G A McComsey
Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Mitochondrial function, inflammation, fat and bone in HIV lipoatrophy: randomized study of uridine supplementation or switch to tenofovirGrace A McComsey
University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Antivir Ther 17:347-53. 2012..Lipoatrophy modestly improves when the thymidine analogue nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (tNRTI) is removed. In vitro, uridine (NucleomaxX(®); Pharma Nord, Vojens, Denmark) reversed tNRTI mitochondrial toxicity...
- Increased mtDNA levels without change in mitochondrial enzymes in peripheral blood mononuclear cells of infants born to HIV-infected mothers on antiretroviral therapyGrace A McComsey
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
HIV Clin Trials 9:126-36. 2008..The effects of gestational nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) on mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) are controversial. The effects of mtDNA depletion on mitochondrial function have not been assessed...
- Mitochondrial dysfunction: patient monitoring and toxicity managementGrace McComsey
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 37:S30-5. 2004..This may allow prompt discontinuation of the causative agent(s) and initiation of appropriate therapeutic measures, thereby increasing the chances of reversibility of the syndrome...
- Fragility fractures in HIV-infected patients: need for better understanding of diagnosis and managementGrace A McComsey
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic) 3:86-91. 2004..In HIV and ART, osteopenia and osteoporosis are multifactorial, and health promotion or medical health maintenance should anticipate and prevent morbidity of bone fragility fractures...
- Improvements in lipoatrophy, mitochondrial DNA levels and fat apoptosis after replacing stavudine with abacavir or zidovudineGrace A McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital bCase School of Medicine Center for AIDS Research, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AIDS 19:15-23. 2005..As apoptosis and dysfunction of electron transport chain (ETC) activities may underlie mitochondrial toxicity, these parameters were also evaluated...
- Extensive investigations of mitochondrial DNA genome in treated HIV-infected subjects: beyond mitochondrial DNA depletionGrace McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital and Center for AIDS Research of Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 39:181-8. 2005..In past investigations, studies have looked at mtDNA depletion and a few specific mutations but not at the entire mtDNA genome to correlate with clinical toxicity...
- Increased carotid intima media thickness and cardiac biomarkers in HIV infected childrenGrace A McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Childrens Hospital, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
AIDS 21:921-7. 2007..To assess carotid intima media thickness (IMT) and cardiac biomarkers in HIV infected children on antiretroviral therapy (ART)...
- Uridine supplementation in HIV lipoatrophy: pilot trial on safety and effect on mitochondrial indicesG A McComsey
Department of Pediatrics, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Eur J Clin Nutr 62:1031-7. 2008..We aim to study the effect of uridine supplementation on human adipocyte mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) levels in subjects with human immunodeficiency (HIV) lipoatrophy...
- Effect of reducing the dose of stavudine on body composition, bone density, and markers of mitochondrial toxicity in HIV-infected subjects: a randomized, controlled studyG A McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:1290-6. 2008..Lipoatrophy and mitochondrial toxicity have been linked to stavudine use, but it is unclear whether switching to a lower dose can reduce these toxicities while maintaining human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) suppression...
- Asymptomatic hyperlactataemia: predictive value, natural history and correlatesGrace A McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Cleveland, OH, USA
Antivir Ther 9:205-12. 2004..The significance of asymptomatic hyperlactataemia is unknown...
- Effect of antioxidants on glucose metabolism and plasma lipids in HIV-infected subjects with lipoatrophyGrace McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 33:605-7. 2003..Controlled trials are required to evaluate directly the effects of these agents on lipid and glucose metabolism...
- Update on mitochondrial toxicity of antiretrovirals and its link to lipodystrophyGrace McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Case Western Reserve University Center for AIDS Research, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AIDS Rev 4:140-7. 2002..This review will focus on the pathogenesis of mitochondrion damage caused by nucleoside analogs and its clinical consequences, particularly in respect to body-shape changes...
