Howard J Cabral
Affiliation: Boston University
- Single-change items did not measure change in quality of lifeAdam J Rose
Department of Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health, Boston University, Boston, MA, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 61:603-8. 2008....
- Adhesive strips versus subcuticular suture for mediansternotomy wound closureHarold L Lazar
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Boston Medical Center and the Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
J Card Surg 26:344-7. 2011....
- Family history of later-onset breast cancer, breast healthy behavior and invasive breast cancer among postmenopausal women: a cohort studyRobert Gramling
Department of Family Medicine, University of Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Breast Cancer Res 12:R82. 2010....
- Effect of high parity on occurrence of anemia in pregnancy: a cohort studyYahya M Al-Farsi
Department of Family Medicine and Public Health, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, Sultan Qaboos University, Oman
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 11:7. 2011..The authors' aim in conducting this study was to overcome this methodological concern...
- Performance of mixed effects models in the analysis of mediated longitudinal dataEmily A Blood
Department of Biostatistics, Boston University School of Public Health, 715 Albany Street Crosstown Center 3rd Floor Boston, MA 02118, USA
BMC Med Res Methodol 10:16. 2010..e. direct and indirect) of an exposure on an outcome of interest when a mediating factor is present. Our aim is to explore whether the LMM performs as well as the SEM in a setting that is conducive to using the SEM...
- Migraine, fibromyalgia, and depression among people with IBS: a prevalence studyJ Alexander Cole
Department of Epidemiology, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston MA, USA
BMC Gastroenterol 6:26. 2006..Case descriptions suggest IBS patients are more likely to have other disorders, including migraine, fibromyalgia, and depression. We sought to examine the prevalence of these conditions in cohorts of people with and without IBS...
- Multiple comparisons proceduresHoward J Cabral
Department of Biostatistics, Boston University School of Public Health, 715 Albany St, Crosstown Center, 3rd Floor, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Circulation 117:698-701. 2008
- Outreach program contacts: do they increase the likelihood of engagement and retention in HIV primary care for hard-to-reach patients?Howard J Cabral
Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 21:S59-67. 2007..This finding remained after controlling for baseline CD4 count. These findings can be used to improve the effectiveness of programs to increase engagement and retention in HIV primary care among the hard-to-reach...
- Are there effects of intrauterine cocaine exposure on delinquency during early adolescence? A preliminary reportJessie Gerteis
Data Coordinating Center, Boston University School of Public Health, MA 02118, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 32:393-401. 2011..To ascertain whether level of intrauterine cocaine exposure (IUCE) is associated with early adolescent delinquent behavior, after accounting for prenatal exposures to other psychoactive substances and relevant psychosocial factors...
- Trust in Nurses Scale: construct validity and internal reliability evaluationLaurel E Radwin
Institute for Patient Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
J Adv Nurs 66:683-9. 2010..This paper is a report of the continued psychometric evaluation of the Trust in Nurses Scale...
- Early adolescent executive functioning, intrauterine exposures and own drug useRuth Rose-Jacobs
Department of Pediatrics, Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, 88 East Newton Street, Boston, MA 02118, United States
Neurotoxicol Teratol 33:379-92. 2011....
- Are components of the medical home differentially associated with child health care utilization, health, and health promoting behavior outcomes?Webb E Long
Division of General Pediatrics, Department of Pediatrics, Boston Medical Center Boston University School of Medicine, 88 East Newton Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 52:423-32. 2013..To determine if specific components of the medical home are differentially associated with beneficial child outcomes...
- Intrapulmonary percussive ventilation vs incentive spirometry for children with neuromuscular diseaseChristine Campbell Reardon
Pulmonary Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 159:526-31. 2005..Anecdotal reports and pilot studies show its safety and effectiveness in mobilizing secretions in patients with cystic fibrosis...
- Visual association pathology in preclinical Alzheimer diseaseAnn C McKee
Department of Neurology and Pathology, Boston University School of Medicine, Bedford Veterans Administration Medical Center, MA 01730, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 65:621-30. 2006..Dense AD pathology in area 19 is present in some cognitively intact subjects with preclinical AD. The unique metabolic, connectional, and vascular features of this region may confer enhanced vulnerability to neurodegeneration...
- Maternal outcomes associated with planned primary cesarean births compared with planned vaginal birthsEugene Declercq
Department of Maternal and Child Health, Department of Biostatistics, Data Coordinating Center, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
Obstet Gynecol 109:669-77. 2007..To compare the outcomes and costs associated with primary cesarean births with no labor (planned cesareans) to vaginal and cesarean births with labor (planned vaginal)...
- Yoga Asana sessions increase brain GABA levels: a pilot studyChris C Streeter
Division of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Altern Complement Med 13:419-26. 2007..It was hypothesized that an individual yoga session would be associated with an increase in brain GABA levels...
- Evaluation results from an active living intervention in Somerville, MassachusettsVirginia R Chomitz
Department of Public Health and Community Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Am J Prev Med 43:S367-78. 2012..Somerville MA implemented an Active Living by Design project in 2003-2008 that promoted partnerships and advocacy to encourage physical activity...
