Affiliation: California Environmental Protection Agency
- High body burdens of 2,2',4,4'-tetrabromodiphenyl ether (BDE-47) in California womenMyrto Petreas
Hazardous Materials Laboratory, Department of Toxic Substances Control, California Environmental Protection Agency, Berkeley 94704, USA
Environ Health Perspect 111:1175-9. 2003..Rising body burdens of endocrine-disrupting chemicals such as PBDEs may pose a potential public health threat...
- Distribution of persistent, lipid-soluble chemicals in breast and abdominal adipose tissues: lessons learned from a breast cancer studyMyrto Petreas
Hazardous Materials Laboratory, California Department of Toxic Substances Control, Berkeley, CA, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 13:416-24. 2004....
- High concentrations of polybrominated diphenylethers (PBDEs) in breast adipose tissue of California womenMyrto Petreas
Environmental Chemistry Laboratory, California Department of Toxic Substances Control, Berkeley, CA 94710, USA
Environ Int 37:190-7. 2011..These data may be helpful in establishing a baseline for PBDE body burdens to gauge changes over time as a result of restrictions in the use of PBDE formulations...
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers in California wastestreamsMyrto Petreas
Environmental Chemistry Laboratory, California Department of Toxic Substances Control, 700 Heinz Street, Berkeley, CA 94710, United States
Chemosphere 74:996-1001. 2009..Information on the presence and fate of PBDEs in all wastestreams needs to be included in decision making practices for waste management to avoid public health and ecologic catastrophes...
- PBDEs in the San Francisco Bay Area: measurements in harbor seal blubber and human breast adipose tissueJianwen She
Hazardous Materials Laboratory, California Department of Toxic Substances Control, Berkeley 94704, USA
Chemosphere 46:697-707. 2002..The concentrations of PBDEs in harbor seals in the San Francisco Bay have increased dramatically over the past decade, with current levels among the highest reported for this species...
- Adipose levels of polybrominated diphenyl ethers and risk of breast cancerSusan Hurley
Cancer Prevention Institute of California, 2001 Center Street, Berkeley, CA, 94704, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 129:505-11. 2011..Given the high levels of PBDEs found in this population of California women, future studies are warranted. Such studies would benefit from a larger sample size, a more representative control series, and/or a prospective design...
- Levels of PBDEs, PCDDs, PCDFs, and coplanar PCBs in edible fish from California coastal watersF Reber Brown
California Department of Toxic Substances Control, Hazardous Materials Laboratory, 700 Heinz Avenue 100, Berkeley, CA, Canada 94710, USA
Chemosphere 64:276-86. 2006..The highest concentrations of both PCDD/PCDF/coPCBs and PBDEs were found in the highly populated areas of San Francisco Bay, the Los Angeles area, and San Diego Bay...
- Assaying organochlorines in archived serum for a large, long-term cohort: implications of combining assay results from multiple laboratories over timeRobert I Sholtz
Child Health and Development Studies, Public Health Institute, Berkeley, CA 94709, USA
Environ Int 37:709-14. 2011..For PCB congeners with very low levels, findings caution against pooling of assays without further exploration...
- Legacy and contemporary persistent organic pollutants in North Pacific albatrossSuhash Harwani
Department of Toxic Substances Control, California Environmental Protection Agency, Berkeley, California, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 30:2562-9. 2011..74 ng/ml wet weight in these albatross...
- High polybrominated diphenyl ether levels in California house cats: house dust a primary source?Weihong Guo
Environmental Chemistry Laboratory, California Department of Toxic Substances Control, California Environmental Protection Agency, Berkeley, California, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 31:301-6. 2012..The authors found no evidence that linked levels of PBDEs, PCBs, or OCPs with hyperthyroidism. This may be because of the small sample size, competing or confounding risk factors, or complicated causal mechanisms...
- Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and their hydroxylated metabolites (OH-PCBs) in livers of harbor seals (Phoca vitulina) from San Francisco Bay, California and Gulf of MaineJune Soo Park
Department of Toxic Substances Control, California Environmental Protection Agency, 700 Heinz Ave, Suite 100, Berkeley, CA 94710, USA
Mar Environ Res 67:129-35. 2009..Generally, 4-OH-CB107 was found predominantly in seal livers and was the only OH-PCB detectable in most of seal pup livers. This study provides information on OH-PCBs in seals, adding to the scarce exposure data for these chemicals...
- Adipose levels of dioxins and risk of breast cancerPeggy Reynolds
California Department of Health Services, Environmental Health Investigations Branch, 1515 Clay Street, Suite 1700, Oakland, CA 94612, USA
Cancer Causes Control 16:525-35. 2005..Our objective was to evaluate the breast cancer risk associated with body burden levels of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins (PCDDs) and polychlorinated dibenzofurans (PCDFs)...
- Exposure to organochlorine compounds and effects on ovarian functionGayle C Windham
Environmental Health Investigations Branch, Department of Health Services, Oakland, California 94612, USA
Epidemiology 16:182-90. 2005..Some chemicals appear to have hormonally active properties in animals, but data in humans are sparse. Therefore, we examined ovarian function in relation to organochlorine compound levels...
- Temporal changes in the levels of perfluorinated compounds in California women's serum over the past 50 yearsMiaomiao Wang
Department of Toxic Substances Control, California Environmental Protection Agency, Berkeley, California 94710, United States
Environ Sci Technol 45:7510-6. 2011..08 ng/mL). For longer chain perfluorocarboxylic acids (PFCAs), there was a continuous build-up in serum from the 1960s to 2009. To our knowledge, this is the first study to investigate temporal changes of PFCs over the past 50 years...
- Serum DDT and DDE levels in pregnant women of Chiapas, MexicoRuth Koepke
School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720-7360, USA
Arch Environ Health 59:559-65. 2004..This study provides evidence of high-level exposure to DDT and DDE among pregnant women living in Chiapas, Mexico, despite countrywide restrictions on its use at the time...
- Association of DDT and DDE with birth weight and length of gestation in the Child Health and Development Studies, 1959-1967Lili Farhang
San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, CA 94102, USA
Am J Epidemiol 162:717-25. 2005..27) for DDT; none of the study results achieved statistical significance. Given the persistence of DDT in the environment and its continuing role in malaria control, studies using more robust data should continue to assess this relation...
- Organochlorine pesticides and male genital anomalies in the child health and development studiesRajiv Bhatia
San Francisco Department of Public Health, San Francisco, California 94102, USA
Environ Health Perspect 113:220-4. 2005..0 ng/mL had adjusted odds ratios of 1.01 (95% CI, 0.44-2.28) for cryptorchidism and 0.79 (95% CI, 0.33-1.89) for hypospadias. This study does not support an association of DDT or DDE and hypospadias or cryptorchidism...
- Evaluation of four capillary columns for the analysis of organochlorine pesticides, polychlorinated biphenyls, and polybrominated diphenyl ethers in human serum for epidemiologic studiesEvan Rogers
Department of Environmental Toxicology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 813:269-85. 2004..In addition, the method enables determination of OCPs, PCBs, and PBDEs prevalent in a single extract of serum, which can lead to considerable time savings in the analysis of large number of samples collected for epidemiologic studies...