Arthur W Bracey
- Lowering the hemoglobin threshold for transfusion in coronary artery bypass procedures: effect on patient outcomeA W Bracey
Department of Pathology, Texas Heart Institute St Luke s Episcopal Hospital and Prairie View A and M College of Nursing, Houston 77030, USA
Transfusion 39:1070-7. 1999..The goal of this study was to determine if lowering the hemoglobin threshold for red cell (RBC) transfusion to 8 g per dL after coronary artery bypass graft surgery would reduce blood use without adversely affecting patient outcome...
- Impact of platelet testing on presurgical screening and implications for cardiac and noncardiac surgical proceduresArthur W Bracey
Division of Cardiovascular Pathology, The Texas Heart Institute at St Luke s Episcopal Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77225, USA
Am J Cardiol 98:25N-32N. 2006....
- Fatal pulmonary microthrombi during surgical therapy for end-stage heart failure: possible association with antifibrinolytic therapyJohn R Cooper
Department of Cardiovascular Anesthesiology, Texas Heart Institute at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Tex, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 131:963-8. 2006..Anticoagulation and antifibrinolytic therapy protocols may require adjustment in such patients...
- Plasma exchange before surgery for left ventricular assist device implantationRajko Radovancevic
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery and the Department of Pathology, Texas Heart Institute at St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, TX 77225 0345, USA
Artif Organs 32:427-32. 2008..026), and postoperative chest tube drainage decreased by 33% (P = not significant). Blood transfusion requirements were similar. Perioperative mortality decreased in patients treated with plasma exchange before LVAD implantation...
- Intraoperative anticoagulation management during cardiac transplantation for a patient with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia and a left ventricular assist deviceYasmin Wadia
Department of Cardiopulmonary Transplantation and the Center for Cardiac Support, Texas Heart Institute at St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Texas 77225 0345, USA
Tex Heart Inst J 35:62-5. 2008..We describe the re-exposure to unfractionated heparin of a patient with a left ventricular assist device and evidence of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia who needed cardiac transplantation, which was accomplished without complications...
- Significance of anaemia in patients with advanced heart failure receiving long-term mechanical circulatory supportBojan Vrtovec
Center for Cardiac Support, Texas Heart Institute at St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, TX 77225 0345, USA
Eur J Heart Fail 11:1000-4. 2009..The aim of this study was to analyse the prognostic impact of anaemia in patients receiving long-term left ventricular assist device (LVAD) support...
- Increased leukocyte-platelet interactions during circulatory support with left ventricular assist devicesRajko Radovancevic
Center for Cardiac Support, Texas Heart Institute at St Luke s Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Texas 77225 0345, USA
ASAIO J 55:459-64. 2009..84, p < 0.0001), and between CD14 and PSGL-1 (R = -0.46, p = 0.022) indicating monocyte activation. These results indicate increased platelet and monocyte activation and interactions in patients undergoing long-term LVAD support...
- The effect of administering erythropoiesis-stimulating proteins in patients with chronic heart failure: results from a retrospective studyReynolds M Delgado
Department of Cardiopulmonary Transplantation, Texas Heart Institute at St Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Houston, TX 77225-0345, USA
Congest Heart Fail 12:297-301. 2006..These results suggest a potential benefit of anemia treatment with recombinant erythropoiesis-stimulating proteins in patients with chronic heart failure...
- Clopidogrel and bleeding in patients undergoing elective coronary artery bypass graftingLiQian Chen
Department of Cardiovascular Anesthesiology, Texas Heart Institute at St Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Tex, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 128:425-31. 2004..Preheparin testing of platelet function with adenosine diphosphate aggregometry can identify patients at highest risk for perioperative bleeding and transfusions and might further reduce the perioperative transfusion requirement...
- Pulmonary microthrombi during left ventricular assist device implantationIgor D Gregoric
The Department of Cardiopulmonary Transplantation, Texas Heart Institute at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Tex Heart Inst J 32:228-31. 2005..To our knowledge, the direct application of tissue plasminogen activator into the pulmonary artery in such a catastrophic situation has not been used elsewhere...
- A successful anticoagulation protocol for the first HeartMate II implantation in the United StatesOffer Amir
Department of Cardiopulmonary Transplantation, Texas Heart Institute at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Tex Heart Inst J 32:399-401. 2005..We describe the anticoagulation protocol for the 1st patient in the United States to undergo successful implantation of the HeartMate II left ventricular assist system...