- A protocol for capturing daily variability in nursing careLaurel E Radwin
Institute for Patient Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Nurs Econ 28:95-105. 2010..Through information derived from applying this protocol, staffing decisions can be made to assure the right mix of nurses is available, not just the right number...
- Relationships between patient-centered cancer nursing interventions and desired health outcomes in the context of the health care systemLaurel E Radwin
Institute for Patient Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Res Nurs Health 32:4-17. 2009..Patient-centeredness of care for cancer patients may be enhanced by quality improvement activities that measure and monitor these PCNIs and resultant outcomes...
- The Framingham Brain Donation Program: neuropathology along the cognitive continuumRhoda Au
Department of Neurology, Boston University School of Medicine, 715 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Curr Alzheimer Res 9:673-86. 2012..We observed that an aggregate ischemic injury score was significantly higher in persons with a CDR score of 0.5 than in normal controls...
- Sexual risk behavior and behavior change among persons newly diagnosed with HIV: the impact of targeted outreach interventions among hard-to-reach populationsSharon M Coleman
Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02118, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 23:639-45. 2009..20). Substantial risk exists for secondary HIV transmission; this study shows the promise of a supplemental intervention to ensure access to HIV care, retention in care, and risk reduction for positives...
- Antihypertensive drugs and the risk of congenital anomaliesCatherine Vasilakis-Scaramozza
Department of Epidemiology, Boston University School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Pharmacotherapy 33:476-82. 2013..To estimate the prevalence of congenital anomalies among the offspring of women exposed and unexposed to antihypertensive drugs during early pregnancy...
- The value of the medical home for children without special health care needsWebb E Long
Department of Pediatrics, Boston University School of Medicine Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Pediatrics 129:87-98. 2012..We examined whether the medical home is associated with beneficial health care utilization and health-promoting behaviors in this population...
- Expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase in conduits used in patients with diabetes mellitus undergoing coronary revascularizationHarold L Lazar
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Boston University School of Medicine, The Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Card Surg 25:120-6. 2010....
- Comparison of diabetes control among Haitians, African Americans, and non-Hispanic whites in an urban safety-net hospitalVarsha G Vimalananda
Department of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition, Boston Medical Center, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes Care 34:58-60. 2011..To compare diabetes care and outcomes among Haitians, African Americans, and non-Hispanic whites...
- Adolescent initiation of licit and illicit substance use: Impact of intrauterine exposures and post-natal exposure to violenceDeborah A Frank
Department of Pediatrics, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston Medical Center, 725 Massachusetts Avenue, Mezzanine SW, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 33:100-9. 2011..Time-dependent higher levels of exposure to violence between ages of 8 and 16 were also robustly associated with initiation of any licit or illicit substance, and of marijuana, and alcohol particularly...
- Socioemotional effects of fathers' incarceration on low-income, urban, school-aged childrenMaryAnn B Wilbur
Department of Pediatrics, Boston Medical Center, 725 Massachusetts Ave, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Pediatrics 120:e678-85. 2007..The goal was to evaluate whether children of incarcerated fathers are more likely to report or exhibit behavioral symptoms than their equally disadvantaged peers without an incarcerated father...
- Volumetric MRI study of brain in children with intrauterine exposure to cocaine, alcohol, tobacco, and marijuanaMichael J Rivkin
Developmental Neuroimaging Laboratory, Department of Neurology, Childrens Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Pavilion 154, 300 Longwood Ave, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Pediatrics 121:741-50. 2008..The objective of this study was to use volumetric MRI to study brain volumes in 10- to 14-year-old children with and without intrauterine exposure to cocaine, alcohol, cigarettes, or marijuana...
- Suicidal ideation among urban nine and ten year oldsCatherine C O'Leary
Department of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 27:33-9. 2006..Suicidal ideation may be more prevalent among preadolescents from urban, low-income backgrounds than clinicians suspect, particularly among children exposed to violence...
- The body-mass index, airflow obstruction, dyspnea, and exercise capacity index in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseBartolome R Celli
COPD Center at St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02135, USA
N Engl J Med 350:1005-12. 2004..We hypothesized that a multidimensional grading system that assessed the respiratory and systemic expressions of COPD would better categorize and predict outcome in these patients...
- Health services utilization for people with HIV infection: comparison of a population targeted for outreach with the U.S. population in careWilliam E Cunningham
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, Department of Medicine, UCLA, Los Angeles, California 90095, USA
Med Care 44:1038-47. 2006..However, these hard-to-reach groups are important to study because they may be in greatest need of services...
- Mental health of Somali adolescent refugees: the role of trauma, stress, and perceived discriminationB Heidi Ellis
Department of Psychiatry, Children s Hospital Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 76:184-93. 2008..Further research elucidating the relations between post-resettlement stressors, discrimination, and mental health of refugee adolescents may inform intervention development...
- Irritable bowel syndrome and hysterectomy: a sequence symmetry analysisJ Alexander Cole
Epidemiology 18:837-8. 2007
- Pre-natal exposures to cocaine and alcohol and physical growth patterns to age 8 yearsJulie C Lumeng
Center for Human Growth and Development, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 29:446-57. 2007....