Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Health insurance benefit design and healthcare utilization in northern rural ChinaHong Wang
Department of Health Policy and Administration, School of Public Health, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e50395. 2012..Accordingly, we sought to examine the impact of health insurance benefit design on health care utilization...
- An experiment in payment reform for doctors in rural China reduced some unnecessary care but did not lower total costsHong Wang
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Seattle, Washington, USA
Health Aff (Millwood) 30:2427-36. 2011..As a result, total health care spending was not significantly reduced. The findings underscore that policy makers should design payment methods carefully to both contain costs and improve quality...
- Tumor microenvironment-derived proteins dominate the plasma proteome response during breast cancer induction and progressionSharon J Pitteri
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Cancer Res 71:5090-100. 2011..Our findings offer an integrated view of tumor development relevant to plasma-based strategies to detect and diagnose cancer...
- Patient experiences with inpatient care in rural ChinaHeather Sipsma
Department of Health Policy and Administration, School of Public Health, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
Int J Qual Health Care 25:452-8. 2013..To describe patient experiences with hospital inpatient care among participants living in rural China and to examine their associations with sociodemographic characteristics, hospital type and province...
- Proteomic profiling of the autoimmune response to breast cancer antigens uncovers a suppressive effect of hormone therapyTimothy Chao
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
Proteomics Clin Appl 7:327-36. 2013..We previously reported a substantial impact of hormone therapy (HT) on the proteome. Here, we investigated the effect of HT on the immune response toward breast tumor antigens...
- Detection of elevated plasma levels of epidermal growth factor receptor before breast cancer diagnosis among hormone therapy usersSharon J Pitteri
Division of Public Health Sciences, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109 1024, USA
Cancer Res 70:8598-606. 2010..Further studies are warranted to examine the role of EGFR and to discover and validate other proteins that could potentially be used for early detection of breast cancer...
- Plasma proteome profiles associated with inflammation, angiogenesis, and cancerKaren S Kelly-Spratt
Division of Human Biology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e19721. 2011..This approach provides a basis for distinguishing between protein changes in plasma that are cancer-related and those that are part of a non-specific host response...
- Community-based health insurance in poor rural China: the distribution of net benefitsHong Wang
Global Health Division, Yale University School of Public Health, 60 College Street, Suite 315, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Health Policy Plan 20:366-74. 2005..In conclusion, policy recommendations related to the improvement of the benefit distribution of CBI schemes are made based on the results from this study...
- Quantitative serum proteomics using dual stable isotope coding and nano LC-MS/MSMSHong Wang
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
J Proteome Res 8:5412-22. 2009..e., Cysteine acrylamide labeling only). In contrast, using same criteria for identification, a total 185 proteins were identified and 174 proteins were quantified using the DSIC labeling technique...
- The impact of rural mutual health care on health status: evaluation of a social experiment in rural ChinaHong Wang
Global Health Division, Yale University School of Public Health, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Health Econ 18:S65-82. 2009..Our study provides useful policy information on the development of health insurance in developing countries, and also identifies areas where further research is needed...
- Integrated mass spectrometry-based analysis of plasma glycoproteins and their glycan modificationsHong Wang
Molecular Diagnostics Program, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington, USA
Nat Protoc 6:253-69. 2011..Both peptide and oligosaccharide compositions are revealed by analysis of the ion fragmentation patterns of glycopeptides with an intact glycopeptide analysis pipeline...
- Activity, energy intake, obesity, and the risk of incident kidney stones in postmenopausal women: a report from the Women's Health InitiativeMathew D Sorensen
Division of Urology, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Department of Urology, Urological Research Outcomes Collaboration, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington
J Am Soc Nephrol 25:362-9. 2014..Higher caloric intake further increases the risk of incident stones. ..
- Integrated proteomic analysis of human cancer cells and plasma from tumor bearing mice for ovarian cancer biomarker discoverySharon J Pitteri
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e7916. 2009..The goal of this work is to evaluate the utility of an integrative strategy using these two approaches for biomarker discovery...
