Joan Cox Gill
Affiliation: Blood Research Institute
- von Willebrand factor/factor VIII concentrate (Humate-P) for management of elective surgery in adults and children with von Willebrand diseaseJ C Gill
Comprehensive Center for Bleeding Disorders, Blood Center of Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Haemophilia 17:895-905. 2011..The results indicate that this VWF/FVIII concentrate is safe and effective in the prevention of excessive bleeding during and after surgery in individuals with VWD...
- Treatment of urgent bleeding in von Willebrand diseaseJoan Cox Gill
Medical College of Wisconsin, Blood Center of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53226, USA
Thromb Res 120:S21-5. 2007..In this article, specific approaches to the choice of treatment modalities, calculation of dosages, monitoring of therapy, possible side effects and complications of the treatment of the various types of VWD will be discussed...
- No increase in bleeding identified in type 1 VWD subjects with D1472H sequence variationVeronica H Flood
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Hematology Oncology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
Blood 121:3742-4. 2013..These results suggest that the presence of the D1472H sequence variation is not associated with a significant increase in bleeding symptoms, even in type 1 VWD subjects...
- VWF mutations and new sequence variations identified in healthy controls are more frequent in the African-American populationDaniel B Bellissimo
Blood Research Institute, BloodCenter of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Blood 119:2135-40. 2012..This study emphasizes the importance of sequencing healthy controls to understand ethnic-specific sequence variations so that asymptomatic sequence variations are not misidentified as mutations in other ethnic or racial groups...
- Gain-of-function GPIb ELISA assay for VWF activity in the Zimmerman Program for the Molecular and Clinical Biology of VWDVeronica H Flood
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Hematology Oncology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Blood 117:e67-74. 2011..The VWF:IbCo ELISA, however, was not affected by D1472H. The VWF:IbCo ELISA may be useful in testing VWF binding to GPIb, discrimination of type 2 variants, and in the diagnosis of VWD as it avoids some of the pitfalls of VWF:RCo assays...
- Collagen binding provides a sensitive screen for variant von Willebrand diseaseVeronica H Flood
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Clin Chem 59:684-91. 2013..A comparison of VWF collagen binding (VWF:CB) and VWF multimer distribution was performed to evaluate the utility of VWF:CB as a diagnostic test...
- Assay of the von Willebrand factor (VWF) propeptide to identify patients with type 1 von Willebrand disease with decreased VWF survivalSandra L Haberichter
Department of Pediatrics Hematology Oncology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Rd, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Blood 108:3344-51. 2006..This phenotype may require an altered clinical therapeutic approach, and we propose to refer to this phenotype as type-1C VWD...
- Von Willebrand disease in the United States: a perspective from WisconsinVeronica H Flood
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, Medical College of Wisconsin, Wisconsin 53201 2178, USA
Semin Thromb Hemost 37:528-34. 2011..Results so far have shown that VWF gene polymorphisms are common, particularly in African Americans, and may affect laboratory assays of VWF function...
- Intersection of mechanisms of type 2A VWD through defects in VWF multimerization, secretion, ADAMTS-13 susceptibility, and regulated storagePaula M Jacobi
Blood Research Institute, BloodCenter of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA
Blood 119:4543-53. 2012....
- Common VWF exon 28 polymorphisms in African Americans affecting the VWF activity assay by ristocetin cofactorVeronica H Flood
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Hematology Oncology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA
Blood 116:280-6. 2010..Because the VWF:RCo assay depends on ristocetin binding to VWF, mutations (and polymorphisms) in VWF may affect the measurement of "VWF activity" by this assay and may not reflect a functional defect or true hemorrhagic risk...
- Genetic mutations in von Willebrand disease identified by DHPLC and DNA sequence analysisJustin K Kakela
BloodCenter of Wisconsin, 638 N 18th Street, P O Box 2178, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA
Mol Genet Metab 87:262-71. 2006..This DHPLC and DNA sequencing technique will enable the full length assessment of the VWF gene necessary to detect mutations causing types 1 and 3 VWD...
- Evaluation of high concentration intranasal and intravenous desmopressin in pediatric patients with mild hemophilia A or mild-to-moderate type 1 von Willebrand diseaseJoan Cox Gill
Blood Center of Southeastern Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, 53201 2178, USA
J Pediatr 140:595-9. 2002..5 mg/mL, in patients weighing < or = 50 kg with mild hemophilia A or mild type 1 von Willebrand disease (VWD)...
- Preventing excessive bleeding in patients with von Willebrand diseaseJoan Cox Gill
Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 4:207-9. 2006