Grace A McComsey
Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Uridine supplementation in the treatment of HIV lipoatrophy: results of ACTG 5229Grace A McComsey
Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AIDS 24:2507-15. 2010..Lipoatrophy is prevalent on thymidine nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (tNRTIs). A pilot trial showed that uridine (NucleomaxX) increased limb fat...
- Alendronate with calcium and vitamin D supplementation is safe and effective for the treatment of decreased bone mineral density in HIVGrace A McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AIDS 21:2473-82. 2007..Bisphosphonates are currently the mainstay of treatment for postmenopausal and male osteoporosis in HIV-uninfected individuals; however, their efficacy and safety in HIV-infected patients remains unclear...
- Bone disease in HIV infection: a practical review and recommendations for HIV care providersGrace A McComsey
Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Clin Infect Dis 51:937-46. 2010..We also discuss the importance of considering secondary causes of osteoporosis. Finally, we discuss treatment of the more severe cases of bone disease, while outlining the caveats and gaps in our knowledge...
- Changes in fat mitochondrial DNA and function in subjects randomized to abacavir-lamivudine or tenofovir DF-emtricitabine with atazanavir-ritonavir or efavirenz: AIDS Clinical Trials Group study A5224s, substudy of A5202Grace A McComsey
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Infect Dis 207:604-11. 2013..The effect of nonthymidine nucleoside reverse-transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) on fat mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) content and function is unclear...
- Inflammation markers after randomization to abacavir/lamivudine or tenofovir/emtricitabine with efavirenz or atazanavir/ritonavirGrace A McComsey
Case Western Reserve University and Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
AIDS 26:1371-85. 2012..The effect of specific antiretrovirals on inflammation is unclear...
- Carotid intima media thickness, inflammatory markers, and endothelial activation markers in HIV Patients with lipoatrophy increased at 48 weeks regardless of use of rosiglitazone or placeboMarisa Tungsiripat
Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 27:295-302. 2011..008). In our study of virologically controlled subjects with lipoatrophy, rosiglitazone did not independently increase carotid IMT, endothelial activation, and inflammatory cytokines...
- Mitochondrial function, inflammation, fat and bone in HIV lipoatrophy: randomized study of uridine supplementation or switch to tenofovirGrace A McComsey
University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Antivir Ther 17:347-53. 2012..Lipoatrophy modestly improves when the thymidine analogue nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (tNRTI) is removed. In vitro, uridine (NucleomaxX(®); Pharma Nord, Vojens, Denmark) reversed tNRTI mitochondrial toxicity...
- Increased carotid intima media thickness and cardiac biomarkers in HIV infected childrenGrace A McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Childrens Hospital, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
AIDS 21:921-7. 2007..To assess carotid intima media thickness (IMT) and cardiac biomarkers in HIV infected children on antiretroviral therapy (ART)...
- Elevated D-dimer is independently associated with endothelial dysfunction: a cross-sectional study in HIV-infected adults on antiretroviral therapyCorrilynn O Hileman
MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, USA
Antivir Ther 17:1345-9. 2012..D-Dimer elevations have been associated with a striking increase in mortality in HIV-infected patients. However, D-Dimer has not been directly linked to endothelial dysfunction in HIV...
- Rosiglitazone improves lipoatrophy in patients receiving thymidine-sparing regimensMarisa Tungsiripat
Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA
AIDS 24:1291-8. 2010..None specifically excluded the use of tNRTIs. We report the first study in individuals treated with tNRTI-sparing regimens using a TZD for treatment of HIV lipoatrophy...
- Subjective clinical lipoatrophy assessment correlates with DEXA-measured limb fatMarisa Tungsiripat
Department of Infectious Diseases, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
HIV Clin Trials 10:314-9. 2009..We aim to assess the validity of physician- and patient-rated diagnoses of lipoatrophy by evaluating the correlation between clinical assessments of lipoatrophy and objective fat indices...
- Mitochondrial RNA and DNA alterations in HIV lipoatrophy are linked to antiretroviral therapy and not to HIV infectionGrace A McComsey
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Antivir Ther 13:715-22. 2008..The aim of this study was to assess the effect of antiretroviral therapy (ART) versus HIV on mitochondria in fat...
- Heightened inflammation is linked to carotid intima-media thickness and endothelial activation in HIV-infected childrenAllison C Ross
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Atherosclerosis 211:492-8. 2010..We compared proinflammatory cytokines and adhesion molecules in HIV+ children versus healthy controls, and assessed their relationship to carotid intima-media thickness (IMT)...
