J M Vierling
Affiliation: Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
- Autoimmune cholangiopathyJ M Vierling
Center for Liver Diseases and Transplantation, Los Angeles, California, USA
Clin Liver Dis 3:571-84. 1999..However, it is improbable that the venerable term PBC will be supplanted. Hepatologists will probably continue to use the terms AIC and AMA-negative PBC interchangeably, with little risk of being misunderstood...
- Etiopathogenesis of primary sclerosing cholangitisJohn M Vierling
Department of Surgery, Baylor Liver Health, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Semin Liver Dis 26:3-21. 2006..Progressive periductal fibrosis, chronic inflammation, and ischemic atrophy of biliary epithelia result in ductopenia, cholestasis, and obstructive strictures, culminating in secondary biliary cirrhosis...
- The clinical and immunologic impact of using interferon and ribavirin in the immunosuppressed hostMarius Braun
Center for Liver Diseases and Transplantation and Burns and Allen Research Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, and the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Liver Transpl 9:S79-89. 2003..8. After new, less toxic, and more potent antiviral agents become available, they should be tested immediately in patients with hepatitis C post-liver transplantation...
- Primary biliary cirrhosis and autoimmune cholangiopathyJohn M Vierling
Center for Liver Diseases and Transplantation, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Clin Liver Dis 8:177-94. 2004....
- Evolving new therapies of autoimmune hepatitisJohn M Vierling
Center for Liver Diseases and Transplantation and Burns and Allen Research Institute, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, and UCLA School of Medicine, CA 90048, USA
Clin Liver Dis 6:825-50, ix. 2002..Drugs, such as mycophenolate mofetil, cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and KF20444, can inhibit T cell proliferation, and other interventions promise to deplete activated T cells, impair effector mechanisms, and induce self-tolerance...
- 6-thioguanine can cause serious liver injury in inflammatory bowel disease patientsMarla C Dubinsky
Pediatric Inflammatory Bowel Disease Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, 8635 West Third Street, Suite 1165W, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
Gastroenterology 125:298-303. 2003..The aim of this study was to describe the association between 6-TG and NRH in IBD...
- Sirolimus-induced hyperlipidaemia in liver transplant recipients is not dose-dependentR J Firpi
Center for Liver Diseases and Transplantation, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 19:1033-9. 2004..CONCLUSION: All six patients showed either resolution or improvement in lipid levels with discontinuation of sirolimus...
- Molecular diagnostic techniques for viral hepatitisK Q Hu
Hepatology Section, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 23:479-98. 1994..This review discusses the molecular biology of the five hepatitis viruses, the principles of molecular biological techniques, and their current and future diagnostic applications...
- Transmission of hepatitis B infection from hepatitis B core antibody--positive liver allografts is prevented by lamivudine therapyA S Yu
Center for Liver Diseases and Transplantation, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Liver Transpl 7:513-7. 2001..However, more data are needed to determine the efficacy of lamivudine monotherapy in preventing transmission of HBV infection from anti-HBc(+) liver allografts to susceptible recipients...
- Early hepatic nodular hyperplasia and submicroscopic fibrosis associated with 6-thioguanine therapy in inflammatory bowel diseaseStephen A Geller
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:1204-11. 2004..6-TG-related hepatotoxicity, including liver biochemistry value elevations, sinusoidal collagen deposition on electron microscopy, and veno-occlusive disease, have been described related to its use as therapy for neoplastic disease...
- Living donor liver transplantation: histological abnormalities found on liver biopsies of apparently healthy potential donorsTram T Tran
Department of Medicine Gastroenterology, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Geffen UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:381-3. 2006..In living donor liver transplantation, assessment of histological abnormalities that are undetectable by serological, biochemical and radiological methods might play an important role in donor and recipient outcome...
- Treatment of hepatitis C infectionRise Stribling
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, 1709 Dryden, Suite 1500, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 35:463-86. 2006..Newer therapeutics that are entering clinical trials provide hope that SVRs may be possible in patients who are difficult to treat and in nonresponders to current therapy...
- T cell immunity and graft-versus-host disease (GVHD)Yasunori Ichiki
Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Clinical Immunology, University of California at Davis School of Medicine, TB192, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Autoimmun Rev 5:1-9. 2006..Chronic GVHD involves a wider range of organs and clinical manifestations include scleroderma, liver failure, immune complex disease, glomerulonephritis, and autoantibody formation...
- Risk factors and comorbidities in primary biliary cirrhosis: a controlled interview-based study of 1032 patientsM Eric Gershwin
Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Clinical Immunology, University of California at Davis School of Medicine, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Hepatology 42:1194-202. 2005..Exogenous estrogens may also contribute to explain the female predominance of the disease...
- Future Treatment Options in PBCJohn M Vierling
Baylor Liver Health, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Semin Liver Dis 25:347-63. 2005..Induction of tolerance in susceptible people before onset of disease or of hyporesponsiveness in established disease is increasingly feasible, as is prevention of biliary fibrosis...
- Limited role for CXC chemokines in the pathogenesis of alpha-naphthylisothiocyanate-induced liver injuryJunquan Xu
Liver Center and Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94110, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 287:G734-41. 2004....
- Determinants of early mortality in patients with decompensated chronic hepatitis B treated with antiviral therapyRobert J Fontana
Department of Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Gastroenterology 123:719-27. 2002....
- Quality of life and everyday activities in patients with primary biliary cirrhosisCarlo Selmi
Division of Rheumatology, Allergy, and Clinical Immunology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Hepatology 46:1836-43. 2007..Nevertheless, patients with PBC suffer significantly more than controls from a variety of symptoms that are beyond the immediate impact of liver failure and affect their lifestyle, personal relationships, and work activities...