KAREN contact FREUND
Affiliation: Boston University School of Medicine
- National Cancer Institute Patient Navigation Research Program: methods, protocol, and measuresKaren M Freund
Women s Health Unit, Department of Medicine, and Women s Health Interdisciplinary Research Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Cancer 113:3391-9. 2008..To overcome these limitations, a 9-site National Cancer Institute Patient Navigation Research Program (PNRP) was initiated...
- Disparities by race, ethnicity, and sex in treating acute coronary syndromesKaren M Freund
Evans Department of Medicine, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 21:126-32. 2012..Our objective was to determine if racial/ethnic and sex differences in the use of coronary revascularization persist in a more recent cohort...
- Update in women's healthKaren M Freund
Women s Health Unit, Evans Department of Medicine, Boston University Medical Center, 720 Harrison Avenue, Suite 1108, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Ann Intern Med 138:119-27. 2003
- Early antidepressant therapy for elderly patientsKaren M Freund
Section of General Internal Medicine, Evans Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02118 2334, USA
Am J Med 114:15-9. 2003..We studied factors affecting the management of depression in older patients, especially the use of early antidepressant therapy...
- Pre-pregnancy body mass index among pregnant adolescents: gestational weight gain and long-term post partum weight retentionNatalie Pierre Joseph
Department of Pediatrics, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 21:195-200. 2008..To determine the relationship between adolescents' pre-pregnancy body mass index (BMI), and gestational weight gain and postpartum weight retention...
- Healthcare preferences among lesbians: a focus group analysisMargaret R Seaver
VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, Massachusetts 02130, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 17:215-25. 2008..The healthcare needs of lesbians are not well understood. We sought to characterize lesbians' experiences with, and preferences for, women's healthcare...
- Improving follow-up to abnormal breast cancer screening in an urban population. A patient navigation interventionTracy A Battaglia
Women s Health Unit, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Cancer 109:359-67. 2007..003). Our data suggest a benefit of patient navigators in reducing delay in breast cancer care for poor and minority populations. Cancer 2007. (c) 2006 American Cancer Society...
- Cancer prevention trials and primary care physicians: factors associated with recommending trial enrollmentTracy A Battaglia
Women s Health Unit, Section of General Internal Medicine, Evans Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, 720 Harrison Avenue, DOB Suite 1108, Boston, MA 02118 2334, USA
Cancer Detect Prev 30:34-7. 2006..To explore the willingness of primary care providers (PCPs) to encourage enrollment of patients into cancer prevention trials...
- Pap smear rates among Haitian immigrant women in eastern MassachusettsEric H Green
Women s Health Unit, Section of General Internal Medicine, Evans Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Public Health Rep 120:133-9. 2005..S., this study was designed to examine self-reported Pap smear screening rates for Haitian immigrant women and compare them to rates for women of other ethnicities...
- Mammography useMichele M David
Haitian Health Institute, Boston Medical Center, MA, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 97:253-61. 2005..The goal of this study was to compare mammography use in Haitian women versus that of other racial/ethnic groups in the same neighborhoods and to identify factors associated with mammography use in subpopulations that are seldom studied...
- Effect of patient gender on late-life depression managementSusan M Frayne
Center for Health Care Evaluation, VA Palo Alto Healthcare System, and Stanford University, Palo Alto, California 94025, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 13:919-25. 2004..To determine whether patient gender influences physicians' management of late-life major depression in older and younger elderly patients...
- Sexual minority women's coping and psychological adjustment after a diagnosis of breast cancerUlrike Boehmer
Department of Health Services, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 14:214-24. 2005..To determine factors that influence sexual minority women's coping responses and adjustment to breast cancer...
- Inadequate follow-up for abnormal Pap smears in an urban populationNeeraja B Peterson
Women s Health Unit, Section of General Internal Medicine, Evans Department of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 95:825-32. 2003..To determine the factors associated with inadequate follow-up for abnormal Pap smears among a cohort of Boston women from urban academic clinics...
- Patient navigation: state of the art or is it science?Kristen J Wells
Department of Health Outcomes and Behavior, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Cancer 113:1999-2010. 2008..Although cancer-related patient navigation interventions are being adopted increasingly across the United States and Canada, further research will be necessary to evaluate their efficacy and cost-effectiveness in improving cancer care...
- Depression management in medical clinics: does healthcare sector make a difference?Susan M Frayne
VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston University, Boston, Mass, USA
Am J Med Qual 19:28-36. 2004..Access to mental health services may prove valuable in the campaign to increase physician adherence to depression clinical guidelines...
- Psychosocial correlates of exercise in women with self-reported depressive symptomsLynette L Craft
Dept of Preventive Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Phys Act Health 5:469-80. 2008..Exercise effectively reduces symptoms of depression. However, correlates of regular exercise in depressed women are unknown. This study assessed psychosocial determinants of exercise in a sample of women with depressive symptoms...
- Intervention study of exercise for depressive symptoms in womenLynette L Craft
Department of Preventive Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Womens Health (Larchmt) 16:1499-509. 2007..Our objectives were to (1) compare two exercise programs, varying in their degree of structure, on improvements in physical activity and (2) compare the two exercise interventions on depressive symptoms, body composition, and fitness...
- Breast reconstruction following mastectomy for breast cancer: the decisions of sexual minority womenUlrike Boehmer
Department of Health Services, Boston University School of Public Health, MA, USA
Plast Reconstr Surg 119:464-72. 2007..The purpose of this study is to explore which issues sexual minority women considered when making decisions on reconstructive surgery and to understand the influence and perspectives of these women's most important support persons...
- The effect of a primary care exercise intervention for rural womenBonnie J Sherman
The Women s Health Unit, Evans Department of Medicine, and the Women s Health Interdisciplinary Research Center, Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Prev Med 44:198-201. 2007..Rural women have limited exercise opportunities and significant barriers to engaging in physical activity. This study assessed the effect of a brief primary care based walking intervention in rural women...
- Support providers of sexual minority women with breast cancer: who they are and how they impact the breast cancer experienceUlrike Boehmer
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, Boston University, Boston, MA, USA
J Psychosom Res 59:307-14. 2005..The aim of this study was to identify the factors associated with adjustment to breast cancer among sexual minority women with breast cancer and their support person...
- A qualitative evaluation of the National Centers of Excellence in Women's Health ProgramRobert M Goodman
Department of Community Health Sciences, School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, Tulane Xavier Universities, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Womens Health Issues 12:291-308. 2002....
- "Patient Navigation in the SafetyNet: CONNECTeDD"Karen Freund; Fiscal Year: 2007..of this study will inform the design of a generalizable standard, effective and cost efficient patient navigation model that will eliminate barriers to timely, quality cancer care among racial/ethnic minority and lower income populations ..
- BU Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's HealthKaren Freund; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Advisory Panel will review progress of the Scholars annually and recommend ongoing support. The Program will also conduct an annual external evaluation of scholar's and mentor's BIRCWH experiences for suggested improvements. ..
- Longitudinal Follow-up to the National Faculty SurveyKAREN contact FREUND; Fiscal Year: 2010..S. medical schools. Our results will assist policy makers and academic leaders in developing programs and policies that will eliminate inequities in career advancement. ..