- Targets of the tumor suppressor miR-200 in regulation of the epithelial-mesenchymal transition in cancerMark J Schliekelman
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
Cancer Res 71:7670-82. 2011..Lastly, we identified ECM proteins and peptidases that were directly regulated by miR-200. Taken together, our results reveal how expression of miR-200 alters the tumor microenvironment to inhibit the processes of EMT and metastasis...
- Increased plasma levels of the APC-interacting protein MAPRE1, LRG1, and IGFBP2 preceding a diagnosis of colorectal cancer in womenJon J Ladd
Molecular Diagnostics Program, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, 1100 Fairview Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 5:655-64. 2012..A panel consisting of CEA, MAPRE1, IGFBP2, and LRG1 has predictive value in prediagnostic CRC plasmas...
- Ill health and its potential influence on household consumptions in rural ChinaHong Wang
Yale University School of Public Health, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Health Policy 78:167-77. 2006..In addition, the decline of the percentages of other consumptions is much larger for households with hospitalization than for households with chronic diseases...
- Proteomic global profiling for cancer biomarker discoveryVitor Faca
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA, USA
Methods Mol Biol 492:309-20. 2009..Approaches for in-depth quantitative proteomic analysis based on isotopic labeling and protein fractionation are presented in this chapter...
- Tobacco control in China: the dilemma between economic development and health improvementHong Wang
Yale School of Public Health, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Salud Publica Mex 48:S140-7. 2006..Although China has already made significant efforts with regard to tobacco control, it is still in the beginning of its "long march" towards improving the population's health status by reducing tobacco consumption in China...
- Markers of inflammation, metabolic risk factors, and incident heart failure in American Indians: the Strong Heart StudyAna Barac
Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC 20010, USA
J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 14:13-9. 2012..These associations are attenuated by the adjustments for conventional risk factors suggesting that inflammation acts in concert with metabolic and clinical risk factors in increasing HF risk...
- Estimated GFR and incident cardiovascular disease events in American Indians: the Strong Heart StudyNawar M Shara
MedStar Health Research Institute, Hyattsville, MD 20782, USA
Am J Kidney Dis 60:795-803. 2012....
- The impact of tobacco expenditure on household consumption patterns in rural ChinaHong Wang
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, 60 College Street, Suite 315, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Soc Sci Med 62:1414-26. 2006..Smoking expenses can harm other family members by reducing expenditures on basic needs such as foods, utilities, and durable goods consumption. Thus smoking can have important intra-family distributional impacts...
- Regulation of mitochondrial biogenesis by lipoprotein lipase in muscle of insulin-resistant offspring of parents with type 2 diabetesKatsutaro Morino
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Diabetes 61:877-87. 2012..Taken together, these data suggest that decreased mitochondrial content in muscle of IR offspring may be due in part to reductions in LPL expression in skeletal muscle resulting in decreased PPAR-δ activation...
- EEG screening for temporal lobe epilepsy in patients with acute psychosisJillian E Raybould
Dept of Neurology, Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC, USA
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 24:452-7. 2012..These findings do not support routine use of EEG in patients presenting with acute psychosis...
- Willingness to pay for reducing fatal risk by improving air quality: a contingent valuation study in Chongqing, ChinaHong Wang
Global Health Division, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University, 60 College Street, Suite 315, P O Box 208034, New Haven, CT 06520 8034, USA
Sci Total Environ 367:50-7. 2006..Unlike developed country, clean air may still be considered as a "luxury" good in China based on the estimation of income elasticity...
- Peptide sequence confidence in accurate mass and time analysis and its use in complex proteomics experimentsDamon May
Molecular Diagnostics Program, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington 98109, USA
J Proteome Res 7:5148-56. 2008....
- Correlates of axial gout: a cross-sectional studyRukmini M Konatalapalli
Division of Rheumatology, Suite 2A 66, Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving Street, NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
J Rheumatol 39:1445-9. 2012..A cross-sectional study was undertaken to determine the prevalence of axial gout in patients with established gouty arthritis and to analyze clinical, laboratory, and radiological correlations...