- On measuring the hospital cost/quality trade-offK Carey
US Department of Veterans Affairs Management Science Group, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Health Econ 8:509-20. 1999..The results of this paper underscore a number of practical difficulties and challenges facing government or other systems in evaluating the relative performance of their hospitals...
- A multilevel modelling approach to analysis of patient costs under managed careK Carey
Management Science Group, US Department of Veterans Affairs, Bedford, MA, USA
Health Econ 9:435-46. 2000..Facilities more heavily penetrated by the managed care model may be more effective at controlling costs of their sicker patients...
- Trends in contract management: the hidden evolution in hospital organizationKathleen Carey
Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 23:192-9. 2004..Since contract-managed hospitals tend to be located in rural areas, this raises concerns regarding access to care. On the other hand, contract management may allow distressed hospitals to survive...
- Contract management in USA hospitals: service duplication and access within local marketsKathleen Carey
VA Center for Health Quality, Outcomes and Economic Research, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Health Serv Manage Res 21:161-7. 2008..Contract management does not appear to offer any particular advantages in improving access to hospital services...
- Hospital cost efficiency and system membershipKathleen Carey
Management Science Group, U S Department of Veterans Affairs, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Inquiry 40:25-38. 2003..Policymakers should be mindful of potential efficiency gains from hospital consolidations and be aware that common ownership alone may be too general a rubric for evaluating those gains usefully...
- The effect of network arrangements on hospital pricing behaviorJames F Burgess
Department of Health Services, Boston University School of Public Health, 715 Albany Street, Talbot 3 West, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Health Econ 24:391-405. 2005..However, this result appears to be generated primarily by system-owned hospitals that form networks to provide particular services jointly...
- Use of VA and Medicare services by dually eligible veterans with psychiatric problemsKathleen Carey
VA Center for Health Quality, Outcomes and Economic Research and, Boston University School of Public Health, 200 Springs Road, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Health Serv Res 43:1164-83. 2008....
- Specialty and full-service hospitals: a comparative cost analysisKathleen Carey
VA Center for Health Quality, Outcomes and Economic Research and Boston University School of Public Health, 200 Springs Road, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Health Serv Res 43:1869-87. 2008..To compare the costs of physician-owned cardiac, orthopedic, and surgical single specialty hospitals with those of full-service hospital competitors...