Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Determinants of successful glycemic control among participants in the BARI 2D trial: a post-hoc analysisFaramarz Ismail-Beigi
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University and Cleveland VA Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, USA Electronic address
J Diabetes Complications 28:101-9. 2014..In this analysis we examine baseline characteristics that are associated with successful long-term glycemic control...
- Combined intensive blood pressure and glycemic control does not produce an additive benefit on microvascular outcomes in type 2 diabetic patientsFaramarz Ismail-Beigi
Case Western Reserve University, and Cleveland VA Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4951, USA
Kidney Int 81:586-94. 2012..None of the outcomes were significantly reduced by simultaneous intensive treatment of glycemia and blood pressure, signifying the lack of an additional beneficial effect from combined treatment...
- Metabolic programming: fetal origins of obesity and metabolic syndrome in the adultFaramarz Ismail-Beigi
Dept of Medicine, Cleveland Diabetes Center, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291:E439-40. 2006..Importantly, these attributes can be passed on to the next generation nongenetically and can be reversed and prevented...
- Individualizing glycemic targets in type 2 diabetes mellitus: implications of recent clinical trialsFaramarz Ismail-Beigi
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Ann Intern Med 154:554-9. 2011..This review explores these issues further and proposes a framework for considering an appropriate and safe HbA(1c) target range for each patient...
- Pathogenesis and glycemic management of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a physiological approachFaramarz Ismail-Beigi
Departments of Medicine and Biochemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106 4951, USA
Arch Iran Med 15:239-46. 2012....
- Supramolecular protein engineering: design of zinc-stapled insulin hexamers as a long acting depotNelson B Phillips
Department of Biochemistry, Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 285:11755-9. 2010..Zinc stapling provides a general strategy to modify the pharmacokinetic and biological properties of a subcutaneous protein depot...
- Hyperglycemia-induced stimulation of glucose transport in skeletal muscle measured by PET-[18F]6FDG and [18F]2FDGHsuan Ming Huang
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Physiol Meas 33:1661-73. 2012..Moreover, based on differences in the TAC shapes, [18F]6FDG appears to be superior to [18F]2FDG for evaluating the effect of hyperglycemia on glucose metabolism in skeletal muscle...
- Effect of intensive treatment of hyperglycaemia on microvascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes: an analysis of the ACCORD randomised trialFaramarz Ismail-Beigi
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical and Molecular Endocrinology, Case Western Reserve University, 10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106 4951, USA
Lancet 376:419-30. 2010..We investigated whether reduction of blood glucose concentration decreases the rate of microvascular complications in people with type 2 diabetes...
- Insulin fibrillation and protein design: topological resistance of single-chain analogs to thermal degradation with application to a pump reservoirNelson B Phillips
Department of Biochemistry, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Diabetes Sci Technol 6:277-88. 2012..Our findings suggest that ultrastable monomeric SCI analogs may be formulated without protective self-assembly and so permit simultaneous optimization of pharmacokinetics and reservoir life...
- An Achilles' heel in an amyloidogenic protein and its repair: insulin fibrillation and therapeutic designYanwu Yang
From the Departments of Biochemistry Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 285:10806-21. 2010..Together, our studies define an "Achilles' heel" in a globular protein whose repair may enhance the stability of pharmaceutical formulations and broaden their therapeutic deployment in the developing world...
- α-Helical element at the hormone-binding surface of the insulin receptor functions as a signaling element to activate its tyrosine kinaseJonathan Whittaker
Department of Biochemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:11166-71. 2012..Taken together, these results suggest that αCT, in addition to its hormone-recognition role, provides a signaling element in the mechanism of receptor activation...
- The renal transcriptome of db/db mice identifies putative urinary biomarker proteins in patients with type 2 diabetes: a pilot studyMichael S Simonson
Case Western Reserve University, 2109 Adelbert Rd, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 302:F820-9. 2012..These results suggest that gene expression profiling in diabetic mouse kidney can complement existing proteomic-based approaches for renal biomarker discovery in humans...