- Peripheral and central fat changes in subjects randomized to abacavir-lamivudine or tenofovir-emtricitabine with atazanavir-ritonavir or efavirenz: ACTG Study A5224sGrace A McComsey
Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, Case Western Reserve University and Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Clin Infect Dis 53:185-96. 2011..We compare the effect of 4 different antiretroviral regimens on limb and visceral fat...
- Endothelial activation markers are linked to HIV status and are independent of antiretroviral therapy and lipoatrophyAllison C Ross
Department of Pediatrics, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, and Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 49:499-506. 2008....
- Increased mtDNA levels without change in mitochondrial enzymes in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of infants born to HIV-infected mothers on antiretroviral therapyGrace A McComsey
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
HIV Clin Trials 9:126-36. 2008..The effects of gestational nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) on mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) are controversial. The effects of mtDNA depletion on mitochondrial function have not been assessed...
- Vitamin D supplementation and endothelial function in vitamin D deficient HIV-infected patients: a randomized placebo-controlled trialChris T Longenecker
University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, USA
Antivir Ther 17:613-21. 2012..Vitamin D deficiency is prevalent in HIV patients but the effect of vitamin D supplementation on cardiovascular risk in this population is unknown...
- Improvements in lipoatrophy, mitochondrial DNA levels and fat apoptosis after replacing stavudine with abacavir or zidovudineGrace A McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital bCase School of Medicine Center for AIDS Research, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AIDS 19:15-23. 2005..As apoptosis and dysfunction of electron transport chain (ETC) activities may underlie mitochondrial toxicity, these parameters were also evaluated...
- Bone mineral density and fractures in antiretroviral-naive persons randomized to receive abacavir-lamivudine or tenofovir disoproxil fumarate-emtricitabine along with efavirenz or atazanavir-ritonavir: Aids Clinical Trials Group A5224s, a substudy of ACTGGrace A McComsey
Departments of Pediatrics and Medicine, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Infect Dis 203:1791-801. 2011..Long-term effects of abacavir (ABC)-lamivudine (3TC), compared with tenofovir (TDF)-emtricitabine (FTC) with efavirenz (EFV) or atazanavir plus ritonavir (ATV/r), on bone mineral density (BMD) have not been analyzed...
- Omega-3 fatty acids do not improve endothelial function in virologically suppressed HIV-infected men: a randomized placebo-controlled trialCorrilynn O Hileman
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 28:649-55. 2012..This suggests that omega-3 fatty acids may not be potent enough to counteract the enhanced inflammation and endothelial dysfunction due to HIV and antiretrovirals...
- Higher plasma myeloperoxidase levels are not associated with an increased risk for cardiovascular events in HIV-infected adultsDalia El-Bejjani
Case Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
HIV Clin Trials 9:207-11. 2008..Elevated myeloperoxidase (MPO) levels are predictive of high cardiovascular (CV) risk in the general population. The value of MPO as a CV marker in the HIV population has not been investigated...
- Immunologic failure despite suppressive antiretroviral therapy is related to activation and turnover of memory CD4 cellsMichael M Lederman
Division of Infectious Diseases, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Infect Dis 204:1217-26. 2011..Failure to normalize CD4(+) T-cell numbers despite effective antiretroviral therapy is an important problem in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection...
- Short communication: initiation of an abacavir-containing regimen in HIV-infected adults is associated with a smaller decrease in inflammation and endothelial activation markers compared to non-abacavir-containing regimensCorrilynn O Hileman
MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 28:1561-4. 2012..When taken with an NNRTI, abacavir induced a smaller decrease in inflammation biomarkers in this cohort, suggesting a possible proinflammatory effect of this nucleoside analogue...
- Antiretroviral therapy in HIV-infected children: the metabolic cost of improved survivalEthan G Leonard
Department of Pediatrics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 4410, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 19:713-29. 2005..The benefits of HAART in HIV infection are indisputable, but the impetus to find a cure or design more tolerable therapy is clear. Infarction may replace infection as the major cause of morbidity and mortality from HIV...
- Asymptomatic hyperlactataemia: predictive value, natural history and correlatesGrace A McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Cleveland, OH, USA
Antivir Ther 9:205-12. 2004..The significance of asymptomatic hyperlactataemia is unknown...
- Chemokine (C-C motif) receptor 5 -2459 genotype in patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy: race-specific influence on virologic successRajeev K Mehlotra
Center for Global Health and Diseases and Diseases, Wolstein Research Bldg, Room 4204, 2103 Cornell Rd, Cleveland, OH 44106 7286, USA
J Infect Dis 204:291-8. 2011..In patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), antiretroviral drug-metabolizing enzyme and transporter gene polymorphisms, as well as chemokine receptor gene polymorphisms, may influence response to treatment...
