M J Laughlin
Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Hematopoietic engraftment and survival in adult recipients of umbilical-cord blood from unrelated donorsM J Laughlin
Department of Medicine, Ireland Cancer Center at University Hospitals of Cleveland and Case Western Reserve University, OH 44106 5065, USA
N Engl J Med 344:1815-22. 2001..We studied the use of transplantation of umbilical-cord blood to restore hematopoiesis in adults...
- Prospective study of one- vs two-unit umbilical cord blood transplantation following reduced intensity conditioning in adults with hematological malignanciesT L Kindwall-Keller
Department of Medicine, Case Comprehensive Cancer Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 47:924-33. 2012..Taken together, one-unit UCB transplantation with a threshold cell dose 2.5 × 10(7)/kg recipient weight after RIC is a viable option for adults, although infusion of two units confers a lower relapse incidence...
- Umbilical cord blood for allogeneic transplantation in children and adultsM J Laughlin
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals Ireland Cancer Center, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 27:1-6. 2001..Intensive clinical and laboratory research is ongoing focused on strategies to foster UCB allogeneic donor engraftment, thereby allowing wider application of this stem cell source for patients requiring allogeneic transplantation...
- Umbilical cord blood transplantation in adult myeloid leukemiaW W Tse
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Case Comprehensive Cancer Center, Abraham J and Phyllis Katz Cord Blood Foundation, Center for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106 7284, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 41:465-72. 2008..Clinical studies are needed with focus on disease-specific UCB transplantation outcomes, including AML, acute lymphoblastic leukemia, and lymphoma...
- The bone marrow-expressed antimicrobial cationic peptide LL-37 enhances the responsiveness of hematopoietic stem progenitor cells to an SDF-1 gradient and accelerates their engraftment after transplantationW Wu
Department of Medicine, Stem Cell Institute at the James Graham Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Leukemia 26:736-45. 2012..This novel approach would be particularly important in cord blood transplantations, where the number of HSCs available is usually limited...
- Reduced expression of NFAT-associated genes in UCB versus adult CD4+ T lymphocytes during primary stimulationBeth A Kaminski
Case Western Reserve University, 11100 Euclid Ave, Wearn 433, Cleveland, OH 44106 5065, USA
Blood 102:4608-17. 2003..Reduced global expression of NFAT-associated genes, as well as cytokines and chemokines, in UCB CD4+ T cells may contribute to the decreased graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) observed after UCB transplantation...
- Deficient IFN-gamma expression in umbilical cord blood (UCB) T cells can be rescued by IFN-gamma-mediated increase in NFATc2 expressionSuzanne Kadereit
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 5061, USA
J Clin Immunol 23:485-97. 2003..Our results point to impaired function in the antigen-presenting cell population of cord blood, playing a role in the hyporesponsiveness of T cells...
- Reduced CTLA-4 protein and messenger RNA expression in umbilical cord blood T lymphocytesRobin E Miller
Department of Pediatrics, University Hospitals Ireland Comprehensive Cancer Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Exp Hematol 30:738-44. 2002..CTLA-4 mediates negative T-cell signaling and may contribute to the development of allogeneic tolerance. In this study, we compared protein and mRNA expression of CTLA-4 in stimulated UCB and adult peripheral blood T cells...
- Expansion of LTC-ICs and maintenance of p21 and BCL-2 expression in cord blood CD34(+)/CD38(-) early progenitors cultured over human MSCs as a feeder layerSuzanne Kadereit
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 5061, USA
Stem Cells 20:573-82. 2002....
- Influence of human leucocyte antigen disparity and graft lymphocytes on allogeneic engraftment and survival after umbilical cord blood transplant in adultsWillem J van Heeckeren
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Br J Haematol 139:464-74. 2007....
- Umbilical cord blood stem cells: implications for cardiovascular regenerative medicineJonathan L Goldberg
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106 7284, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 42:912-20. 2007..Although studies suggest efficacy with no obvious safety concerns the mechanism for this therapeutic effect is unknown...
- Unrelated cord blood allogeneic stem cell transplantation for MDSMary J Laughlin
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106 7284, USA
Leuk Lymphoma 47:569-70. 2006
- Recipient-specific tolerance after HLA-mismatched umbilical cord blood stem cell transplantationThomas O Kleen
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106 7284, USA
Transplantation 80:1316-22. 2005..However, despite the increased use of UCB in stem cell transplantation, the mechanisms underlying these favorable outcomes are not well delineated...
- Kinetics of myeloid and lymphocyte recovery and infectious complications after unrelated umbilical cord blood versus HLA-matched unrelated donor allogeneic transplantation in adultsNashaat S Hamza
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University University Hospitals Research Institute, Cleveland, OH 44106 5065, USA
Br J Haematol 124:488-98. 2004..25 in UCB and 0.35 in MUD recipients. UCB transplantation in adults is associated with delayed neutrophil and lymphocyte recovery compared with MUD grafting, and higher rates of bacteraemia at early time points after transplantation...
- Neutralization of autocrine transforming growth factor-beta in human cord blood CD34(+)CD38(-)Lin(-) cells promotes stem-cell-factor-mediated erythropoietin-independent early erythroid progenitor development and reduces terminal differentiationSalem Akel
Leukocyte Biology Section, Basic Research Laboratory, Center for Cancer Research, NCI Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702 1201, USA
Stem Cells 21:557-67. 2003..Serum addition stimulated enucleation (54% +/- 18%), which was lower (26% +/- 14%) with anti-TGF-beta, suggesting that optimal erythroid enucleation is Epo dependent, requiring serum factors including TGF-beta1...
- Outcomes after transplantation of cord blood or bone marrow from unrelated donors in adults with leukemiaMary J Laughlin
Case Comprehensive Cancer Center and University Hospitals of Cleveland Ireland Cancer Center, Cleveland, USA
N Engl J Med 351:2265-75. 2004..Data regarding the outcome of cord-blood transplantation in adults are scant, despite the fact that these grafts are increasingly used in adults...
- MECHANISMS UNDERLYING GRAFT-VERSUS-HOST DISEASEMary Laughlin; Fiscal Year: 2004..Moreover, since NFAT1 regulates the gene expression of cytokines and immunomodulatory molecules known to mediate GVHD, their studies may reveal new therapeutic approaches to the treatment and/or prophylaxis of GVHD. ..
- Marrow-Derived Stem Cells for Coronary Artery IschemiaMary Laughlin; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..