Susan M Ludington-Hoe
Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Infant crying: nature, physiologic consequences, and select interventionsSusan M Ludington-Hoe
Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing in Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Neonatal Netw 21:29-36. 2002..Other interventions for crying include swaddled holding, a pacifier, sugar water, a sweet-tasting nonsucrose solution, heartbeat sounds, distraction by lullabies or mother's voice, rhythmic movement, and reduction of external stimuli...
- Safe criteria and procedure for kangaroo care with intubated preterm infantsSusan M Ludington-Hoe
Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Cleveland, OH 44106 4904, USA
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 32:579-88. 2003..No adverse events occurred with the criteria and protocol reported here, suggesting that they can be adopted for broader use...
- Skin-to-skin contact (Kangaroo Care) analgesia for preterm infant heel stickSusan M Ludington-Hoe
FP Bolton School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4904, and the Pediatric Critical Care Center, Children s Hospital of New Jersey, Newark, USA
AACN Clin Issues 16:373-87. 2005..Kangaroo Care positioning before and during heel stick is a simple and inexpensive analgesic intervention to ameliorate pain in stable premature infants...
- Breast and infant temperatures with twins during shared Kangaroo CareSusan M Ludington-Hoe
Walters Professor of Pediatric Nursing Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Cleveland, OH 46104 4904, USA
J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 35:223-31. 2006..Physiological explanations for thermal synchrony exist. These data suggest that twins can be simultaneously held in Kangaroo Care without thermal compromise because each breast responds individually to the infant's thermal needs...
- Kangaroo care with twins: a case study in which one infant did not respond as expectedJulia R Jarrell
Case Western Reserve University, Bolton School of Nursing, Cleveland, OH 44106 4904, USA
Neonatal Netw 28:157-63. 2009..The purposes were to relate responses (including unacceptable ones) of twins to shared kangaroo care (KC), to provide explanations for the unexpected responses, and to offer suggestions for safe nursing practice...
- Randomized controlled trial of kangaroo care: cardiorespiratory and thermal effects on healthy preterm infantsSusan M Ludington-Hoe
Case Western Reserve University, USA
Neonatal Netw 23:39-48. 2004..To determine the safety and effects on healthy preterm infants of three continuous hours of kangaroo care (KC) compared to standard NICU care by measuring cardiorespiratory and thermal responses...
- Neurophysiologic assessment of neonatal sleep organization: preliminary results of a randomized, controlled trial of skin contact with preterm infantsSusan M Ludington-Hoe
School of Nursing, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4904, USA
Pediatrics 117:e909-23. 2006..Important differences exist between behavioral and electroencephalographic/polysomnographic definitions of sleep state...
- Breastfeeding in African-American womenSusan M Ludington-Hoe
Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Room 322D, Cleveland, OH 44106 4904, USA
J Natl Black Nurses Assoc 13:56-64. 2002..Interventions based on cultural points and characteristics that have been found to or may promote breastfeeding in African-American women are presented...