J P Kirwan
Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Regular exercise enhances insulin activation of IRS-1-associated PI3-kinase in human skeletal muscleJ P Kirwan
Departments of Reproductive Biology and Nutrition, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine at MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44109, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 88:797-803. 2000..60, P < 0.02). We conclude that regular exercise leads to greater insulin-stimulated IRS-1-associated PI3-kinase activation in human skeletal muscle, thus facilitating enhanced insulin-mediated glucose uptake...
- Clinically useful estimates of insulin sensitivity during pregnancy: validation studies in women with normal glucose tolerance and gestational diabetes mellitusJ P Kirwan
Department of Reproductive Biology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine at MetroHealth Medical Center, Bell Greve Building, 2500 MetroHealth Dr, Cleveland, OH 44109 1998, USA
Diabetes Care 24:1602-7. 2001....
- Effects of a moderate glycemic meal on exercise duration and substrate utilizationJ P Kirwan
Noll Physiological Research Center, Penn State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:1517-23. 2001..To determine whether eating a breakfast cereal with a moderate glycemic index could alter substrate utilization and improve exercise duration...
- Human aging is associated with altered TNF-alpha production during hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemiaJ P Kirwan
Department of Reproductive Biology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine at MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44109 1998, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 281:E1137-43. 2001....
- Effects of moderate and high glycemic index meals on metabolism and exercise performanceJ P Kirwan
Noll Physiological Research Center, Penn State University, University Park, PA, USA
Metabolism 50:849-55. 2001..We conclude that a MOD-GI meal provides a significant performance and metabolic advantage when consumed 45 minutes before exercise...
- Age attenuates leucine oxidation after eccentric exerciseE L Kullman
Cleveland Clinic, Pathobiology, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Int J Sports Med 34:695-9. 2013..The decreased efficiency of protein utilization in older men may contribute to impaired maintenance, growth, and repair of body tissues with advancing age. ..
- Ghrelin suppression is associated with weight loss and insulin action following gastric bypass surgery at 12 months in obese adults with type 2 diabetesA Samat
Department of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 15:963-6. 2013..78, p = 0.01) and peak postprandial GLP-1 (r = -0.73, p = 0.03). These data suggest that postprandial ghrelin suppression may be part of the mechanism that contributes to diabetes remission after RYGB surgery. ..
- Overweight, obesity and intentional weight loss in chronic kidney disease: NHANES 1999-2006S D Navaneethan
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 36:1585-90. 2012..We aimed to examine: (a) lifestyle and behavioral factors, (b) factors related to pursuing weight loss and (c) weight loss modalities pursued by CKD and non-CKD individuals who are overweight and obese...
- Fasting hyperglycaemia blunts the reversal of impaired glucose tolerance after exercise training in obese older adultsS K Malin
Department of Pathobiology, Lerner Research Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Diabetes Obes Metab 14:835-41. 2012..However, no study has determined the efficacy of exercise training on glucose metabolism in the different prediabetes subtypes...
- Acute effects of gastric bypass versus gastric restrictive surgery on beta-cell function and insulinotropic hormones in severely obese patients with type 2 diabetesS R Kashyap
Endocrinology and Metabolism Institute, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 34:462-71. 2010..Hyperglycemia resolves quickly after bariatric surgery, but the underlying mechanism and the most effective type of surgery remains unclear...
- Maternal factors that determine neonatal size and body fatP M Catalano
Department of Reproductive Biology, MetroHealth Medical Center, 2500 MetroHealth Drive, Cleveland, OH 44109, USA
Curr Diab Rep 1:71-7. 2001..Additional studies of maternal glucose and lipid metabolism are needed to better evaluate fetal growth...
- Improved acylated ghrelin suppression at 2 years in obese patients with type 2 diabetes: effects of bariatric surgery vs standard medical therapyS K Malin
1 Department of Pathobiology, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA 2 Department of Nutrition, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 38:364-70. 2014..However, the contribution of acylated ghrelin (AG), a gluco-regulatory/appetite hormone, to improve glucose metabolism and body composition in patients with type 2 diabetes (T2D) following RYGB is unknown...
- Insulin signalling, exercise and cellular integrityJ P Kirwan
Department of Reproductive Biology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, OH 44109 1998, U S A
Biochem Soc Trans 31:1281-5. 2003..Understanding these adaptations is essential in order to establish a sound theoretical basis for recommending exercise as a therapeutic intervention for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes...
- In vitro evidence that hyperglycemia stimulates tumor necrosis factor-alpha release in obese women with polycystic ovary syndromeF Gonzalez
Department of Reproductive Biology, Schwartz Center for Metabolism and Nutrition, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44109, USA
J Endocrinol 188:521-9. 2006..MNC-derived TNFalpha release may contribute to insulin resistance and hyperandrogenism, particularly when the combination of PCOS and increased adiposity is present...