Nelson C Lau
Affiliation: Brandeis University
- Abundant primary piRNAs, endo-siRNAs, and microRNAs in a Drosophila ovary cell lineNelson C Lau
Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, 02114, USA
Genome Res 19:1776-85. 2009..These data indicate that the restriction of certain TEs in somatic gonadal cells is largely mediated by a primary piRNA pathway...
- Small RNAs in the animal gonad: guarding genomes and guiding developmentNelson C Lau
Department of Biology, Brandeis University, 415 South Street, Waltham, MA 02454, USA
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 42:1334-47. 2010..Progress in this area will likely impact biomedical goals of manipulating stem cells and preventing diseases caused by the transposition of mobile DNA elements...
- Most Caenorhabditis elegans microRNAs are individually not essential for development or viabilityEric A Miska
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
PLoS Genet 3:e215. 2007..This study represents the first comprehensive genetic analysis of miRNA function in any organism and provides a unique, permanent resource for the systematic study of miRNAs...
- Characterization of the piRNA complex from rat testesNelson C Lau
Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, 185 Cambridge Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Science 313:363-7. 2006..Piwi has been genetically linked to TGS in flies, and slicer activity cofractionates with the purified complex. These results are consistent with a gene-silencing role for piRC in mammals...
- The coming of age for Piwi proteinsAnita G Seto
Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Mol Cell 26:603-9. 2007..Here, we highlight the recent progress in understanding Piwi function and the implications for germline and stem cell development...
- Analysis of small endogenous RNAsNelson C Lau
Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Curr Protoc Mol Biol . 2008..This unit also outlines a cell-based reporter gene assay for assessing the regulatory potential of a microRNA on a candidate mRNA target...
- Diverse roles for RNA in gene regulationNelson C Lau
Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 55 Fruit St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Genome Biol 6:315. 2005
- Systematic and single cell analysis of Xenopus Piwi-interacting RNAs and XiwiNelson C Lau
Department of Molecular Biology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
EMBO J 28:2945-58. 2009..We suggest that in addition to regulating transposable elements, Xiwi may function in specifying RNA localization in vertebrate oocytes...
- The microRNAs of Caenorhabditis elegansLee P Lim
Department of Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge 02139, USA
Genes Dev 17:991-1008. 2003..Our census of the worm miRNAs and their expression patterns helps define this class of noncoding RNAs, lays the groundwork for functional studies, and provides the tools for more comprehensive analyses of miRNA genes in other species...