Bei Hung Chang
Affiliation: Boston University
- Spiritual needs and spiritual care for veterans at end of life and their familiesBei Hung Chang
VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Am J Hosp Palliat Care 29:610-7. 2012..Generally, respondents reported satisfaction with VA spiritual care, but indicated that Veterans may benefit from greater access to VA chaplains and explicit discussion of the impact of their military experience on their spirituality...
- Psychobiological changes from relaxation response elicitation: long-term practitioners vs. novicesBei Hung Chang
Boston University School of Public Health, Department of Health Policy and Management, Boston, MA, USA
Psychosomatics 52:550-9. 2011..We investigate the psychological and biological effects, as well as the correlation between these two effects that are associated with short-term vs. long-term practice of techniques that elicit the RR ("RR practice")...
- The role of religion/spirituality in coping with caregiving for disabled eldersB H Chang
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes, and Economic Research, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial VA Hospital, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Gerontologist 38:463-70. 1998..Caregivers who used religious or spiritual beliefs to cope with caregiving had a better relationship with care recipients, which was associated with lower levels of depression and role submersion...
- Acupuncture and the relaxation response for treating gastrointestinal symptoms in HIV patients on highly active antiretroviral therapyBei Hung Chang
VA Boston Health Care System, 150 S Huntington Avenue 152H, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Acupunct Med 29:180-7. 2011..To examine the effect of acupuncture and the relaxation response (RR) for treating gastrointestinal (GI) symptoms in HIV patients who are using highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART)...
- Relaxation response and spirituality: Pathways to improve psychological outcomes in cardiac rehabilitationBei Hung Chang
Department of Health Policy and Management, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
J Psychosom Res 69:93-100. 2010..In this study, we tested the hypothesis that increased spiritual well-being by eliciting the RR is one pathway resulting in improved psychological outcomes...
- The combined effect of relaxation response and acupuncture on quality of life in patients with HIV: a pilot studyBei Hung Chang
Department of Health Policy and Management, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02130, USA
J Altern Complement Med 13:807-15. 2007..In light of the presumed shared features of acupuncture and the RR, we conducted a pilot study to examine the effects of adding the RR to usual acupuncture treatment on improving the QoL of HIV/AIDS patients...
- Relaxation response with acupuncture trial in patients with HIV: feasibility and participant experiencesBei Hung Chang
Department of Health Policy and Management, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02130, USA
J Altern Complement Med 13:719-24. 2007..In this paper, we report on the feasibility and patients' experience from the study participation...
- A relaxation response randomized trial on patients with chronic heart failureBei Hung Chang
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes, and Economic Research, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford VAMC, 200 Springs Road 152, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
J Cardiopulm Rehabil 25:149-57. 2005..We evaluated the efficacy of an RR intervention program on the quality of life (QOL) and exercise capacity of CHF patients by conducting a single-blind, 3-arm, randomized, controlled trial...
- Relaxation response for Veterans Affairs patients with congestive heart failure: results from a qualitative study within a clinical trialBei Hung Chang
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes, and Economic Research, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Prev Cardiol 7:64-70. 2004..The value of the RR in congestive heart failure health care is suggested by the results...
- Patient recruitment to a randomized clinical trial of behavioral therapy for chronic heart failureBei Hung Chang
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes, and Economic Research, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford, MA, USA
BMC Med Res Methodol 4:8. 2004..Particularly, we identify factors that, according to patient reports, motivated study participation...
- Analyzing data with clumping at zero. An example demonstrationB H Chang
New England Research Institutes, Watertown, MA 01730, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 53:1036-43. 2000..If the proportional odds assumption is valid, then it appears to be the method of choice; otherwise, the combination of logistic regression and a linear model is preferable...
- Meta-analysis of binary data: which within study variance estimate to use?B H Chang
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes, and Economic Research, Bedford VA Medical Center, Boston University SPH, 200 Springs Road Building 70, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Stat Med 20:1947-56. 2001..Finally, we showed that a simple regression analysis is not appropriate unless tau(2) is much larger than sigma(2)(i), or a robust variance is used...
- The relationship between sexual assault, religiosity, and mental health among male veteransBei Hung Chang
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes, and Economic Research, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford, Massachusetts 01730, USA
Int J Psychiatry Med 33:223-39. 2003..We examine the association between sexual assault, religion and mental health among male veterans...
