Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- PPARgamma agonists as therapeutics for the treatment of Alzheimer's diseaseGary Landreth
Alzheimer Research Laboratory, Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Neurotherapeutics 5:481-9. 2008..Recent clinical trials of the PPARgamma agonist rosiglitazone have shown significant improvement in memory and cognition in AD patients. Thus, PPARgamma represents an important new therapeutic target in treating AD...
- In vivo measurement of apolipoprotein E from the brain interstitial fluid using microdialysisJASON D ULRICH
Department of Neurology, Saint Louis, MO, USA
Mol Neurodegener 8:13. 2013..We have developed an assay to measure apoE levels in the brain interstitial fluid of awake and freely moving mice using large molecular weight cut-off microdialysis probes...
- Response to comments on "ApoE-directed therapeutics rapidly clear β-amyloid and reverse deficits in AD mouse models"Gary E Landreth
Alzheimer Research Laboratory, Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Science 340:924-g. 2013..However, we concluded that plaque burden is functionally unrelated to improved cognition and memory elicited by bexarotene...
- Toll-like receptors in Alzheimer's diseaseGary E Landreth
Alzheimer Research Laboratory, Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 336:137-53. 2009..The TLR-mediated microglial response has beneficial roles in stimulating phagocytosis as well as detrimental roles in the Abeta-stimulated release of neurotoxic products...
- PPARgamma agonists as new therapeutic agents for the treatment of Alzheimer's diseaseGary Landreth
Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Exp Neurol 199:245-8. 2006
- Therapeutic use of agonists of the nuclear receptor PPARgamma in Alzheimer's diseaseGary Landreth
Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine, 10900 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Curr Alzheimer Res 4:159-64. 2007..Importantly, recent clinical trials of FDA approved PPARgamma agonists have been shown to improve cognition and memory in AD patients. Thus, PPARgamma agonists represent a new and potentially efficacious treatment of AD...
- The immunology of Alzheimer's disease: prospects towards harnessing disease mechanisms for therapeutic endsGary Landreth
Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Neuroimmune Pharmacol 2:131-3. 2007
- PPARgamma as a therapeutic target in central nervous system diseasesSophia Sundararajan
Department of Neurology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106 4928, United States
Neurochem Int 49:136-44. 2006..The availability of FDA-approved agonists of this receptor will facilitate the rapid translation of these findings into clinical trials for a number of CNS diseases...
- The CD40-autophagy pathway is needed for host protection despite IFN-Γ-dependent immunity and CD40 induces autophagy via control of P21 levelsJose Andres C Portillo
Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e14472. 2010..In addition, they support that autophagy is a mechanism through which CD40-dependent immunity mediates in vivo protection and that the CD40-autophagic machinery is needed for host resistance despite IFN-γ...
- Statins reduce amyloid-beta production through inhibition of protein isoprenylationStephen M Ostrowski
Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 282:26832-44. 2007..These studies provide insight into the mechanisms by which statins may reduce AD pathogenesis...
- Mechanisms of statin-mediated inhibition of small G-protein functionAndrew Cordle
Department of Neuroscience, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 280:34202-9. 2005..These results suggest a mechanism by which statins inhibit the actions of Rho GTPases and attenuate Abeta-stimulated inflammation...
- Nuclear receptors as therapeutic targets for Alzheimer's diseaseShweta Mandrekar-Colucci
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Department of Neurosciences, Alzheimer Research Laboratory, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Expert Opin Ther Targets 15:1085-97. 2011..This accumulation of amyloid is associated with perturbations in synaptic function, impairments in energy metabolism and induction of a chronic inflammatory response which acts to promote neuronal loss and cognitive impairment...
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs repress beta-secretase gene promoter activity by the activation of PPARgammaMagdalena Sastre
Department of Neurology, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53127 Bonn, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:443-8. 2006....
- Anti-inflammatory drug therapy alters beta-amyloid processing and deposition in an animal model of Alzheimer's diseaseQiao Yan
Department of Neuroscience, Amgen Inc, Thousand Oaks, California 91320, USA
J Neurosci 23:7504-9. 2003..These data show that chronic NSAID treatment can reduce brain Abeta levels, amyloid plaque burden, and microglial activation in an animal model of Alzheimer's disease...
- Induction of apoptosis in human and rat glioma by agonists of the nuclear receptor PPARgammaThomas Zander
Department of Neurology, University Bonn, Germany
J Neurochem 81:1052-60. 2002..Taken together, treatment of glioma cells with PPARgamma agonists may hold therapeutic potential for the treatment of gliomas...
- Microglial Signaling Mechanisms in Alzheimer's DiseaseGary E Landreth; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to definitively test whether oxidative damage observed in an animal model of AD is due to NADPH oxidase action by examination of animals in which the oxidase has been genetically inactivated. ..
- LXR and PPARgamma mediated Abeta clearance mechanismsGary E Landreth; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will test if the actions of PPARy on A clearance are secondary to, and reliant upon, LXR function. ..