Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Role of human beta-defensins in HIV infectionA Weinberg
Department of Biological Sciences, School of Dental Medicine, Case Western Reserve University CWRU, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Adv Dent Res 19:42-8. 2006..These properties may be exploited as strategies for mucosal protection against HIV-1 transmission...
- Innate immunity including epithelial and nonspecific host factors: workshop 1BA Weinberg
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Adv Dent Res 23:122-9. 2011..Discovering factors that explain the differential susceptibility and resistance to HIV infection in mucosal sites will allow for the identification and development of novel protective strategies...
- Human beta-defensins: differential activity against candidal species and regulation by Candida albicansZ Feng
Department of Biological Sciences, Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 4905, USA
J Dent Res 84:445-50. 2005..albicans suggests disruption of the fungal membrane. Results support the hypothesis that hBDs control fungal colonization through hyphal induction, direct fungicidal activity, and inhibition of candidal adherence...
- Selective induction of human beta-defensin mRNAs by Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans in primary and immortalized oral epithelial cellsE C Feucht
University Hospital of Cleveland, Cleveland, OH, USA
Oral Microbiol Immunol 18:359-63. 2003..The overall similarity between results obtained in OKF6/Tert cells and NHOECs suggest that the OKF6/Tert cell line may be a useful tool in the study of beta-defensin expression in oral epithelium...
- Measurement of induced cytokines in AIDS clinical trials using whole blood: a preliminary report. ACTG Inducible Cytokines Focus Group. AIDS Clinical Trials GroupR S Wallis
Department of Medicine, University Hospitals and CWRU School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4984, USA
Clin Diagn Lab Immunol 5:556-60. 1998..Further studies are warranted to determine the effect of overnight shipping on assay reproducibility and to determine the extent to which responses can be reliably detected in subjects with low CD4 cell numbers...
- Epithelial antimicrobial peptides: review and significance for oral applicationsA Weinberg
Department of Periodontics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4905, USA
Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 9:399-414. 1998....
- Fusobacterium nucleatum and human beta-defensins modulate the release of antimicrobial chemokine CCL20/macrophage inflammatory protein 3αSantosh K Ghosh
Department of Biological Sciences, School of Dental Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4905, USA
Infect Immun 79:4578-87. 2011..The ability of FnCW and its induced hBDs to produce proinflammatory cytokines and CCL20 suggests the broad role of F. nucleatum and human antimicrobial peptides in primary immune responses elicited by oral epithelium...
- (C3) The oral epithelial cell and first encounters with HIV-1M C Herzberg
Department of Diagnostic and Biological Sciences and the Mucosal and Vaccine Research Center, University of Minnesota, 17 164 Moos Tower, 515 Delaware St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Adv Dent Res 19:158-66. 2006..After seroconversion, the risk of infectious HIV-1 appearing in saliva is negligible. This report considers evidence that oral epithelium has the potential both to enable and to resist infection by HIV-1...
- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) burden, CMV end-organ disease, and survival in subjects with advanced HIV infection (AIDS Clinical Trials Group Protocol 360)A Erice
University of Minnesota, MN, USA
Clin Infect Dis 37:567-78. 2003..HIV-infected subjects with CD4 cell counts of < or =50 cells/mm3 and HIV RNA levels of >10,000 copies/mL of plasma should have blood fractions screened for CMV DNA; if CMV DNA is detected, CMV prophylaxis might be considered...
- Immunization of HIV-infected children with varicella vaccineM J Levin
University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, USA
J Pediatr 139:305-10. 2001..CONCLUSION: On the basis of its safety and immunogenicity, varicella vaccine should be considered in the childhood vaccines given to mildly affected HIV-infected children...
- Expression of the antimicrobial peptide, human beta-defensin 1, in duct cells of minor salivary glands and detection in salivaK S Sahasrabudhe
Dept of Oral Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle 98195 7132, USA
J Dent Res 79:1669-74. 2000..Association of hBD-1 with salivary mucin may facilitate peptide distribution and adherence to oral surfaces and aid its function within the oral cavity...
- In vitro cell-mediated immune responses of human immunodeficiency virus-infected and -uninfected individuals to whole cytomegalovirus antigens and their subunitsA Weinberg
University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado, USA
Clin Vaccine Immunol 15:1398-409. 2008..These data show that LPA and the inducible IFN-gamma production elicited by CMV whole lysates may be used to assess modifications of the immune competency of HIV-infected individuals...