Hanna E Bloomfield
- Meta-analysis: effect of patient self-testing and self-management of long-term anticoagulation on major clinical outcomesHanna E Bloomfield
Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Health Care System, One Veteran s Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Ann Intern Med 154:472-82. 2011..Anticoagulation with vitamin K antagonists reduces major thromboembolic complications in at-risk patients. With portable monitoring devices, patients can conduct their own international normalized ratio testing and dose adjustment at home...
- Efficacy of N-acetylcysteine in preventing renal injury after heart surgery: a systematic review of randomized trialsA Selcuk Adabag
Division of Cardiology 111 C, Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, The Minneapolis VA Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research, and the University of Minnesota, One Veterans Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Eur Heart J 30:1910-7. 2009..The aim of this study was to assess whether perioperative N-acetylcysteine (NAC), an antioxidant, prevents acute renal injury (ARI) after cardiac surgery...
- Efficacy of gemfibrozil in the primary prevention of atrial fibrillation in a large randomized controlled trialA Selcuk Adabag
Division of Cardiology, Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Am Heart J 157:913-8. 2009..The objective of this study was to investigate whether the PPARalpha activator gemfibrozil prevents or delays the development of AF in patients with coronary heart disease...
- Utility of N-acetylcysteine to prevent acute kidney injury after cardiac surgery: a randomized controlled trialA Selcuk Adabag
Division of Cardiology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Am Heart J 155:1143-9. 2008..gov identifier NCT00211653)...
- Dose dependent effect of statins on postoperative atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery among patients treated with beta blockersSalima Mithani
Department of Internal Medicine, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Veterans Drive, Minneapolis 55417, USA
J Cardiothorac Surg 4:61. 2009..Whether statins prevent AF in patients treated with postoperative beta blockers and whether the statin-effect is dose related are unknown...
- Long term clinical trials: how much information do participants retain from the informed consent process?Joan M Griffin
Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research, Minneapolis VA Medical Center, MN, USA
Contemp Clin Trials 27:441-8. 2006..Implementing effective strategies, such as additional time and effort for consent or repetition of study information, may be necessary in order to assure ethical and valid consent...
- Pulse versus continuous terbinafine for onychomycosis: a randomized, double-blind, controlled trialErin M Warshaw
Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 53:578-84. 2005..Previous studies suggest that less costly, pulsed doses of antifungal medications may be as effective as standard, continuous doses. Terbinafine is the current treatment of choice for toenail onychomycosis...
- Screening electronic veterans' health records for medication discontinuationThomas S Rector
VA Health Care System, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Am J Manag Care 18:352-8. 2012..Determine the viable yield of screening electronic Veterans Health Administration (VHA) records to identify patients who stop taking a long-term medication for reasons that might be addressed by healthcare providers...
- Effects of statin therapy on preventing atrial fibrillation in coronary disease and heart failureA Selcuk Adabag
Division of Cardiology and Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN 55417, USA
Am Heart J 154:1140-5. 2007..We hypothesized that statin use will reduce incident atrial fibrillation (AF) in patients with coronary heart disease (CHD), including those with CHF...
- Relation of heart rate parameters during exercise test to sudden death and all-cause mortality in asymptomatic menA Selcuk Adabag
Division of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Am J Cardiol 101:1437-43. 2008..In conclusion, middle-aged men without clinical CHD who stopped exercise before reaching 85% of maximal HR had a higher risk of sudden death. Other exercise HR parameters and exercise duration predicted all-cause mortality...
- Effectiveness of statin therapy in adults with coronary heart diseaseTimothy J Wilt
Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research, Minneapolis VA Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minn 55417, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:1427-36. 2004....
- A conceptual framework for understanding and reducing overuse by primary care providersAdam A Powell
1Center for Chronic Disease Outcomes Research, Minneapolis VA Health Care System, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Med Care Res Rev 70:451-72. 2013..Interventions that have been commonly used to address provider overuse behavior are reviewed within the context of the framework. ..
- Disease management program for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized controlled trialKathryn L Rice
Pulmonary Section, Department of Medicine, VA Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182:890-6. 2010..Objectives: To determine whether a simplified disease management program reduces hospital admissions and emergency department (ED) visits due to COPD...
- Prognostic significance of elevated cardiac troponin I after heart surgeryA Selcuk Adabag
Division of Cardiology, Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 83:1744-50. 2007....