Joshua J Augustine
Affiliation: Case Western Reserve University
- A randomized controlled trial comparing intermittent with continuous dialysis in patients with ARFJoshua J Augustine
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Case Western University Hospitals, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 44:1000-7. 2004..We sought to analyze differences in survival between modalities in a study that compared continuous venovenous hemodialysis (CVVHD) with IHD...
- Comparative effects of sirolimus and mycophenolate mofetil on erythropoiesis in kidney transplant patientsJoshua J Augustine
Department of Nephrology, Case Western University Hospitals, Cleveland, OH, USA
Am J Transplant 4:2001-6. 2004..028). Our results indicate that, compared to treatment with MMF, treatment of kidney or kidney-pancreas recipients with sirolimus is associated with a higher prevalence of anemia, lower hemoglobin levels and lower incidence of PTE...
- Pre-transplant IFN-gamma ELISPOTs are associated with post-transplant renal function in African American renal transplant recipientsJoshua J Augustine
Division of Nephrology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Am J Transplant 5:1971-5. 2005....
- Improved renal function after conversion from tacrolimus/sirolimus to tacrolimus/mycophenolate mofetil in kidney transplant recipientsJoshua J Augustine
Division of Nephrology, University Hospitals of Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Transplantation 81:1004-9. 2006..There is limited data on the potential nephrotoxicity of sirolimus (SRL) and tacrolimus (TAC) in combination...
- Long-term graft outcomes after steroid withdrawal in African American kidney transplant recipients receiving sirolimus and tacrolimusDonald E Hricik
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
Transplantation 83:277-81. 2007..We now report the long-term outcomes of patients subjected to this protocol...
- Hemodialysis vintage, black ethnicity, and pretransplantation antidonor cellular immunity in kidney transplant recipientsJoshua J Augustine
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Case Medical Center, 11100 Euclid Avenue, 1817 Mather, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 18:1602-6. 2007..Longer HD vintage may also explain the increased T cell alloreactivity that previously was observed in black kidney recipients...
- Independent of nephrectomy, weaning immunosuppression leads to late sensitization after kidney transplant failureJoshua J Augustine
Department of Medicine, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Transplantation 94:738-43. 2012..We hypothesized that nephrectomy for cause is a consequence of weaning immunosuppression and that weaning leads to sensitization even in the absence of nephrectomy...
- Preferential benefit of antibody induction therapy in kidney recipients with high pretransplant frequencies of donor-reactive interferon-gamma enzyme-linked immunosorbent spotsJoshua J Augustine
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, USA
Transplantation 86:529-34. 2008....
- Reduction in erythropoietin resistance after conversion from sirolimus to enteric coated mycophenolate sodiumJoshua J Augustine
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Medicine, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, OH, USA
Transplantation 86:548-53. 2008..After observing the need for high dose exogenous erythropoietin dosage in some patients on SRL, we hypothesized that SRL therapy may influence anemia by inducing a state of erythropoietin resistance...
- Pretransplant cellular alloimmunity as assessed by a panel of reactive T cells assay correlates with acute renal graft rejectionEmilio D Poggio
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Transplant Center, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Transplantation 83:847-52. 2007....
- Steroid sparing in kidney transplantation: changing paradigms, improving outcomes, and remaining questionsJoshua J Augustine
Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 1:1080-9. 2006..Although the outcomes of kidney transplant recipients who are treated with steroid-free immunosuppression are improving steadily, there still is room for concern in recommending this strategy as a standard of practice...
- Effects of influenza immunization on humoral and cellular alloreactivity in humansLara Danziger-Isakov
Department of Pediatrics, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH, USA
Transplantation 89:838-44. 2010..To test whether vaccination impacts human alloimmunity, we analyzed humoral and cellular immune reactivity in subjects undergoing influenza vaccination...
- Use of sirolimus in solid organ transplantationJoshua J Augustine
The Department of Medicine and the Transplantation Service, Case Western Reserve University, and University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Drugs 67:369-91. 2007..As is true for all immunosuppressive drugs available for treatment of solid organ transplant recipients, the efficacy of the drug must be balanced against its considerable adverse effects...
- Differences in proteinuria and graft function in de novo sirolimus-based vs. calcineurin inhibitor-based immunosuppression in live donor kidney transplantationBrian R Stephany
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, OH 44195, USA
Transplantation 82:368-74. 2006..Nevertheless, the long-term implications of these findings need to be determined...
- Induction antibody therapy in kidney transplantationAparna Padiyar
Department of Medicine, University Hospitals Case Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 54:935-44. 2009..Some, but not all, antibodies are associated with increased risk of posttransplantation lymphoproliferative disease and other malignancies...
- Minimization of immunosuppression in kidney transplantationJoshua J Augustine
Department of Medicine, University Hospitals Case Medical Center and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 16:535-41. 2007..This article focuses on outcomes of these strategies described in recently published trials...
- T-cell immune monitoring by the ELISPOT assay for interferon gammaJoshua J Augustine
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio 44116, USA
Clin Chim Acta 413:1359-63. 2012..Additional work is needed to validate the assay in larger multicenter clinical trials...
- Anemia after kidney transplantation: time for actionJoshua J Augustine
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:2962-3. 2006