Genomes and Genes
S J Robins
Affiliation: Boston University
- Genome-wide association with select biomarker traits in the Framingham Heart StudyEmelia J Benjamin
The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute s Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, MA, USA
BMC Med Genet 8:S11. 2007..Genome-wide association studies (GWAS) provide mechanisms to investigate the genetic contributions to biomarker variability unconstrained by current knowledge of physiological relations...
- Delineation of a novel hepatic route for the selective transfer of unesterified sterols from high-density lipoproteins to bile: studies using the perfused rat liverS J Robins
Department of Medicine, Department of Veterans Affairs, and Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Hepatology 29:1541-8. 1999..By this process, HDL can promote reverse cholesterol transport from peripheral tissues to bile, even without an increase in biliary cholesterol secretion...
- Cardiovascular events with increased lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A(2) and low high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol: the Veterans Affairs HDL Intervention TrialSander J Robins
Framingham Heart Study, 73 Mt Wayte Avenue, Framingham, MA 01702, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:1172-8. 2008..We sought to determine whether increased Lp-PLA(2) would also predict CV events in the absence of high LDL-cholesterol (LDL-C), in a population with low high-density lipoprotein-cholesterol (HDL-C)...
- Body weight, plasma insulin, and coronary events with gemfibrozil in the Veterans Affairs High-Density Lipoprotein Intervention Trial (VA-HIT)Sander J Robins
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Atherosclerosis 196:849-55. 2008....
- Fibric acid derivatives in cardiovascular disease prevention: results from the large clinical trialsSander J Robins
Boston University School of Medicine, Massachussetts, USA
Curr Opin Lipidol 17:431-9. 2006..This review focuses on a number of extended analyses from these trials that may relate to the success or failure of fibrate therapy and indicate who might likely benefit from this therapy...
- Lipid therapy for cardiovascular disease with insulin resistance, diabetes, or the metabolic syndromeSander J Robins
Framingham Heart Study, 73 Mt Wayte Avenue, Framingham, MA 01702, USA
Curr Cardiol Rep 7:457-64. 2005....
- Cardiovascular disease with diabetes or the metabolic syndrome: should statins or fibrates be first line lipid therapy?Sander J Robins
Division of Endocrinology, Nutrition, and Diabetes, Boston University School of Medicine, Evans 201, 88 East Newton Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Curr Opin Lipidol 14:575-83. 2003....
- Insulin resistance and cardiovascular events with low HDL cholesterol: the Veterans Affairs HDL Intervention Trial (VA-HIT)Sander J Robins
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Diabetes Care 26:1513-7. 2003....
- Insulin resistance and the relationship of a dyslipidemia to coronary heart disease: the Framingham Heart StudySander J Robins
Framingham Heart Study, 73 Mount Wayte Ave, Ste 2, Framingham, MA 01702 5803, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 31:1208-14. 2011....
- Targeting low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol for therapy: lessons from the Veterans Affairs High-density Lipoprotein Intervention TrialS J Robins
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Am J Cardiol 88:19N-23N. 2001..These individuals especially benefited from gemfibrozil, and thus, fibrate therapy may have an increasing role in reducing coronary artery disease risk in a setting of an increasing worldwide prevalence of obesity and diabetes...
- Relation of gemfibrozil treatment and lipid levels with major coronary events: VA-HIT: a randomized controlled trialS J Robins
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, 88 E Newton St, Boston, MA 02118, USA
JAMA 285:1585-91. 2001..1 years by treating patients with the fibric acid derivative gemfibrozil when the predominant lipid abnormality was low HDL-C...
- Value of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) subpopulations in predicting recurrent cardiovascular events in the Veterans Affairs HDL Intervention TrialBela F Asztalos
Lipid Metabolism Laboratory, HNRCA, Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:2185-91. 2005....
- Usefulness of the triglyceride-high-density lipoprotein versus the cholesterol-high-density lipoprotein ratio for predicting insulin resistance and cardiometabolic risk (from the Framingham Offspring Cohort)William B Kannel
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute s Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Cardiol 101:497-501. 2008..In conclusion, our observations suggested that the TG/HDL cholesterol ratio was an imperfect surrogate for IR and its associated CHD risk, and it was only slightly better than the total/HDL cholesterol ratio for this purpose...
- The L162V polymorphism at the peroxisome proliferator activated receptor alpha locus modulates the risk of cardiovascular events associated with insulin resistance and diabetes mellitus: the Veterans Affairs HDL Intervention Trial (VA-HIT)E Shyong Tai
Nutrition and Genomics Unit, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center for Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA, USA
Atherosclerosis 187:153-60. 2006..We hypothesized that the association between a functional polymorphism at the PPARA locus (L162V) and the risk of a CV event, as well as response to fibrate therapy, might be greatest in those with either IR or DM (DM/IR) in VA-HIT...
