Genomes and Genes
Stephen M Maricich
Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Rodents rely on Merkel cells for texture discrimination tasksStephen M Maricich
Department of Pediatrics and Departments of Dermatology, Neurosciences, and Otolaryngology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Neurosci 32:3296-300. 2012..These findings suggest that Merkel cell/neurite complexes are essential for texture discrimination tasks involving glabrous skin but not whiskers...
- Atoh1-lineal neurons are required for hearing and for the survival of neurons in the spiral ganglion and brainstem accessory auditory nucleiStephen M Maricich
Department of Pediatrics and Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Neurosci 29:11123-33. 2009..These new mouse models of predominantly central deafness illuminate the importance of the CN for support of a subset of peripheral and central auditory neurons...
- Mammalian Merkel cells are descended from the epidermal lineageKristin M Morrison
Department of Pediatrics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Dev Biol 336:76-83. 2009..Thus, mammalian Merkel cells are derived from the skin lineage...
- Peripheral somatosensation: a touch of geneticsErin G Reed-Geaghan
Department of Pediatrics, Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, United States
Curr Opin Genet Dev 21:240-8. 2011..Here, we review the cadre of genes that control these processes, focusing on mechanosensitive neurons and support cells of the skin that mediate different aspects of the sense of touch...
- Pontocerebellar hypoplasia: review of classification and genetics, and exclusion of several genes known to be important for cerebellar developmentStephen M Maricich
Department of Pediatrics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Child Neurol 26:288-94. 2011..We conclude that classification based on clinical, imaging, and neuropathological findings does not differentiate between pontocerebellar hypoplasia subtypes with different genetic causes...
- Factors in the genetic background suppress the engrailed-1 cerebellar phenotypeNatalie A Bilovocky
Alzheimer Research Laboratory, University Hospitals Research Institute, Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Neurosci 23:5105-12. 2003..In support of this, C57BL/6-En1-/- embryos that are also En2+/- lack a cerebellum and caudal midbrain: a phenotype identical to 129/Sv-En1-/- mice...
- The role of Atoh1 in the development and function of Merkel cellsStephen M Maricich; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is hoped that this information will provide insight into a number of human diseases that affect touch sensation. ..