Affiliation: Boston University
- Datta S. Activation of pedunculopontine tegmental PKA prevents GABAB receptor activation-mediated rapid eye movement sleep suppression in the freely moving rat. J Neurophysiol. 2007;97:3841-50 pubmed..These findings suggest that the PPT GABA(B) receptor activation-mediated REM sleep regulating mechanism involves inactivation of cAMP-PKA signaling in the freely moving rat. ..
- Datta S, Spoley E, Patterson E. Microinjection of glutamate into the pedunculopontine tegmentum induces REM sleep and wakefulness in the rat. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2001;280:R752-9 pubmed..The knowledge of this optimal dose will be useful in future studies investigating the second messenger systems involved in the regulation of wakefulness and REM sleep...
- Datta S, Siwek D, Stack E. Identification of cholinergic and non-cholinergic neurons in the pons expressing phosphorylated cyclic adenosine monophosphate response element-binding protein as a function of rapid eye movement sleep. Neuroscience. 2009;163:397-414 pubmed publisher..Moreover the results indicate that during REM sleep, PPT intracellular PKA activation and a transcriptional cascade involving pCREB occur exclusively in the cholinergic neurons. ..
- Datta S, Desarnaud F. Protein kinase A in the pedunculopontine tegmental nucleus of rat contributes to regulation of rapid eye movement sleep. J Neurosci. 2010;30:12263-73 pubmed publisher..945; n = 40 rats). Collectively, these results provide evidence that activation of intracellular PKA in the PPT contributes to REM sleep recovery following REM sleep deprivation. ..
- Datta S, O Malley M, Patterson E. Calcium/calmodulin kinase II in the pedunculopontine tegmental nucleus modulates the initiation and maintenance of wakefulness. J Neurosci. 2011;31:17007-16 pubmed publisher..These findings are relevant for designing a drug that could treat excessive sleepiness by promoting alertness. ..