M A Ghannoum
Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- Long L, Hager C, Ghannoum M. Evaluation of the Efficacy of ME1111 in the Topical Treatment of Dermatophytosis in a Guinea Pig Model. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016;60:2343-5 pubmed publisher..9% and 25.0%, respectively, with aPvalue of <0.001). The potent efficacy of ME1111 could be attributed to its properties, such as low keratin binding. ..
- Mofidfar M, Wang J, Long L, Hager C, Vareechon C, Pearlman E, et al. Polymeric Nanofiber/Antifungal Formulations Using a Novel Co-extrusion Approach. AAPS PharmSciTech. 2017;18:1917-1924 pubmed publisher..electrospun samples. This, coupled with the much higher throughput of the co-extrusion process vs. electrospinning, renders this new approach very attractive for the fabrication of drug-releasing polymer fibers. ..
- Ghannoum M, Chaturvedi V, Diekema D, Ostrosky Zeichner L, Rennie R, Walsh T, et al. Multilaboratory Evaluation of In Vitro Antifungal Susceptibility Testing of Dermatophytes for ME1111. J Clin Microbiol. 2016;54:662-5 pubmed publisher..The MIC endpoint should be 80% inhibition compared with the growth control. T. rubrum ATCC MYA-4438 and T. mentagrophytes ATCC 28185 were selected as QC isolates, with an acceptable range of 0.12 to 1 Î¼g/ml for the two strains. ..
- Muakkassa F, Ghannoum M. Updates on Therapeutic Strategies Against Candida (and Aspergillus) Biofilm Related Infections. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2016;931:95-103 pubmed publisher..In this chapter we describe the emerging therapies for biofilm related infections. ..
- Larkin E, Hager C, Chandra J, Mukherjee P, Retuerto M, Salem I, et al. The Emerging Pathogen Candida auris: Growth Phenotype, Virulence Factors, Activity of Antifungals, and Effect of SCY-078, a Novel Glucan Synthesis Inhibitor, on Growth Morphology and Biofilm Formation. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017;61: pubmed publisher..SCY-078, the new orally bioavailable antifungal, had potent antifungal/antibiofilm activity against C. auris, indicating that further evaluation of this antifungal is warranted. ..
- Hager C, Larkin E, Long L, Zohra Abidi F, Shaw K, Ghannoum M. In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation of the Antifungal Activity of APX001A/APX001 against Candida auris. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018;62: pubmed publisher..Anidulafungin also showed a significant log reduction in CFU in the kidneys and lungs (1.5 and 1.62, respectively) but did not impact brain CFU. These data support further clinical evaluation of this new antifungal agent. ..
- Ghannoum M, Long L, Larkin E, Isham N, Sherif R, Borroto Esoda K, et al. Evaluation of the Antifungal Activity of the Novel Oral Glucan Synthase Inhibitor SCY-078, Singly and in Combination, for the Treatment of Invasive Aspergillosis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018;62: pubmed publisher..SCY-078 may be an important additional antifungal for first-line or salvage monotherapy or combination treatment of invasive aspergillosis. ..
- Ghannoum M, Isham N, Herbert J, Henry W, Yurdakul S. Activity of TDT 067 (terbinafine in Transfersome) against agents of onychomycosis, as determined by minimum inhibitory and fungicidal concentrations. J Clin Microbiol. 2011;49:1716-20 pubmed publisher..The Transfersome vehicle appears to potentiate the antifungal activity of terbinafine. Clinical investigation of TDT 067 for the topical treatment of onychomycosis is warranted...
- Christensen L, Turner R, Weaver S, Caserta F, Long L, Ghannoum M, et al. Evaluation of the Ability of a Novel Miconazole Formulation To Penetrate Nail by Using Three In Vitro Nail Models. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017;61: pubmed publisher..These assays included the bovine hoof, TurChub zone of inhibition, and infected-nail models. ..
- Chandra J, Ghannoum M. CD101, a Novel Echinocandin Possesses Potent Anti-biofilm Activity Against Early and Mature Candida albicans Biofilms. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017;: pubmed publisher..CD101-treated hyphae failed to grow into mature biofilms. These results suggest that CD101 may be effective in prevention and treatment of biofilm-associated nosocomial infections...
- Ghannoum M, Wraith L, Cai B, Nyirady J, Isham N. Susceptibility of dermatophyte isolates obtained from a large worldwide terbinafine tinea capitis clinical trial. Br J Dermatol. 2008;159:711-3 pubmed publisher..Our group, in collaboration with seven other laboratories, has recently developed a method to determine the susceptibility of dermatophytes...