Genomes and Genes
Linda C Burkly
Affiliation: Biogen Idec
- Disruption of hedgehog signaling reveals a novel role in intestinal morphogenesis and intestinal-specific lipid metabolism in miceLi Chun Wang
Department of Exploratory Science, Biogen Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
Gastroenterology 122:469-82. 2002..The hedgehog (hh) signaling pathway has been shown to play crucial roles in the development of embryonic gut. However, its role in intestinal development and function beyond the embryonic stage is still undefined...
- TWEAK, via its receptor Fn14, is a novel regulator of mesenchymal progenitor cells and skeletal muscle regenerationMahasweta Girgenrath
Boston Biomedical Research Institute, Watertown, MA, USA
EMBO J 25:5826-39. 2006....
- The 14th International TNF Conference, Québec City, Canada - Des Progrės Récents aux Défis Futurs (Recent Advances toward Future Challenges)Linda Burkly
Department of Immunology, Biogen Idec, Cambridge, MA, USA Electronic address
Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 25:77-81. 2014..We await with anticipation the next (15th) International TNF Conference to be held May 20-23rd, 2015 in Ghent, Belgium. Until then, À Bientôt!. ..
- The TWEAK/Fn14 pathway as an aggravating and perpetuating factor in inflammatory diseases: focus on inflammatory bowel diseasesTaeko Dohi
Department of Gastroenterology, Research Center for Hepatitis and Immunology, Research Institute, National Center for Global Health and Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
J Leukoc Biol 92:265-79. 2012....
- Urinary TWEAK as a biomarker of lupus nephritis: a multicenter cohort studyNoa Schwartz
Division of Rheumatology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Arthritis Res Ther 11:R143. 2009..Evidence for the importance of TWEAK in the pathogenesis of lupus nephritis (LN) has been recently introduced. Thus, TWEAK levels may serve as an indication of LN presence and activity...
- TWEAK/Fn14 pathway: an immunological switch for shaping tissue responsesLinda C Burkly
Immunology Discovery Research, Biogen Idec, Inc, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Immunol Rev 244:99-114. 2011..Whereas transient TWEAK/Fn14 activation promotes productive tissue responses after injury, excessive or persistent TWEAK/Fn14 activation drives pathological tissue responses, leading to progressive damage and degeneration...
- TWEAKing tissue remodeling by a multifunctional cytokine: role of TWEAK/Fn14 pathway in health and diseaseLinda C Burkly
Department of Immunobiology, Biogen Idec, 12 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Cytokine 40:1-16. 2007..In addition to a perspective of the biology, we discuss potential therapeutic strategies targeting this pathway for the treatment of tissue injury, chronic inflammatory diseases and cancer...
- TWEAK induces liver progenitor cell proliferationAniela Jakubowski
Department of Exploratory Science, Biogen Idec Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
J Clin Invest 115:2330-40. 2005..We conclude that TWEAK has a selective mitogenic effect for liver oval cells that distinguishes it from other previously described growth factors...
- Tweak induces mammary epithelial branching morphogenesisJennifer S Michaelson
Department of Exploratory Science, Biogen Idec, 12 Cambridge Center, Bio6 320, Cambridge MA, USA
Oncogene 24:2613-24. 2005..Together, our results suggest that the Tweak/Fn14 pathway may be protumorigenic in human breast cancer...
- No end in site: TWEAK/Fn14 activation and autoimmunity associated- end-organ pathologiesTimothy S Zheng
R and D Immunology, Biogen Idec, Inc, 14 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
J Leukoc Biol 84:338-47. 2008..The highly specific and localized nature of its pathogenic contribution, therefore, makes the TWEAK/Fn14 pathway a unique and promising therapeutic target...
- TNF-like weak inducer of apoptosis (TWEAK) promotes beta cell neogenesis from pancreatic ductal epithelium in adult miceFei Wu
Department of Immunobiology, Biogen Idec, Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e72132. 2013..Here we test whether the TNF family member TWEAK (TNF-like weak inducer of apoptosis) promotes β-cell neogenesis from proliferating pancreatic ductal epithelium in adult mice...
- TWEAK is a novel arthritogenic mediatorStuart J Perper
Exploratory Sciences, Biogen Idec Inc, 14 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
J Immunol 177:2610-20. 2006....
- TL1A-DR3 interaction regulates Th17 cell function and Th17-mediated autoimmune diseaseBhanu P Pappu
Department of Immunology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Exp Med 205:1049-62. 2008..These observations thus establish an important role of the TL1A-DR3 pathway in promoting Th17 cell function and Th17-mediated autoimmune disease...
- Development of an Fn14 agonistic antibody as an anti-tumor agentJennifer S Michaelson
Molecular Discovery, Biogen Idec, 12 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA, USA
MAbs 3:362-75. 2011..Taken together, the anti-tumor properties of BIIB036 validate Fn14 as a promising target in oncology and demonstrate its potential therapeutic utility in multiple solid tumor indications...
- Therapeutic targeting of TWEAK/Fnl4 in cancer: exploiting the intrinsic tumor cell killing capacity of the pathwayJennifer S Michaelson
Biogen Idec, 12 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Results Probl Cell Differ 49:145-60. 2009....
- Role of TWEAK in lupus nephritis: a bench-to-bedside reviewJennifer S Michaelson
Immunology Discovery Biology, Biogen Idec, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
J Autoimmun 39:130-42. 2012..Taken together, targeting the TWEAK/Fn14 axis represents a potential new therapeutic paradigm for achieving renal protection in LN patients...