- Relation of gemfibrozil treatment and high-density lipoprotein subpopulation profile with cardiovascular events in the Veterans Affairs High-Density Lipoprotein Intervention TrialBela F Asztalos
Lipid Metabolism Laboratory, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Metabolism 57:77-83. 2008..It is quite possible that much of the cardiovascular benefits of gemfibrozil are due to a much wider spectrum of effects on metabolic processes that is not reflected by changes in blood lipids and HDL subpopulations...
- Cholesteryl ester transfer protein TaqI B2B2 genotype is associated with higher HDL cholesterol levels and lower risk of coronary heart disease end points in men with HDL deficiency: Veterans Affairs HDL Cholesterol Intervention TrialMargaret E Brousseau
Lipid Metabolism Laboratory, JM USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University and Department of Medicine, New England Medical Center, Boston, Mass 02111, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22:1148-54. 2002..The present study was undertaken to further define the relationship between this polymorphism and CHD risk at the population level...
- Clinical and genetic factors associated with lipoprotein-associated phospholipase A2 in the Framingham Heart StudyRenate Schnabel
The NHLBI s Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, MA 01702 5827, USA
Atherosclerosis 204:601-7. 2009..Higher circulating Lp-PLA(2) predicts cardiovascular disease risk, but sources of inter-individual variability are incompletely understood...
- Association of circulating cholesteryl ester transfer protein activity with incidence of cardiovascular disease in the communityRamachandran S Vasan
Framingham Heart Study, 73 Mount Wayte Ave, Framingham, MA 01702 5803, USA
Circulation 120:2414-20. 2009..Data relating circulating CETP concentrations to CVD incidence in the community are conflicting...
- Multiple biomarkers for the prediction of first major cardiovascular events and deathThomas J Wang
Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, MA, USA
N Engl J Med 355:2631-9. 2006..Few investigations have evaluated the incremental usefulness of multiple biomarkers from distinct biologic pathways for predicting the risk of cardiovascular events...
- Contemporary trends in dyslipidemia in the Framingham Heart StudyErik Ingelsson
Framingham Heart Study, Boston University School of Medicine, 73 Mount Wayte Ave, Framingham, MA 01702 5803, USA
Arch Intern Med 169:279-86. 2009..Recent cross-sectional population studies in the United States have shown an increase in obesity, a decrease in cholesterol values, but no changes in levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) or triglycerides (TG)...
- Increased small low-density lipoprotein particle number: a prominent feature of the metabolic syndrome in the Framingham Heart StudySekar Kathiresan
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute's Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, MA, USA
Circulation 113:20-9. 2006..Whereas increased small LDL particle number identified the MetSyn with high sensitivity, a higher small LDL particle number was not associated with greater CVD event rates in people with the MetSyn...
- Neck circumference as a novel measure of cardiometabolic risk: the Framingham Heart studySarah Rosner Preis
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute s and Boston University s Framingham Heart Study, 73 Mount Wayte Avenue, Suite 2, Framingham, Massachusetts 01702, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95:3701-10. 2010..Neck circumference, a proxy for upper-body sc fat, may be a unique fat depot that confers additional cardiovascular risk above and beyond central body fat...
- Long-term C-reactive protein variability and prediction of metabolic riskTing Hsu Chen
The Framingham Heart Study and Boston University School of Medicine, Framingham, Mass, USA
Am J Med 122:53-61. 2009....
- Relations of lipid concentrations to heart failure incidence: the Framingham Heart StudyRaghava S Velagaleti
Framingham Heart Study, Center for Population Studies, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, 73 Mt Wayte Avenue, Framingham, MA 01702, USA
Circulation 120:2345-51. 2009..The relations of lipid concentrations to heart failure (HF) risk have not been elucidated comprehensively...
- Multiple biomarkers and the risk of incident hypertensionThomas J Wang
Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, Mass, USA
Hypertension 49:432-8. 2007..These data support the premise that abnormalities in multiple biological pathways antedate the onset of overt hypertension...
- Adiposity, cardiometabolic risk, and vitamin D status: the Framingham Heart StudySusan Cheng
Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes 59:242-8. 2010..Few studies relating vitamin D deficiency to obesity have included direct measures of adiposity. Furthermore, the degree to which vitamin D is associated with metabolic traits after adjusting for adiposity measures is unclear...
- Treatment of lipid disorders after strokeJoao A Gomes
Department of Neurology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston VA Medical Center, 150 South Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Curr Atheroscler Rep 4:304-10. 2002..Lipid treatment trials focused on stroke risk reduction are urgently needed...
