Affiliation: California Environmental Protection Agency
- Isolation and characterization of novel Helicobacter spp. from the gastric mucosa of harp seals Phoca groenlandicaClaudia G Harper
Division of Comparative Medicine, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Building 16, Room 825C, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 57:1-9. 2003..may play a role in the etiopathogenesis of gastrointestinal diseases in pinnipeds. To our knowledge, this represents the first isolation and characterization of a novel Helicobacter spp. from pinnipeds...
- Treatment of cyanobacterial (microcystin) toxicosis using oral cholestyramine: case report of a dog from montanaKelly A Rankin
Flathead Animal Clinic, 344 1st Ave W, Kalispell, MT 59901, USA
Toxins (Basel) 5:1051-63. 2013..The clinical success of this case suggests that oral administration of cholestyramine, in combination with supportive therapy, could significantly reduce hospitalization time, cost-of-care and mortality for microcystin-poisoned animals...
- Ultrastructural and molecular confirmation of the development of Sarcocystis neurona tissue cysts in the central nervous system of southern sea otters (Enhydra lutris nereis)M A Miller
Marine Wildlife Veterinary Care and Research Center, California Department of Fish and Game, 1451 Shaffer Road, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA
Int J Parasitol 39:1363-72. 2009..We believe this is the first ultrastructural and molecular confirmation of the development of S. neurona tissue cysts in the CNS of any animal...
- An unusual genotype of Toxoplasma gondii is common in California sea otters (Enhydra lutris nereis) and is a cause of mortalityM A Miller
California Department of Fish and Game, Marine Wildlife Veterinary Care and Research Center, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA
Int J Parasitol 34:275-84. 2004..gondii. Nine of the 12 otters that had T. gondii-associated meningoencephalitis as a primary cause of death were infected with type x parasites...
- Transplacental toxoplasmosis in a wild southern sea otter (Enhydra lutris nereis)Melissa Miller
California Department of Fish and Game Office of Spill Prevention and Response, Marine Wildlife Veterinary Care and Research Center, 1451 Shaffer Road, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, United States
Vet Parasitol 153:12-8. 2008..Restriction enzyme digestion followed by gel electrophoresis and DNA sequencing confirmed the presence of Type X T. gondii, the strain identified in the majority of southern sea otter infections...
- Type X Toxoplasma gondii in a wild mussel and terrestrial carnivores from coastal California: new linkages between terrestrial mammals, runoff and toxoplasmosis of sea ottersM A Miller
California Department of Fish and Game, Marine Wildlife Veterinary Care and Research Center, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, United States
Int J Parasitol 38:1319-28. 2008..gondii via consumption of filter-feeding marine invertebrates...
- Enteric bacterial pathogen detection in southern sea otters (Enhydra lutris nereis) is associated with coastal urbanization and freshwater runoffMelissa A Miller
California Department of Fish and Game, Marine Wildlife Veterinary Care and Research Center, 1451 Shaffer Road, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA
Vet Res 41:1. 2010..Because otters and humans share many of the same foods, our findings may also have implications for human health...
- A protozoal-associated epizootic impacting marine wildlife: mass-mortality of southern sea otters (Enhydra lutris nereis) due to Sarcocystis neurona infectionMelissa A Miller
Marine Wildlife Veterinary Care and Research Center, Santa Cruz, CA 95060, USA
Vet Parasitol 172:183-94. 2010..This is the first report of a localized epizootic in marine wildlife caused by apicomplexan protozoa...
- Babesia conradae, sp. Nov., a small canine Babesia identified in CaliforniaAnne M Kjemtrup
California Department of Health Services, Vector Borne Disease Section, 1616 Capital Avenue, MS 7307, Sacramento, CA 95899 7413, USA
Vet Parasitol 138:103-11. 2006..gibsoni. Molecular and morphologic evidence supports naming the small piroplasm from southern California as a distinct species, Babesia conradae...
- PREVALENCE, PATHOLOGY, AND RISK FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH STREPTOCOCCUS PHOCAE INFECTION IN SOUTHERN SEA OTTERS (ENHYDRA LUTRIS NEREIS), 2004-10Georgina Bartlett
1 Marine Wildlife Veterinary Care and Research Center, California Department of Fish and Wildlife, 1451 Shaffer Road, Santa Cruz, California 95060, USA
J Wildl Dis 52:1-9. 2016..Even tiny skin breaks appear to facilitate bacterial colonization, invasion, abscess formation, and systemic spread. Our data provide important insights for management and care of marine species. ..
- Clinical pathology and assessment of pathogen exposure in southern and Alaskan sea ottersKrista D Hanni
Wildlife Health Center, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis, California 95616, USA
J Wildl Dis 39:837-50. 2003..Leptospira spp., T. gondii) in the southern sea otter population, and the naïveté of both populations to other pathogens (e.g., morbillivirus and Coccidiodes immitis) may have important implications for their management and recovery...