- Religion and mental health among women veterans with sexual assault experienceB H Chang
Boston University School of Public Health and Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Massachusetts, USA
Int J Psychiatry Med 31:77-95. 2001..In this study we examined the buffering effect of religion on mental health and depression for women who report experiencing sexual assault while in the military...
- Racial differences in health-related beliefs, attitudes, and experiences of VA cardiac patients: scale development and applicationNancy R Kressin
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes and Economic Research a VA Health Services Research and Development National Center of Excellence, Bedford VA Medical Center, Massachusetts 01730, USA
Med Care 40:I72-85. 2002....
- Agreement between administrative data and patients' self-reports of race/ethnicityNancy R Kressin
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes and Economic Research a Veterans Affairs Health Services Research and Development National Center of Excellence, Bedford VA Medical Center, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Am J Public Health 93:1734-9. 2003..We examined agreement of administrative data with self-reported race/ethnicity and identified correlates of agreement...
- Stress management versus lifestyle modification on systolic hypertension and medication elimination: a randomized trialJeffery A Dusek
Benson Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Altern Complement Med 14:129-38. 2008..2-15.9, p=0.03). Although both groups had similar reductions in SBP, significantly more participants in the relaxation response group eliminated an antihypertensive medication while maintaining adequate blood pressure control...
- End-of-life spiritual care at a VA medical center: chaplains' perspectivesBei Hung Chang
VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, Massachusetts
Palliat Support Care 10:273-8. 2012..The purpose of this study is to explain the process and content of spiritual care provided in a VA Medical Center from chaplains' perspectives...
- Relaxation response induces temporal transcriptome changes in energy metabolism, insulin secretion and inflammatory pathwaysManoj K Bhasin
Benson Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e62817. 2013..Mitochondrial resiliency might also be promoted by RR-induced downregulation of NF-κB-associated upstream and downstream targets that mitigates stress...
- Racial differences in cardiac catheterization as a function of patients' beliefsNancy R Kressin
Center for Health Quality, Outcomes and Economic Research, Bedford Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Bedford, MA 01730, USA
Am J Public Health 94:2091-7. 2004..We examined racial differences in cardiac catheterization rates and reviewed whether patients' beliefs or other variables were associated with observed disparities...
- Acupuncture and relaxation response for craving and anxiety reduction among military veterans in recovery from substance use disorderBei Hung Chang
VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, Massachusetts Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts
Am J Addict 23:129-36. 2014..Our current analysis examines effects following each intervention session and RR daily practice...
- Mental health and quality of life among veterans employed as peer and vocational rehabilitation specialistsSusan V Eisen
Dr Eisen, Dr Schultz, and Dr Clark are with the Center for Healthcare Organization and Implementation Research, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital, Bedford, Massachusetts, and Dr Eisen and Dr Clark are also with the Department of Health Policy and Management, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston e mail Dr Mueller is with the Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center MIRECC, Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital Dr Chang is with the U S Department of Veterans Affairs VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, and the Department of Quantitative Health Sciences, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester Dr Resnick is with the MIRECC, VA New England Healthcare System, West Haven, Connecticut, and the Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut Some of the results reported in this article were presented at the Academy Health Annual Meeting, Baltimore, June 23 25, 2013
Psychiatr Serv 66:381-8. 2015..S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the VR specialists under the Homeless Veterans Supported Employment Program. Employment characteristics associated with mental health recovery were examined...
- Potentially inappropriate prescribing in elderly veterans: are we using the wrong drug, wrong dose, or wrong duration?Mary Jo V Pugh
Veterans Evidence Based Research Dissemination and Implementation Center, Audie L Murphy Division South Texas Veterans Health Care System, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:1282-9. 2005....
- Association between oxygen consumption and nitric oxide production during the relaxation responseJeffery A Dusek
Mind Body Medical Institute, 824 Boylston Street, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467, USA
Med Sci Monit 12:CR1-10. 2006..We evaluated whether depth of RR elicitation was correlated with changes in NO, as measured by percentage changes in fractional exhaled nitric oxide (F(E)NO)...
- Relaxation response with acupuncture for HIV patientsBei Hung Chang; Fiscal Year: 2004....