Affiliation: Brown University
- Mechanisms of disease: Inflammation and the origins of cancerSteven F Moss
Rhode Island Hospital and Department of Medicine, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
Nat Clin Pract Oncol 2:90-7; quiz 1 p following 113. 2005..Thus, therapeutic opportunities exist to target the causative microbe, the consequent inflammatory mediator, or epithelial cell responses. Such measures could be of value to reduce cancer risk in inflammation-associated malignancies...
- Decreased expression of gastrokine 1 and the trefoil factor interacting protein TFIZ1/GKN2 in gastric cancer: influence of tumor histology and relationship to prognosisSteven F Moss
Department of Medicine, Gastroenterology Division, Rhode Island Hospital, 593 Eddy Street, APC 414, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:4161-7. 2008..We have examined GKN1 and GKN2 protein expression in a large gastric cancer series, correlated expression with tumor subtype, and evaluated their utility as prognostic biomarkers...
- Helicobacter and gastric malignanciesSteven F Moss
Rhode Island Hospital and Brown University, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Helicobacter 12:23-30. 2007..Finally, Helicobacter hepaticus infection has been linked to both intestinal and breast tumorigenesis in susceptible strains of female mice - a provocative and novel finding warranting further investigation...
- HelicoVax: epitope-based therapeutic Helicobacter pylori vaccination in a mouse modelSteven F Moss
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Rhode Island Hospital and Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI 02903, USA steven
Vaccine 29:2085-91. 2011..These results suggest that further development of an epitope-based mucosal vaccine may be beneficial in eradicating H. pylori and reducing the burden of the associated gastric diseases in humans...
- Spermine oxidation induced by Helicobacter pylori results in apoptosis and DNA damage: implications for gastric carcinogenesisHangxiu Xu
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Cancer Res 64:8521-5. 2004..These results identify a pathway for oxidative stress-induced epithelial cell apoptosis and DNA damage due to SMO(PAOh1) activation by H. pylori that may contribute to the pathogenesis of the infection and development of gastric cancer...
- Helicobacter pylori virulence factors in gastric carcinogenesisSicheng Wen
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Rhode Island Hospital and Brown University, 593 Eddy Street, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Cancer Lett 282:1-8. 2009..Improved understanding of the pathogenesis of H. pylori-associated gastric cancer may improve risk stratification for prevention and therapy...
- p27kip1 deficiency confers susceptibility to gastric carcinogenesis in Helicobacter pylori-infected miceNoriyoshi Kuzushita
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
Gastroenterology 129:1544-56. 2005..We therefore evaluated p27-deficient mice as a model for H pylori-associated gastric cancer...
- Targeting Helicobacter pylori in gastric carcinogenesisDong Soo Lee
Rhode Island Hospital Brown University, Department Medicine, 593 Eddy St, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Expert Opin Ther Targets 11:757-69. 2007..Targeting H. pylori to prevent gastric cancer may be best achieved through vaccination, better understanding of the molecular pathogenesis of H. pylori-associated carcinogenesis and additional chemopreventive strategies...
- Helicobacter pylori increases proteasome-mediated degradation of p27(kip1) in gastric epithelial cellsHidetoshi Eguchi
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital Brown University, 593 Eddy Street, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Cancer Res 63:4739-46. 2003..Increased degradation of p27 by H. pylori through a proteasome-dependent, ubiquitin-independent pathway may contribute to the increased risk of gastric cancer associated with chronic H. pylori infection...
- Altered expression of Skp2, c-Myc and p27 proteins but not mRNA after H. pylori eradication in chronic gastritisSung S Kim
Department of Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital Brown University, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Mod Pathol 19:49-58. 2006..H. pylori may influence cell cycle progression and carcinogenesis through post-translational effects on specific gene expression...
- Helicobacter pyloriSteven F Moss
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital, 593 Eddy Street, APC 4, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Curr Opin Infect Dis 16:445-51. 2003..H. pylori is therefore of great interest to clinicians and researchers of many, often disparate, disciplines. We highlight recent advances in this fast changing field from many different areas...
- Expression analysis of Barrett's esophagus-associated high-grade dysplasia in laser capture microdissected archival tissueEdmond Sabo
Department of Pathology and Medicine, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:6440-8. 2008..The aim of this study was to determine the differential transcriptome of HGD compared with NDBE through gene microarray analysis of epithelial cells microdissected from archival tissue specimens...
- Claudin expression in gastric adenocarcinomas: a tissue microarray study with prognostic correlationMurray B Resnick
Department of Pathology, Rhode Island Hospital and Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Hum Pathol 36:886-92. 2005..The up-regulation of claudin expression during gastric carcinogenesis suggests their potential utility as diagnostic biomarkers and possible targets for therapeutic intervention...
- GERD 2003 -- a consensus on the way aheadSteven F Moss
Brown University, Providence, R I, USA
Digestion 67:111-7. 2003..Intestinal metaplasia in the lower esophagus is probably very common. Whether and how to, first, screen for, and then, perform surveillance in Barrett's esophagus remains highly problematic and contentious...
- p16Ink4a is overexpressed in H. pylori-associated gastritis and is correlated with increased epithelial apoptosisHaim Shirin
Department of Gastroenterology, The E Wolfson Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, TelAviv University, Israel
Helicobacter 8:66-71. 2003..The aim of the current study was to examine whether H. pylori infection also affects the expression of p16 in the gastric mucosa of H. pylori-infected patients...
- Helicobacter pylori infection and the development of gastric cancerRamy Eid
N Engl J Med 346:65-7. 2002
- p27kip1 expression is inversely related to the grade of gastric MALT lymphomaHaim Shirin
Department of Gastroenterology, The E Wolfson Medical Center, Holon and Tel Aviv University, Israel
Int J Gastrointest Cancer 35:25-32. 2005..Decreased or lost expression of the cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor p27kip1 protein has been found to be a poor prognostic factor in many cancers, including gastric cancer...
- COX-2 inhibition and the prevention of gastric cancerDong Soo Lee
Digestion 74:184-6. 2006
- Whistler summary: "the slow rate of rapid progress"Richard H Hunt
J Clin Gastroenterol 41:539-45. 2007
- Helicobacter pylori and apoptosisEmilia Mia Sordillo
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, New York 10025, USA
Methods Enzymol 358:319-34. 2002
- Positive serology for Helicobacter pylori and vomiting in the pregnancyHaim Shirin
Department of Gastroenterology, E Wolfson Medical Center and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Holon, Israel
Arch Gynecol Obstet 270:10-4. 2004..The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether seropositivity for IgG antibodies to H. pylori may also be related to nausea, vomiting, heartburn and epigastric pain in pregnancy...
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs have bacteriostatic and bactericidal activity against Helicobacter pyloriHaim Shirin
Department of Gastroenterology, E Wolfson Medical Center, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:1388-93. 2006..Therefore, the purpose of the present paper was to examine whether specific NSAIDs inhibit the growth of Helicobacter pylori in vitro...
- H pylori mediated gastric carcinogenesisSteven Moss; Fiscal Year: 2002..pylori. 2. Evaluate in clinical specimens novel candidate gastric cancer genes identified from the differential global genome expression profiles of parental AGS gastric cells and their apoptosis-resistant derivatives. ..
- p27 & apoptosis resistance in gastric cancerSteven F Moss; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our overall long-term goal is to contribute to the development of new clinical strategies for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of gastric cancer. ..
- p27 & apoptosis resistance in gastric cancerSteven Moss; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our overall long-term goal is to contribute to the development of new clinical strategies for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of gastric cancer. ..