Mary Jane Burton
- Community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus as a cause of Fournier's gangreneMary Jane Burton
Medical Service, Section of Infectious Diseases, VA Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216, USA
Am J Med Sci 335:327-8. 2008..We describe a case of a previously healthy adult who developed fulminant sepsis from Fournier's gangrene caused by a strain of CA-MRSA containing the Panton-Valentine leukocidin genes...
- Safety of biologic and nonbiologic disease-modifying antirheumatic drug therapy in veterans with rheumatoid arthritis and hepatitis B virus infection: a retrospective cohort studyMary Jane Burton
G V Sonny Montgomery VA Medical Center, 1500 E Woodrow Wilson Avenue, Jackson, MS, 39216, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 17:136. 2015..We evaluated the safety of current treatment regimens for patients with RA and HBV in a large US cohort...
- Women with chronic hepatitis C virus infection: recommendations for clinical practiceMary Jane Burton
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
South Med J 106:422-6. 2013..Vertical transmission of hepatitis C virus occurs, but data supporting recommendations for prevention of mother-to-infant transmission are limited. ..
- Prevalence and characteristics of herpes simplex virus type-2 coinfection in veterans with hepatitis CMary Jane Burton
Medical Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Am J Med Sci 344:436-40. 2012..Epidemiologic links between herpes simplex virus type-2 (HSV-2) and hepatitis C virus (HCV) exist but are poorly characterized. Seroprevalence studies of HSV-2 in veteran populations with chronic HCV infection are lacking...
- Telaprevir and boceprevir in African Americans with genotype 1 chronic hepatitis C: implications for patients and providersMary Jane Burton
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi 39216, USA
South Med J 105:431-6. 2012..Increased participation of this racial group in HCV clinical trials is needed to improve therapies in this difficult-to-treat population...
- Comparing the aspartate aminotransferase (AST) to platelet ratio index (APRI) between African American and White veterans with chronic hepatitis CMary Jane Burton
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Jackson, MS, USA
South Med J 104:309-14. 2011..Compare the diagnostic accuracy of the APRI score for significant fibrosis and cirrhosis in a sample of African American and white veterans with chronic hepatitis C in the southeastern United States...
- Incarceration as a risk factor for hepatitis C virus (HCV) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) co-infection in MississippiMary Jane Burton
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 21:1194-202. 2010..Injection drug use (IDU) is the most commonly recognized risk factor for co-infection with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV). We examined risks for HIV/HCV co-infection in a population with a low rate of IDU...
- Characteristics of hepatitis C virus coinfection in a human immunodeficiency virus-infected population with lower reported rates of injection drug useMary Jane Burton
Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Am J Med Sci 338:54-6. 2009..Injection drug use (IDU) is considered the major risk factor for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and hepatitis C virus (HCV) coinfection. We examined risk factors for HIV/HCV coinfection in a region with a low reported rate of IDU...
- Adult immunizations: update on recommendationsHuan Pham
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi School of Medicine, Jackson, USA
Am J Med 124:698-701. 2011..Hepatitis B vaccination should be encouraged in non-immune adults. Recommendations also address vaccinations for tetanus/diphtheria, hepatitis A, pneumococcus, measles/mumps/rubella, and meningococcus...
- Misidentification of Candida parapsilosis as C famata in a clinical case of vertebral osteomyelitisMary Jane Burton
From the VA Medical Center mjb, ES, Jackson, Mississippi and Departments of Medicine mjb, es and Microbiology ps, ES, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi
Am J Med Sci 341:71-3. 2011..Species-specific primers were used in the polymerase chain reaction to correctly identify the clinical isolate. When uncommon species of Candida are reported using automated systems, heightened clinical suspicion is warranted...
- Infective endocarditis prevention: update on 2007 guidelinesMary Jane Burton
Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Medical Service, G V Sonny Montgomery VA Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Am J Med 121:484-6. 2008..We discuss how these revisions apply to clinical practice in patients undergoing elective medical and dental procedures...