James C Spilsbury
Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Sleep behavior in an urban US sample of school-aged childrenJames C Spilsbury
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Behavioral Pediatrics and Psychology, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 6038, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 158:988-94. 2004..To describe sleep behavior of elementary school-aged children and to assess variations by age, sex, and ethnicity...
- Neighborhood disadvantage as a risk factor for pediatric obstructive sleep apneaJames C Spilsbury
Mental Health Services Inc, 3740 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44115, USA
J Pediatr 149:342-7. 2006..Low socioeconomic status (SES) is associated with a range of health outcomes. Our objective was to study the relationship between residence in a neighborhood of severe socioeconomic disadvantage and childhood obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)...
- The Cleveland adolescent sleepiness questionnaire: a new measure to assess excessive daytime sleepiness in adolescentsJames C Spilsbury
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Case School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106 6083, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 3:603-12. 2007..Developed the Cleveland Adolescent Sleepiness Questionnaire (CASQ), a brief, self-completed instrument to measure excessive daytime sleepiness in adolescents...
- Effects of the home environment on school-aged children's sleepJames C Spilsbury
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Behavioral Pediatrics, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Case School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106 6038, USA
Sleep 28:1419-27. 2005..Examine the relationship between the sleep behavior of elementary school-aged children and characteristics of the home environment...
- Profiles of behavioral problems in children who witness domestic violenceJames C Spilsbury
Case School of Medicine, and Mental Health Services for Homeless Persons, Inc, Cleveland, OH, USA
Violence Vict 23:3-17. 2008..Clinical and future research implications of study findings are discussed...
- Brief report: preliminary results of a suicide awareness mass media campaign in Cuyahoga County, OhioRichard J Oliver
Mental Health Services for Homeless Persons, Inc, Cleveland, OH 44114, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 38:245-9. 2008..We provide this information to catalyze similar sharing of data and experiences among those organizations and agencies working to prevent suicide...
- Sleep as a mediator in the pathway from violence-induced traumatic stress to poorer health and functioning: a review of the literature and proposed conceptual modelJames C Spilsbury
Center for Clinical Investigation, Case School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Behav Sleep Med 7:223-44. 2009..Recommendations are given for future research to test the proposed model...
- How neighborhoods influence child maltreatment: a review of the literature and alternative pathwaysClaudia J Coulton
Center on Urban Poverty and Community Development, Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Child Abuse Negl 31:1117-42. 2007..To review the literature on the relationships between neighborhoods and child maltreatment and identify future directions for research in this area...
- The Epworth score in African American populationsAmanda L Hayes
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, University Hospital Case Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 5:344-8. 2009..African Americans have elevated scores on the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS) compared to whites. The reason for this difference is not clear...