- Analysis of the mitochondrial DNA genome in the peripheral blood leukocytes of HIV-infected patients with or without lipoatrophyGrace McComsey
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Infectious Diseases, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
AIDS 16:513-8. 2002..To investigate the molecular mechanisms of nucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI)-associated mitochondrial dysfunction...
- Improvement in lipoatrophy associated with highly active antiretroviral therapy in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients switched from stavudine to abacavir or zidovudine: the results of the TARHEEL studyGrace A McComsey
Case Western Reserve, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:263-70. 2004..HIV suppression was maintained over the study period. In conclusion, replacing stavudine with abacavir or zidovudine resulted in improvement in stavudine-induced lipoatrophy...
- Lipid oxidative markers are significantly increased in lipoatrophy but not in sustained asymptomatic hyperlactatemiaGrace A McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, and Center for AIDS Research of Case Western Reserve University, and University Hospitals of Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 34:45-9. 2003..082 +/- 0.021 vs. 0.053 +/- 0.021, respectively; P < 0.05)...
- Impact of protease inhibitor substitution with efavirenz in HIV-infected children: results of the First Pediatric Switch StudyGrace McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Center for AIDS Research, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Pediatrics 111:e275-81. 2003..We report here the results of the first open-label PI-switch study in HIV-infected children...
- Relationship between inflammatory markers, endothelial activation markers, and carotid intima-media thickness in HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapyAllison C Ross
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, 11100 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Clin Infect Dis 49:1119-27. 2009....
- Mitochondrial RNA and DNA alterations in HIV lipoatrophy are linked to antiretroviral therapy and not to HIV infectionGrace A McComsey
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Antivir Ther 13:715-22. 2008..The aim of this study was to assess the effect of antiretroviral therapy (ART) versus HIV on mitochondria in fat...
- Placebo-controlled trial of prednisone in advanced HIV-1 infectionG A McComsey
Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals of Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AIDS 15:321-7. 2001..These results suggest that, in stable HIV-1 disease, these immune activation markers are more likely consequences of but not inducers of HIV-1 replication...
- Metabolic complications of antiretroviral therapy in childrenEthan G Leonard
Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 22:77-84. 2003..This review summarizes the epidemiology and management of lipodystrophy, dyslipidemia, insulin resistance, hyperlactatemia, osteopenia and growth failure in HIV-infected children...
- Antiretroviral therapy in HIV-infected children: the metabolic cost of improved survivalEthan G Leonard
Department of Pediatrics, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 4410, USA
Infect Dis Clin North Am 19:713-29. 2005..The benefits of HAART in HIV infection are indisputable, but the impetus to find a cure or design more tolerable therapy is clear. Infarction may replace infection as the major cause of morbidity and mortality from HIV...
- Rosiglitazone improves lipoatrophy in patients receiving thymidine-sparing regimensMarisa Tungsiripat
Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA
AIDS 24:1291-8. 2010..None specifically excluded the use of tNRTIs. We report the first study in individuals treated with tNRTI-sparing regimens using a TZD for treatment of HIV lipoatrophy...
- Statins Blunt HAART-Induced CD4 T-Cell Gains but Have No Long-Term Effect on Virologic Response to HAARTBenigno Rodriguez
University Hospitals of Cleveland and Case Western Reserve University Center for AIDS Research, Cleveland, OH
J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic) 6:198-202. 2007..Statins are increasingly used in HIV-infected patients, but the effect of their immunomodulatory properties on antiretroviral-induced immune reconstitution is unknown...
- Alendronate with calcium and vitamin D supplementation is safe and effective for the treatment of decreased bone mineral density in HIVGrace A McComsey
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
AIDS 21:2473-82. 2007..Bisphosphonates are currently the mainstay of treatment for postmenopausal and male osteoporosis in HIV-uninfected individuals; however, their efficacy and safety in HIV-infected patients remains unclear...