- Common variants in the gene encoding ATP-binding cassette transporter 1 in men with low HDL cholesterol levels and coronary heart diseaseM E Brousseau
The Lipid Metabolism Laboratory, JM USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts, Boston, MA, USA
Atherosclerosis 154:607-11. 2001....
- Polymorphisms in the gene encoding lipoprotein lipase in men with low HDL-C and coronary heart disease: the Veterans Affairs HDL Intervention TrialMargaret E Brousseau
Lipid Metabolism Laboratory, Jean Mayer United States Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, and Department of Medicine, New England Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
J Lipid Res 45:1885-91. 2004....
- Plasma phosphatidylcholine docosahexaenoic acid content and risk of dementia and Alzheimer disease: the Framingham Heart StudyErnst J Schaefer
Lipid Metabolism Laboratory, Jean Mayer US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging, Tuffs University, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Arch Neurol 63:1545-50. 2006..Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is an abundant fatty acid in the brain. In the diet, DHA is found mostly in fatty fish. The content of DHA has been shown to be decreased in the brain and plasma of patients with dementia...
- Clinical correlates and heritability of cystatin C (from the Framingham Offspring Study)Nisha I Parikh
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute s Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Cardiol 102:1194-8. 2008..35 (p <0.001). In conclusion, high CysC is associated with CVD risk factors even in the absence of CKD. The strong associations between CysC and CVD risk factors may partially explain why CysC is a strong predictor of incident CVD...
- LpA-I, LpA-I:A-II HDL and CHD-risk: The Framingham Offspring Study and the Veterans Affairs HDL Intervention TrialBela F Asztalos
Lipid Metabolism Laboratory, JM USDA HNRCA, Tufts University, 711 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Atherosclerosis 188:59-67. 2006..We tested the hypothesis that concentrations of LpA-I and/or LpA-I:A-II HDL subclasses are significantly associated with CHD prevalence and recurrent cardiovascular events...
- Diabetes, plasma insulin, and cardiovascular disease: subgroup analysis from the Department of Veterans Affairs high-density lipoprotein intervention trial (VA-HIT)Hanna Bloomfield Rubins
Section of General Internal Medicine 111O, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 1 Veterans Dr, Minneapolis, MN 55417
Arch Intern Med 162:2597-604. 2002..Diabetes mellitus, impaired fasting glucose level, or insulin resistance are associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease...
- Cost-effectiveness of gemfibrozil for coronary heart disease patients with low levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol: the Department of Veterans Affairs High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol Intervention TrialJohn A Nyman
Division of Health Services Research and Policy, University of Minnesota, 420 Delaware St SE, Mail Route 729, Minneapolis, MN 55455 0392, USA
Arch Intern Med 162:177-82. 2002..The study showed that gemfibrozil therapy significantly reduced major cardiovascular events (cardiovascular death, myocardial infarction, and stroke) in patients with coronary heart disease, low HDL-C levels, and low LDL-C levels...
- Role of fibric acid derivatives in the management of risk factors for coronary heart diseaseJean Pierre Despres
Quebec Heart Institute, Laval Hospital Research Center, Quebec, Canada
Drugs 64:2177-98. 2004....
- Low-density lipoprotein and high-density lipoprotein particle subclasses predict coronary events and are favorably changed by gemfibrozil therapy in the Veterans Affairs High-Density Lipoprotein Intervention TrialJames D Otvos
LipoScience, Inc, Raleigh, NC, USA
Circulation 113:1556-63. 2006....
- Gamma glutamyl transferase and metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular disease, and mortality risk: the Framingham Heart StudyDouglas S Lee
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Division of Cardiology, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Rm G 106, 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, Ontario, M4N 3M5 Canada
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:127-33. 2007..To determine whether serum gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) predicts cardiovascular disease (CVD) morbidity and mortality, accounting for temporal changes in known CVD risk factors and C-reactive protein (CRP)...
- Codon 54 polymorphism of the fatty acid binding protein (FABP) 2 gene is associated with increased cardiovascular risk in the dyslipidemic diabetic participants of the Veterans Affairs HDL intervention trial (VA-HIT)Angeliki Georgopoulos
Medicine Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Atherosclerosis 194:169-74. 2007..0002). We conclude that based on the VA-HIT data, the Thr-54 polymorphism of the FABP2 gene is associated with a 2-3.5-fold increase in cardiovascular risk in dyslipidemic men with diabetes compared to their non-diabetic counterparts...
- MRC/BHF Heart Protection StudySander J Robins
Lancet 360:1780; author reply 1783-4. 2002