A M Heru
Affiliation: Butler Hospital
- Burden, reward and family functioning of caregivers for relatives with mood disorders: 1-year follow-upAlison M Heru
Butler Hospital, 345 Blackstone Boulevard Providence, RI 02906, USA
J Affect Disord 83:221-5. 2004..This naturalistic study of caregivers of patients with mood disorders assesses caregiver perceptions of burden, reward and family functioning at hospitalization and at 1 year follow-up...
- Self-disclosure in psychotherapy supervisors: gender differencesAlison M Heru
Brown Medical School and Butler Hospital, 345 Blackstone Boulevard, Providence, Rhode Island 02906, USA
Am J Psychother 60:323-34. 2006..This article will explore the possible reasons for gender differences found in self-disclosure in psychotherapy supervisors...
- Overcoming barriers in working with familiesAlison M Heru
Department of Psychiatry, Butler Hospital, 345 Blackstone Boulevard, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Acad Psychiatry 30:379-84. 2006..These competencies include working with families. This article describes barriers that residents face when working with families, and offers ways to overcome these barriers...
- Family functioning in the caregivers of patients with dementia: one-year follow-upAlison M Heru
Psychiatry and Human Behavior Clinical, Brown University Medical School, Butler Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island 02906, USA
Bull Menninger Clin 70:222-31. 2006..Caregivers who reported poor family functioning at initial assessment had higher ratings of strain and burden...
- Understanding families: from criticalness to resilienceAlison M Heru
Butler Hospital, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Med Health R I 89:178-9. 2006
- Family psychiatry: from research to practiceAlison M Heru
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Butler Hospital, Brown University School of Medicine, 345 Blackstone Blvd, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:962-8. 2006..The purpose of this article is to review current research evidence for clinicians involving families in the assessment and treatment of their patients...
- Prevalence and severity of intimate partner violence and associations with family functioning and alcohol abuse in psychiatric inpatients with suicidal intentAlison M Heru
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior Clinical, Brown Medical School, Butler Hospital, 345 Blackstone Boulevard, Providence, R I 02906, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:23-9. 2006..Many medical settings have conducted screenings for domestic violence, but no study has assessed the prevalence and frequency of intimate partner violence (IPV) within the acute psychiatric inpatient population...
- Psychoeducation for caregivers of patients with chronic mood disordersAlison M Heru
Brown University Medical School, Butler Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island 02906, USA
Bull Menninger Clin 69:331-40. 2005..Similarly, of those with poor family functioning, 44% were offered a referral, 22% accepted, but only 5% followed through. Overall, 82% reported that the psychoeducational packet was useful...
- Quality of life and family functioning in caregivers of relatives with mood disordersAlison M Heru
The Family Program, Butler Hospital, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Psychiatr Rehabil J 28:67-71. 2004..Subjective burden but not objective burden was correlated with a poorer quality of life. Less than 30% of caregivers received help from other relatives and less than 5% sought help from outside organizations like NAMI, MDDA or VNA...
- Using role playing to increase residents' awareness of medical student mistreatmentAlison M Heru
Marriage and Family Therapy Program, and Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island 02906, USA
Acad Med 78:35-8. 2003....
- Family functioning in the caregivers of patients with dementiaAlison M Heru
Butler Hospital, Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, Rhode Island 02906, USA
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 19:533-7. 2004..The marital relationship has been suggested as a mediational model through which variables influence the caregiver and contribute to the experience of burden or reward...
- Boundaries in psychotherapy supervisionAlison M Heru
Brown Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Am J Psychother 58:76-89. 2004..This study examines the perceptions of trainees and supervisors on the boundaries of the supervisory relationship...
- Family skills for general psychiatry residents: meeting ACGME core competency requirementsEllen M Berman
University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Acad Psychiatry 30:69-78. 2006..The authors discuss the knowledge, attitudes, and skills needed for a resident to be competent in supporting and working with families, as mandated by the residency review committee (RRC) core competencies...
- Supervisor-trainee relationship boundaries in medical educationPatricia Ryan Recupero
Butler Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island 02906, USA
Med Teach 27:484-8. 2005..Future research is recommended to clarify the limits of appropriate behaviour between supervisors and trainees in the medical learning environment..
- The linkages between gender and victimhoodA M Heru
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Int J Soc Psychiatry 47:10-20. 2001..Victimhood is generally seen as a negative identification, but this article will argue that identification as a victim is the first step in identifying the need for services...
- Sexual harassment in medical education: liability and protectionPatricia Ryan Recupero
Butler Hospital, 345 Blackstone Boulevard, Providence, RI 02906
Acad Med 79:817-24. 2004..These constructive approaches include applying faculty and student education, establishing a system for notification and response, and creating an institutional structure to provide continuous evaluation of the educational environment...
- Family systems training in psychiatric residenciesEllen Berman
University of Pennsylvania, 321 Mallwyd Road, Merion Station, PA 19066, USA
Fam Process 44:321-35. 2005..The application of these core skills is described using a case example and formulation. Challenges in teaching and ways of overcoming programmatic constraints are outlined...
- Intimate-partner violenceSamara E Rainey
Lancet 368:1765. 2006