Michael J O'Brien
Affiliation: Boston University School of Medicine
- Flat adenomas in the National Polyp Study: is there increased risk for high-grade dysplasia initially or during surveillance?Michael J O'Brien
Department of Pathology, Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2:905-11. 2004..Sessile adenomas from the National Polyp Study cohort were reclassified histopathologically as flat or polypoid and compared with initial and surveillance pathology...
- Hyperplastic (serrated) polyps of the colorectum: relationship of CpG island methylator phenotype and K-ras mutation to location and histologic subtypeMichael J O'Brien
Department of Pathology, Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:423-34. 2004..We postulate that MVSP and GCSP may be precursor lesions that, if proximally located or larger, can progress to SPAP. Frequent K-ras mutations and infrequent CIMP distinguish the distal GCSP variant...
- Hyperplastic and serrated polyps of the colorectumMichael J O'Brien
Boston University School of Medicine, Robinson Building, Room 904, 80 East Concord Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 36:947-68, viii. 2007..Clinical studies are needed to elucidate the natural history of serrated neoplasia, and provide evidence-based guidance for risk assessment and surveillance of individuals discovered to harbor its various serrated polyp precursors...
- Comparison of microsatellite instability, CpG island methylation phenotype, BRAF and KRAS status in serrated polyps and traditional adenomas indicates separate pathways to distinct colorectal carcinoma end pointsMichael J O'Brien
Department of Pathology, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 30:1491-501. 2006....
- The clinical significance of serrated polypsChristopher S Huang
Department of Medicine, Section of Gastroenterology, Boston Medical Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 106:229-40; quiz 241. 2011..This article focuses on the characteristics and significance of clinically relevant serrated polyps and addresses implications for CRC prevention practices...
- Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 is increased in colonic epithelial cells from patients with colitis-associated cancerEarl Gillespie
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, United States
J Crohns Colitis 7:403-11. 2013..Patients with long-term ulcerative colitis are at risk for developing colorectal cancer...
- BRAF and KRAS Mutations in hyperplastic polyps and serrated adenomas of the colorectum: relationship to histology and CpG island methylation statusShi Yang
Department of Pathology, Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:1452-9. 2004..In contrast, the association of higher levels of CpG island methylation with more advanced histologic changes suggests that CpG island methylation plays a role in serrated polyp progression toward colorectal carcinoma...
- Hyperplastic polyps, serrated adenomas, and the serrated polyp neoplasia pathwayChristopher S Huang
Section of Gastroenterology, Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 99:2242-55. 2004
- Variation in the detection of serrated polyps in an average risk colorectal cancer screening cohortJeremy T Hetzel
Department of Medicine, Section of Gastroenterology, Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 105:2656-64. 2010..This study assessed the variation of serrated polyp detection among endoscopists and pathologists in an average risk-screening cohort and trends in detection over time...
- Truncated neurokinin-1 receptor is increased in colonic epithelial cells from patients with colitis-associated cancerEarl Gillespie
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:17420-5. 2011..The tr-NK-1R could prove useful as a diagnostic marker to identify patients at risk for neoplasia and may serve as a useful therapeutic target in the treatment of colitis-associated cancer...
- Is pyloric gland metaplasia in ileal pouch biopsies a marker for Crohn's disease?Shuchi Agarwal
Section of Gastroenterology, Boston University School of Medicine, 85 East Concord St 7th Floor, Boston, MA, 02118, USA
Dig Dis Sci 58:2918-25. 2013..Serological markers and histologic aspects of the pouch such as pyloric gland metaplasia (PGM) have been associated with a risk for these complications...
- Epidemiology of goblet cell and microvesicular hyperplastic polypsTaha M Qazi
Department of Internal Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 109:1922-32. 2014..The purpose of this study is to characterize the associations between particular risk factors and the development of goblet cell or microvesicular hyperplastic polyps...
- Prevalence of advanced colorectal neoplasia in white and black patients undergoing screening colonoscopy in a safety-net hospitalPaul C Schroy
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Ann Intern Med 159:13-20. 2013..Chinese translation..
- A Risk Prediction Index for Advanced Colorectal Neoplasia at Screening ColonoscopyPaul C Schroy
Department of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 110:1062-71. 2015..Our objective was to develop and validate a clinical index for estimating the probability of ACN at screening colonoscopy...
- Raising gestational choline intake alters gene expression in DMBA-evoked mammary tumors and prolongs survivalVesela P Kovacheva
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
FASEB J 23:1054-63. 2009..Our results suggest a role for adequate maternal choline nutrition during pregnancy in prevention/alleviation of breast cancer in daughters...
- Endoscopic histological assessment of colonic polyps by using elastic scattering spectroscopyEladio Rodriguez-Diaz
Department of Medicine, Section of Gastroenterology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 81:539-47. 2015..Elastic-scattering spectroscopy (ESS) can assess in vivo and in real-time the scattering and absorption properties of tissue related to underlying pathologies...
- Colorectal serrated pathway cancers and precursorsMichael J O'Brien
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Histopathology 66:49-65. 2015..The identification, removal and appropriate classification of at-risk SP precursors and surveillance of individuals who harbour these lesions present a challenge and opportunity for CRC prevention and mortality reduction. ..
- The epidemiology of outpatient visits for minor head injury: 2005 to 2009Rebekah Mannix
Division of Emergency Medicine, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Neurosurgery 73:129-34; discussion 134. 2013..The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have called for studies detailing the prevalence and burden of mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI) in the outpatient clinical setting...
- The prevalence of undiagnosed concussions in athletesWilliam P Meehan
Sports Concussion Clinic, Division of Sports Medicine, Department of Orthopaedics, Boston Children s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Clin J Sport Med 23:339-42. 2013..Previous studies suggest athletes underreport concussions. We sought to determine whether athletes in our clinics have sustained previous concussions that went undiagnosed...
- MIP-3alpha neutralizing monoclonal antibody protects against TNBS-induced colonic injury and inflammation in miceKianoosh Katchar
Division of Gastroenterology, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 292:G1263-71. 2007....
- Prognostic significance of superficial fissuring ulceration in patients with severe "indeterminate" colitisRhonda K Yantiss
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical School UMass Memorial Health Care, Worcester, MA, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 30:165-70. 2006..Nevertheless, the presence of superficial fissuring-type ulcers in patients with severe chronic active UC denotes a subgroup with a higher risk of pouchitis following surgical resection...