Michele J Upvall
Affiliation: Carlow University
- Developing nursing leaders through graduate education in PakistanMichele J Upvall
Int J Nurs Educ Scholarsh 1:Article27. 2004..Other countries developing graduate nursing programs may benefit from the expereince in Pakistan...
- Developing cultural competence in nursing students through their experiences with a refugee populationMichele J Upvall
Carlow University, School of Nursing, 3333 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Nurs Educ 46:380-3. 2007..The level of skills needed for the care of vulnerable populations should be considered when assigning undergraduate students to the clinical setting...
- The journey to the DNP program and beyond: what can we learn from pharmacy?Michele J Upvall
School of Nursing, Carlow University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
J Prof Nurs 23:316-21. 2007..Similarities and differences between the professions are examined, and lessons that nursing can learn from pharmacy are discussed...
- Perspectives of Somali Bantu refugee women living with circumcision in the United States: a focus group approachMichele J Upvall
Eta Epsilon Chapter, Carlow University, School of Nursing, 3333 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Int J Nurs Stud 46:360-8. 2009..These women and their families were already uprooted from Somalia to Kenya for over 10 years, increasing their vulnerability and marginal status beyond that of women who have been circumcised...
- Behind the mud walls: the role and practice of lady health visitors in PakistanMichele J Upvall
School of Nursing, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Health Care Women Int 23:432-41. 2002..Confidence that they were making an impact within the communities was apparent. However, frustration at the lack of career mobility was evident along with the desire for strengthening their basic 2-year LHV education...
- Defining the cultural milieu for implementing faculty practice in PakistanMichele J Upvall
BScN Programme, School of Nursing, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Int J Nurs Pract 8:315-23. 2002..Hierarchy dominates the current cultural milieu and must be addressed before faculty practice can be implemented...
- Participatory action research to understand and reduce health disparitiesEllen Olshansky
Department of Health and Community Systems, University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, PA 15261, USA
Nurs Outlook 53:121-6. 2005..All of the authors of this article are part of a task force of this working group that is focusing specifically on community outreach with the goal of reducing health disparities within specific communities...