Affiliation: Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research
- The role of provider supply and organization in reducing racial/ethnic disparities in mental health care in the U.SBENJAMIN LE COOK
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Somerville, MA 02478, USA
Soc Sci Med 84:102-9. 2013..Policymakers should consider that increasing the management of mental health care may not only decrease expenditures, but also provide a potential lever for reducing mental health care disparities between social groups...
- Racial/ethnic disparity trends in children's mental health care access and expenditures from 2002 to 2007Benjamin Lê Cook
Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Somerville, MA 02143, USA
Health Serv Res 48:129-49. 2013..To examine trends in disparities in children's mental health care...
- Measuring racial/ethnic disparities in health care: methods and practical issuesBENJAMIN LE COOK
Department of Psychiatry, Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Harvard Medical School, Somerville, MA 02143, USA
Health Serv Res 47:1232-54. 2012..To review methods of measuring racial/ethnic health care disparities...
- Racial-ethnic disparities in substance abuse treatment: the role of criminal history and socioeconomic statusBENJAMIN LE COOK
Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Cambridge Health Alliance, Somerville, MA 02143, USA
Psychiatr Serv 62:1273-81. 2011..Little is known about factors underlying this apparent lack of disparities. This study examines racial-ethnic disparities in treatment receipt and mechanisms that reduce or contribute to disparities...
- Assessing racial/ethnic differences in the social consequences of early-onset psychiatric disorderBenjamin Lê Cook
Harvard Medical School Psychiatry and Cambridge Health Alliance, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 21:49-66. 2010..Increasing early detection and treatment of psychiatric illness should be prioritized. Further study will clarify the association between onset and social outcomes among sub-ethnic populations...
- Comparing methods of racial and ethnic disparities measurement across different settings of mental health careBenjamin Lê Cook
Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Instructor, Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, 120 Beacon St, 4th Floor, Somerville, MA 02143, USA
Health Serv Res 45:825-47. 2010..The ability to track improvement against racial/ethnic disparities in mental health care is hindered by the varying methods and disparity definitions used in previous research...
- Crowd-out and exposure effects of physical comorbidities on mental health care use: implications for racial-ethnic disparities in accessBENJAMIN LE COOK
Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, 120 Beacon Street, Somerville, MA 02143, USA
Health Serv Res 46:1259-80. 2011....
- Pathways and correlates connecting Latinos' mental health with exposure to the United StatesBenjamin Cook
Cambridge Health Alliance, Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Harvard Medical School, 120 Beacon St, 4th Floor, Somerville, MA 02143, USA
Am J Public Health 99:2247-54. 2009..We examined potential pathways by which time in the United States may relate to differences in the predicted probability of past-year psychiatric disorder among Latino immigrants as compared with US-born Latinos...
- Measuring racial/ethnic disparities across the distribution of health care expendituresBENJAMIN LE COOK
Cambridge Health Alliance Harvard Medical School, Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Somerville, MA 02143, USA
Health Serv Res 44:1603-21. 2009..To assess whether black-white and Hispanic-white disparities increase or abate in the upper quantiles of total health care expenditure, conditional on covariates...
- The impact of insurance coverage in diminishing racial and ethnic disparities in behavioral health servicesMargarita Alegria
Department of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School and Cambridge Health Alliance, 120 Beacon St, 4th Floor, Somerville, MA 02143, USA
Health Serv Res 47:1322-44. 2012..To estimate whether racial/ethnic behavioral health service disparities are likely to be reduced through insurance expansion coverage expected through the Affordable Health Care Act...
- Whether medically unexplained or not, three or more concurrent somatic symptoms predict psychopathology and service use in community populationsJavier I Escobar
Department of Psychiatry, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ, USA
J Psychosom Res 69:1-8. 2010..To examine the frequency of somatic symptoms in a community population of various ethnic backgrounds and to identify correlates of these symptoms such as psychopathology, use of services, and personal distress...
- Characteristics, access, utilization, satisfaction, and outcomes of healthy start participants in eight sitesMARGO ROSENBACH
Mathematica Policy Research, Inc, Cambridge, MA, 02139, USA
Matern Child Health J 14:666-79. 2010..The life course theory suggests that improved outcomes may require longer-term investments. Healthy Start's emerging focus on interconception care has the potential to address longer-term needs of participants...
- Cost-effectiveness of a randomized trial to treat depression among LatinosNilay Kafali
Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Cambridge Health Alliance Harvard Medical School 120 Beacon Street, 4th Floor, Somerville, MA 02143
J Ment Health Policy Econ 17:41-50. 2014..Identifying cost-effective treatments for depression among Latinos is particularly relevant given substantial disparities in access to depression treatment for Latinos compared to non-Latino whites...
- Effectiveness of the Engagement and Counseling for Latinos (ECLA) intervention in low-income LatinosMargarita Alegria
Center for Multicultural Mental Health Research, Somerville, MA Group Health Research Institute, Seattle, WA Behavioral Sciences Research Institute, University of Puerto Rico Medical School, San Juan, PR Department of Psychology, New York University, NY Department of Psychology, Clark University, MA Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY Department of Psychiatry, MSC University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, PR
Med Care 52:989-97. 2014..Persistent disparities in access and quality of mental health care for Latinos indicate a need for evidence-based, culturally adapted, and outside-the-clinic-walls treatments...