Elizabeth R Didie
Affiliation: Brown University
- Body dysmorphic disorder: treating an underrecognized disorderKatharine A Phillips
Butler Hospital, 345 Blackstone Blvd, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:1111-8. 2008
- Body image in patients with body dysmorphic disorder: evaluations of and investment in appearance, health/illness, and fitnessElizabeth R Didie
Butler Hospital and the Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI 02906, United States
Body Image 7:66-9. 2010..However, compared with population females, females with BDD were less alert to being ill. These findings suggest that patients with BDD differ from population norms in a number of important aspects of body image...
- Severity of interpersonal problems in individuals with body dysmorphic disorderElizabeth R Didie
Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI 02903, USA
J Pers Disord 26:345-56. 2012..These findings suggest that individuals with BDD have significant problems with interpersonal relationships, particularly in the areas of social inhibition and nonassertiveness...
- Social functioning in body dysmorphic disorder: assessment considerationsElizabeth R Didie
Butler Hospital, 345 Blackstone Blvd, Providence, RI, 02906, USA
Psychiatr Q 77:223-9. 2006..These findings suggest that the SAS-SR may underestimate social impairment. This underestimation may pertain to other domains of functioning, other disorders, and certain other functioning and quality of life measures...
- Occupational functioning and impairment in adults with body dysmorphic disorderElizabeth R Didie
Butler Hospital, Providence, RI 02906, USA Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI 02912, USA
Compr Psychiatry 49:561-9. 2008....
- A comparison of quality of life and psychosocial functioning in obsessive-compulsive disorder and body dysmorphic disorderElizabeth R Didie
Butler Hospital and Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown Medical School, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Ann Clin Psychiatry 19:181-6. 2007..Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) are possibly related disorders characterized by poor functioning and quality of life. However, few studies have compared these disorders in these important domains...
- Tanning in body dysmorphic disorderKatharine A Phillips
Butler Hospital, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Psychiatr Q 77:129-38. 2006..Tanners were more likely than non-tanners to compulsively pick their skin. In conclusion, tanning--a behavior with well-known health risks--is a relatively frequent BDD-related behavior...
- Clinical features and correlates of major depressive disorder in individuals with body dysmorphic disorderKatharine A Phillips
Butler Hospital, 345 Blackstone Blvd, Providence, RI 02906, United States
J Affect Disord 97:129-35. 2007..Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) and major depressive disorder (MDD) appear highly comorbid. However, MDD in individuals with BDD has received little investigation...
- Clinical features of body dysmorphic disorder in adolescents and adultsKatharine A Phillips
Butler Hospital, 345 Blackstone Blvd, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Psychiatry Res 141:305-14. 2006..Thus, adolescents with BDD have high levels of distress and rates of functional impairment, suicidal ideation, and suicide attempts. BDD's clinical features in adolescents appear largely similar to those in adults...
- Body dysmorphic disorderAndri S Bjornsson
Rhode Island Hospital and Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
Dialogues Clin Neurosci 12:221-32. 2010..Finally, we discuss treatment approaches that appear efficacious for BDD, with a focus on serotonin-reuptake inhibitors and cognitive-behavioral therapy...
- Body dysmorphic disorder: some key issues for DSM-VKatharine A Phillips
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
Depress Anxiety 27:573-91. 2010..The issue of how BDD's delusional variant should be classified in DSM-V is briefly discussed and will be addressed more extensively in a separate article...
- Childhood abuse and neglect in body dysmorphic disorderElizabeth R Didie
Butler Hospital, 345 Blackstone Boulevard, Providence, RI 02906, USA
Child Abuse Negl 30:1105-15. 2006..No published studies have examined childhood abuse and neglect in body dysmorphic disorder (BDD). This study examined the prevalence and clinical correlates of abuse and neglect in individuals with this disorder...
- The relationship between body dysmorphic disorder behaviors and the acquired capability for suicideTracy K Witte
Department of Psychology, Auburn University, Auburn, AL, USA
Suicide Life Threat Behav 42:318-31. 2012..Our hypothesis was partially confirmed, as BDD-related restrictive food intake was associated with suicide attempts (but not suicide-related ideation) even after controlling for numerous covariates...
- Personal and appearance-based rejection sensitivity in body dysmorphic disorderMegan M Kelly
Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford, MA, USA University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA, USA Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI, USA Electronic address
Body Image 11:260-5. 2014....
- Factors that influence the decision to undergo cosmetic breast augmentation surgeryElizabeth R Didie
Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 12:241-53. 2003..This study examined the factors that motivate women to seek cosmetic breast augmentation surgery...
- Re: "Mortality among Canadian women with cosmetic breast implants"Elizabeth R Didie
Am J Epidemiol 165:846; author reply 846-7. 2007
- Binge eating and psychological distress: is the degree of obesity a factor?Elizabeth R Didie
Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, USA
Eat Behav 6:35-41. 2005..These results replicate and extend previous findings, suggesting that binge eating pathology independent of weight status, accounts for psychological distress among binge eaters...
- Beauty and societyDavid B Sarwer
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, The Edwin and Fannie Gray Hall Center for Human Appearance, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Semin Cutan Med Surg 22:79-92. 2003..We then use the psychological construct of body image to begin to understand the nature of beauty on an individual level. The article concludes with a discussion of the things that we do to make ourselves more beautiful...
- Body dysmorphic disorder in cosmetic surgery patientsDavid B Sarwer
Department of Psychiatry, The University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, The Edwin and Fannie Gray Hall Center for Human Appearance, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Facial Plast Surg 19:7-18. 2003..Thus, identification of BDD symptomotology has become an important part of determining patients' appropriateness for cosmetic procedures...
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy for Body Dysmorphic DisorderElizabeth Didie; Fiscal Year: 2007....