- PGC1α plays a critical role in TWEAK-induced cardiac dysfunctionJianru Shi
Cardiac Muscle Research Laboratory, Cardiovascular Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e54054. 2013..The molecular mechanisms underlying TWEAK-induced cardiac pathology, however, remain unknown...
- Anti-alpha4 integrin monoclonal antibody inhibits multiple myeloma growth in a murine modelDian L Olson
Biogen Idec, 14 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 4:91-9. 2005..The ability of the (VLA-4) mAb to affect multiple variables in this model, even as monotherapy, suggests this pathway plays a central role in disease progression...
- Dual role for TWEAK in angiogenic regulationAniela Jakubowski
Department of Exploratory Science, Biogen Inc, 12 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
J Cell Sci 115:267-74. 2002..Thus, our observations suggest that TWEAK may differentially regulate microvascular growth, remodeling and/or maintenance in vivo, depending upon the angiogenic context...
- Identification of a new murine tumor necrosis factor receptor locus that contains two novel murine receptors for tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL)Pascal Schneider
Department of Exploratory Sciences, Biogen, Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, USA
J Biol Chem 278:5444-54. 2003....
- The contribution of Fc effector mechanisms in the efficacy of anti-CD154 immunotherapy depends on the nature of the immune challengeJanine L Ferrant
Biogen Idec, Inc, 14 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA, USA
Int Immunol 16:1583-94. 2004..Thus, the mechanisms required for efficacy of anti-CD154 mAbs depend on the nature of the immune challenge...
- Humanized anti-CD154 antibody therapy for the treatment of allograft rejection in nonhuman primatesHe Xu
The NIDDK Navy Transplantation and Autoimmunity Branch, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Transplantation 74:940-3. 2002..Hu5C8 effectively reverses acute but not chronic allograft rejection and appears to have no synergistic effect with conventional rescue agents...
- Combination induction therapy with monoclonal antibodies specific for CD80, CD86, and CD154 in nonhuman primate renal transplantationSean P Montgomery
The Department of Surgery, Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Transplantation 74:1365-9. 2002....
- TNF superfamily member TWEAK exacerbates inflammation and demyelination in the cuprizone-induced modelHeather A Iocca
Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7295, United States
J Neuroimmunol 194:97-106. 2008..Thus, this study identifies a primary role of TWEAK in promoting neuroinflammation and exacerbating demyelination during cuprizone-induced damage...
- FcR interactions do not play a major role in inhibition of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by anti-CD154 monoclonal antibodiesLex Nagelkerken
Division of Immunological and Infectious Diseases, The Netherlands Organization for Applied Scientific Research TNO, Prevention and Health, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Immunol 173:993-9. 2004..It is concluded that FcR interactions do not play a major role in the protective effect of anti-CD154 mAb in the context of EAE, though they may contribute to the full abrogation of peripheral peptide-specific lymphocyte responses...
- Proinflammatory effects of TWEAK/Fn14 interactions in glomerular mesangial cellsSean Campbell
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Immunol 176:1889-98. 2006..Our results support Ab inhibition of TWEAK as a potential new approach for the treatment of chemokine-dependent inflammatory kidney diseases...
- Increased fibroblast growth factor-inducible 14 expression levels promote glioma cell invasion via Rac1 and nuclear factor-kappaB and correlate with poor patient outcomeNhan L Tran
Cancer and Cell Biology Division, Translational Genomics Research Institute, Phoenix, AZ 85004, USA
Cancer Res 66:9535-42. 2006..Such a feedback loop argues for aggressive targeting of the Fn14 axis as a unique and specific driver of glioma malignant behavior...
- Effects of combined treatment with CD25- and CD154-specific monoclonal antibodies in non-human primate allotransplantationHe Xu
Transplantation and Autoimmunity Branch, National Institute of Diabetes, Digestive and Kidney Disease, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Am J Transplant 3:1350-4. 2003..Although daclizumab and hu5c8 are additively effective in MLR, they do not appear to be synergistic in vivo in rhesus monkeys...
- Age-dependent effects of TWEAK/Fn14 receptor activation on neural progenitor cellsC A Hamill
Department of Neurology, Northwestern University Medical School, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Neurosci Res 85:3535-44. 2007..These studies indicate that TWEAK/Fn14 receptor activation exerts different effects on neural progenitor cells and their progeny depending on the developmental stage of the cells...
- TWEAK/Fn14 interactions are instrumental in the pathogenesis of nephritis in the chronic graft-versus-host model of systemic lupus erythematosusZeguo Zhao
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Immunol 179:7949-58. 2007..Thus, TWEAK blockade may be a novel therapeutic approach to reduce renal damage in SLE...
- Urinary TWEAK and the activity of lupus nephritisNoa Schwartz
Division of Rheumatology, Forchheimer 701N, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
J Autoimmun 27:242-50. 2006..An accurate, non-invasive method to repeatedly assess kidney disease in lupus would be very helpful in managing these often challenging patients. Our study indicates that urinary TWEAK levels may be useful as a novel biomarker in LN...
- Increased apoptosis and accelerated epithelial migration following inhibition of hedgehog signaling in adaptive small bowel postresectionYuzhu Tang
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, MO 63110, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G1280-8. 2006..These data indicate that Hh signaling plays a role in adult gut epithelial homeostasis by regulating epithelial cell migration from crypt to villus tip and by enhancing apoptosis...
- Inhibition of Hedgehog signaling protects adult mice from diet-induced weight gainKimberly K Buhman
Department of Internal Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Nutr 134:2979-84. 2004..These findings point to a potential role for Hh signaling pathways in diet-induced abnormalities of lipid metabolism...