Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Gross E, Abuladze N, Pushkin A, Kurtz I, Cotton C. The stoichiometry of the electrogenic sodium bicarbonate cotransporter pNBC1 in mouse pancreatic duct cells is 2 HCO(3)(-):1 Na(+). J Physiol. 2001;531:375-82 pubmed..The cotransporter operates with a 2 HCO3-:1 Na+ stoichiometry in these cells, and mediates the transport of bicarbonate into the cell across the basolateral membrane. ..
- Gross E, Hawkins K, Abuladze N, Pushkin A, Cotton C, Hopfer U, et al. The stoichiometry of the electrogenic sodium bicarbonate cotransporter NBC1 is cell-type dependent. J Physiol. 2001;531:597-603 pubmed..Moreover, the results suggest that as yet unidentified cellular factor(s) may modify the stoichiometry of these cotransporters. ..
- Gross E, Hawkins K, Pushkin A, Sassani P, Dukkipati R, Abuladze N, et al. Phosphorylation of Ser(982) in the sodium bicarbonate cotransporter kNBC1 shifts the HCO(3)(-) : Na(+) stoichiometry from 3 : 1 to 2 : 1 in murine proximal tubule cells. J Physiol. 2001;537:659-65 pubmed..Ser(982) in the C-terminus of kNBC1 is a target for PKA phosphorylation. This is the first example of modulation of the stoichiometry of a membrane transporter by phosphorylation. ..
- Gross E, Pushkin A, Abuladze N, Fedotoff O, Kurtz I. Regulation of the sodium bicarbonate cotransporter kNBC1 function: role of Asp(986), Asp(988) and kNBC1-carbonic anhydrase II binding. J Physiol. 2002;544:679-85 pubmed..Although CAII does not affect the transport stoichiometry, it may play an important role in enhancing the flux through the transporter when kNBC1-Ser(982) is unphosphorylated. ..
- Gross E, Fedotoff O, Pushkin A, Abuladze N, Newman D, Kurtz I. Phosphorylation-induced modulation of pNBC1 function: distinct roles for the amino- and carboxy-termini. J Physiol. 2003;549:673-82 pubmed..The results demonstrate that phosphorylation of Ser1026 mediates the cAMP-dependent shift in the stoichiometry of pNBC1, whereas Thr49 plays an essential role in the cAMP-induced increase in GDS. ..