- Comparisons of different insulin infusion protocols: a review of recent literatureArmand Krikorian
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 13:198-204. 2010..To provide an update on the currently available insulin infusion protocols for treatment of hyperglycemia in critically ill patients and to discuss the major differences and similarities among them...
- A new Michaelis-Menten-based kinetic model for transport and phosphorylation of glucose and its analogs in skeletal muscleHsuan Ming Huang
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Med Phys 38:4587-99. 2011..A new model is introduced that individually resolves the delivery, transport, and phosphorylation steps of metabolism of glucose and its analogs in skeletal muscle by interpreting dynamic positron emission tomography (PET) data...
- Hypoglycemia: minimizing its impact in type 2 diabetesEtie Moghissi
Department of Medicine, University of California, Marina del Rey, California 90292, USA
Endocr Pract 19:526-35. 2013..To review and discuss the risks and impact of hypoglycemia and provide guidance for the prevention of hypoglycemia in type 2 diabetes (T2DM)...
- Effect of dexamethasone on insulin secretion: examination of underlying mechanismsAjay Sood
Division of Clinical and Molecular Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Endocr Pract 16:763-9. 2010..To study the mechanism of increased insulin secretion in response to short-term administration of dexamethasone...
- A controlled trial of CPAP therapy on metabolic control in individuals with impaired glucose tolerance and sleep apneaTanya G Weinstock
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Sleep 35:617-625B. 2012..To address whether treatment of sleep apnea improves glucose tolerance...
- Use of insulin sensitizers for the treatment of major depressive disorder: a pilot study of pioglitazone for major depression accompanied by abdominal obesityDavid E Kemp
Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Affect Disord 136:1164-73. 2012..This study was conducted to examine the safety and efficacy of pioglitazone, a thiazolidinedione insulin sensitizer, in adult outpatients with major depressive disorder...
- Preservation of beta-cell function in type 2 diabetesKavita Nyalakonda
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Endocr Pract 16:1038-55. 2010..To review available data on preservation and potential improvement of beta-cell function in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) with use of currently available strategies and agents...
- Effect of dexamethasone on oral glucose tolerance in healthy adultsDima Abdelmannan
Department of Clinical and Molecular Endocrinology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland VA Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4951, USA
Endocr Pract 16:770-7. 2010..To determine the dose-response and time course of action of a single dose of dexamethasone on plasma glucose and insulin dynamics in healthy adults...
- Effect of thiazolidinediones and insulin on cognitive outcomes in ACCORD-MINDElizabeth R Seaquist
Department of Medicine, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA Electronic address
J Diabetes Complications 27:485-91. 2013..To examine the relationship of cognitive performance to exposure to insulin (INS) and thiazolidinediones (TZD) in the ACCORD-MIND cohort...
- Near-Normalization of Glucose and Microvascular Diabetes Complications: Data from ACCORD and ADVANCEPATRICK J O'CONNOR
Case Western Reserve School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, USA
Ther Adv Endocrinol Metab 2:17-26. 2011..To compare results of clinical trials that assessed the impact of near-normalization of glucose on microvascular complications in type 2 diabetes...
- Glycemia management and cardiovascular risk in type 2 diabetes: an evolving perspectiveFaramarz Ismail-Beigi
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4951, USA
Endocr Pract 14:639-43. 2008....
- Design of an insulin analog with enhanced receptor binding selectivity: rationale, structure, and therapeutic implicationsMing Zhao
Department of Biochemistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 284:32178-87. 2009..Future development of clinical analogs lacking significant IGFR cross-binding may enhance the safety of insulin replacement therapy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus at increased risk of colorectal cancer...
- Analysis of metabolism of 6FDG: a PET glucose transport tracerRaymond F Muzic
Department of Radiology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Nucl Med Biol 38:667-74. 2011..Herein the focus is to determine whether, and the degree to which, [(18)F]6FDG remains unchanged following intravenous injection...