- Higher plasma myeloperoxidase levels are not associated with an increased risk for cardiovascular events in HIV-infected adultsDalia El-Bejjani
Case Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
HIV Clin Trials 9:207-11. 2008..Elevated myeloperoxidase (MPO) levels are predictive of high cardiovascular (CV) risk in the general population. The value of MPO as a CV marker in the HIV population has not been investigated...
- Cord blood lipids in infants born to HIV-1-infected women treated with combination antiretroviral therapyAnn J Melvin
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Antivir Ther 13:349-55. 2008....
- Endothelial activation markers are linked to HIV status and are independent of antiretroviral therapy and lipoatrophyAllison C Ross
Department of Pediatrics, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, and Department of Pediatrics and Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 49:499-506. 2008....
- Subjective clinical lipoatrophy assessment correlates with DEXA-measured limb fatMarisa Tungsiripat
Department of Infectious Diseases, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
HIV Clin Trials 10:314-9. 2009..We aim to assess the validity of physician- and patient-rated diagnoses of lipoatrophy by evaluating the correlation between clinical assessments of lipoatrophy and objective fat indices...
- Heightened inflammation is linked to carotid intima-media thickness and endothelial activation in HIV-infected childrenAllison C Ross
Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Atherosclerosis 211:492-8. 2010..We compared proinflammatory cytokines and adhesion molecules in HIV+ children versus healthy controls, and assessed their relationship to carotid intima-media thickness (IMT)...
- Markers of inflammation and CD8 T-cell activation, but not monocyte activation, are associated with subclinical carotid artery disease in HIV-infected individualsC T Longenecker
Harrington Heart and Vascular Institute, Cleveland, OH, USA
HIV Med 14:385-90. 2013..The aim of the study was to explore the relationships between lymphocyte and monocyte activation, inflammation, and subclinical vascular disease among HIV-1-infected patients on antiretroviral therapy (ART)...
- High doses of riboflavin and thiamine may help in secondary prevention of hyperlactatemiaGrace A McComsey
Pediatric Infectious Diseases Division, Rainbow Babies and Children s Hospital, Western Reserve University, Cleveland, USA
AIDS Read 12:222-4. 2002..Therefore, there is a need to investigate ways to prevent the recurrence of hyperlactatemia in patients who require NRTI-based therapy...
- New entrants to HIV care are presenting only at marginally earlier stages of disease but may increasingly represent groups perceived at lower riskChariclia V Loupa
Center for AIDS Research, Case Western Reserve University University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic) 4:47-51. 2005..Treatment has improved HIV infection prognosis, but whether risk and health care seeking behavior have improved is unclear...
- Oxidant stress and peripheral neuropathy during antiretroviral therapy: an AIDS clinical trials group studyTodd Hulgan
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37203, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 42:450-4. 2006..Mitochondria play a central role in regulating oxidant stress. We explored the relationships between oxidant stress and NRTI-induced peripheral neuropathy...
- Buffalo hump: what the experts suggestPeter J Piliero
AIDS Clin Care 16:22-3. 2004
- Lack of recurrence of hyperlactatemia in HIV-infected patients switched from stavudine to abacavir or zidovudineJ Tyler Lonergan
Department of Medicine, Owen Clinic University of California at San Diego Medical Center, 92103, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:935-42. 2004....
- Metabolic complications of HIV therapy in childrenGrace A McComsey
AIDS 18:1753-68. 2004
- Lipids and lactate in human immunodeficiency virus-1 infected pregnancies with or without protease inhibitor-based therapyElizabeth G Livingston
Duke University, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Obstet Gynecol 110:391-7. 2007..To evaluate the effect of protease inhibitors on lipid and lactate levels and gastrointestinal symptoms in pregnancy...
- Index of suspicionIhuoma Eneli
Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich, USA
Pediatr Rev 27:389-94. 2006
- Fatty liver in HIV infection: metabolic syndrome, medicines, mitochondria, and more?Pierre M Gholam
AIDS Read 17:516-7. 2007