- Fragility fractures in HIV-infected patients: need for better understanding of diagnosis and managementGrace A McComsey
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic) 3:86-91. 2004..In HIV and ART, osteopenia and osteoporosis are multifactorial, and health promotion or medical health maintenance should anticipate and prevent morbidity of bone fragility fractures...
- HIV-1 is not a major driver of increased plasma IL-6 levels in chronic HIV-1 diseaseCarey L Shive
Division of Infectious Diseases, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 61:145-52. 2012..This study was designed to explore the relationship between HIV-1 replication and IL-6 induction...
- Improvement in lipoatrophy associated with highly active antiretroviral therapy in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients switched from stavudine to abacavir or zidovudine: the results of the TARHEEL studyGrace A McComsey
Case Western Reserve, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:263-70. 2004..HIV suppression was maintained over the study period. In conclusion, replacing stavudine with abacavir or zidovudine resulted in improvement in stavudine-induced lipoatrophy...
- Relationship between inflammatory markers, endothelial activation markers, and carotid intima-media thickness in HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapyAllison C Ross
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, 11100 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Clin Infect Dis 49:1119-27. 2009....
- New entrants to HIV care are presenting only at marginally earlier stages of disease but may increasingly represent groups perceived at lower riskChariclia V Loupa
Center for AIDS Research, Case Western Reserve University University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic) 4:47-51. 2005..Treatment has improved HIV infection prognosis, but whether risk and health care seeking behavior have improved is unclear...
- Salsalate is poorly tolerated and fails to improve endothelial function in virologically suppressed HIV-infected adultsCorrilynn O Hileman
University Hospitals Case Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
AIDS 24:1958-61. 2010..Tinnitus and transaminitis occurred frequently in the salsalate group. Dose reduction due to toxicities encountered and low level of inflammation may explain these results...
- Metabolic complications of antiretroviral therapy in childrenEthan G Leonard
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:77-84. 2003..This review summarizes the epidemiology and management of lipodystrophy, dyslipidemia, insulin resistance, hyperlactatemia, osteopenia and growth failure in HIV-infected children...
- Lipid oxidative markers are significantly increased in lipoatrophy but not in sustained asymptomatic hyperlactatemiaGrace A McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, and Center for AIDS Research of Case Western Reserve University, and University Hospitals of Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 34:45-9. 2003..082 +/- 0.021 vs. 0.053 +/- 0.021, respectively; P < 0.05)...
- First reported case of Neisseria meningitidis periorbital cellulitis associated with meningitisDavid V Chand
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases and Rheumatology, Department of Pediatrics, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Pediatrics 116:e874-5. 2005..Cellulitis is a rare manifestation of meningococcal disease. We describe the case of a previously healthy 4-month-old female infant who developed periorbital cellulitis associated with meningococcal meningitis...
- High doses of riboflavin and thiamine may help in secondary prevention of hyperlactatemiaGrace A McComsey
Pediatric Infectious Diseases Division, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Western Reserve University, Cleveland, USA
AIDS Read 12:222-4. 2002..Therefore, there is a need to investigate ways to prevent the recurrence of hyperlactatemia in patients who require NRTI-based therapy...
- Buffalo hump: what the experts suggestPeter J Piliero
AIDS Clin Care 16:22-3. 2004
- Lack of recurrence of hyperlactatemia in HIV-infected patients switched from stavudine to abacavir or zidovudineJ Tyler Lonergan
Department of Medicine, Owen Clinic University of California at San Diego Medical Center, 92103, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:935-42. 2004....
- Metabolic complications of HIV therapy in childrenGrace A McComsey
AIDS 18:1753-68. 2004
- Cord blood lipids in infants born to HIV-1-infected women treated with combination antiretroviral therapyAnn J Melvin
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Antivir Ther 13:349-55. 2008....
- Fatty liver in HIV infection: metabolic syndrome, medicines, mitochondria, and more?Pierre M Gholam
AIDS Read 17:516-7. 2007
- Oxidant stress and peripheral neuropathy during antiretroviral therapy: an AIDS clinical trials group studyTodd Hulgan
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37203, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 42:450-4. 2006..Mitochondria play a central role in regulating oxidant stress. We explored the relationships between oxidant stress and NRTI-induced peripheral neuropathy...
- Index of suspicionIhuoma Eneli
Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich, USA
Pediatr Rev 27:389-94. 2006
- Lipids and lactate in human immunodeficiency virus-1 infected pregnancies with or without protease inhibitor-based therapyElizabeth G Livingston
Duke University, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Obstet Gynecol 110:391-7. 2007..To evaluate the effect of protease inhibitors on lipid and lactate levels and gastrointestinal symptoms in pregnancy...