Affiliation: Beth Israel Medical Center
- Implications of 'postmodern biology' for pathology: the Cell DoctrineNeil D Theise
Department of Pathology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY 10003, USA
Lab Invest 86:335-44. 2006..In this paper, these themes will be considered and some implications for the investigative pathologist will be explored...
- Understanding cell lineages as complex adaptive systemsNeil D Theise
Division of Digestive Diseases, Departments of Medicine and Pathology, The Milton and Carroll Petrie Division of Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY 10003, USA
Blood Cells Mol Dis 32:17-20. 2004....
- Liver biopsy assessment in chronic viral hepatitis: a personal, practical approachNeil D Theise
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Medical Center of Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Mod Pathol 20:S3-14. 2007..Sample approaches to composing useful diagnostic reports are also presented...
- Liver stem cells: prospects for treatment of inherited and acquired liver diseasesNeil D Theise
Beth Israel Medical Center, Division of Digestive Diseases, 1st Avenue at 16th Street, New York, NY 10003, USA
Expert Opin Biol Ther 3:403-8. 2003....
- Stem cell research: elephants in the roomNeil D Theise
Department of Pathology, Division of Digestive Diseases, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY 10003, USA
Mayo Clin Proc 78:1004-9. 2003..Perhaps open, careful, and unbiased discussions of these elephants will help the cleanup work be less odious and completed sooner, rather than later...
- Perspective: stem cells react! Cell lineages as complex adaptive systemsNeil D Theise
Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY 10003, USA
Exp Hematol 32:25-7. 2004....
- Stem cell plasticity: tools for investigation and repairNeil D Theise
Liver and Stem Cell Research Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Division of Digestive Diseases, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 40:S48-9. 2005
- Hepatic 'stem cell' malignancies in adults: four casesN D Theise
Department of Pathology, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Histopathology 43:263-71. 2003..We report four cases of small tumours identified in livers with features of chronic hepatitis which may suggest a role for malignant transformation of hepatic stem cells in hepatic malignancies...
- Beyond cell doctrine: complexity theory informs alternate models of the body for cross-cultural dialogueNeil D Theise
Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Medical Center of Albert Einstein College of Medicine New York, New York, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1172:263-9. 2009..Additionally, the seemingly metaphorical concepts from Tibetan medicine of the coarse, energy, and subtle bodies may represent precise, though somewhat poetically expressed representations of the body at different levels of scale...
- On experimental design and discourse in plasticity researchNeil D Theise
Department of Pathology and Medicine, Beth Israel Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY 10003, USA
Stem Cell Rev 1:9-13. 2005..In different models of injury there are likely to be significant differences in promoting cell localization, proliferation, and predominance of "plasticity pathway," if any are involved, in determining outcome...
- Cell doctrine in a complex and uncertain world: time for reappraisal?Neil D Theise
Department of Pathology, Division of Digestive Diseases, Beth Israel Medical Center Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, New York 10003, USA
Cloning Stem Cells 7:209-13. 2005
- Gastrointestinal stem cells. III. Emergent themes of liver stem cell biology: niche, quiescence, self-renewal, and plasticityNeil D Theise
Division of Digestive Diseases, 16th St at 1st Ave, New York, NY 10003
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G189-93. 2006....
- The stem cell niche and tissue biologyNeil D Theise
Department of Pathology, Division of Digestive Diseases, Beth Israel Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Stem Cell Rev 2:169-70. 2006
- Liver biopsies in chronic viral hepatitis: beyond grading and stagingRachel Hudacko
Department of Pathology, New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 135:1320-8. 2011....
- Nomenclature of the finer branches of the biliary tree: canals, ductules, and ductular reactions in human liversTania A Roskams
Department of Pathology, University Hospitals, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Hepatology 39:1739-45. 2004....
- Stem-cell therapy for diabetes mellitusMehboob A Hussain
Liver and Stem Cell Research Laboratory, Division of Digestive Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Beth Israel Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY 10003, USA
Lancet 364:203-5. 2004..Encouraging studies in rodent models may ultimately set the stage for large-animal studies and translational investigation...
- Post-natal stem cells as participants in complex systems and the emergence of tissue integrity and functionMehboob A Hussain
Section of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, 5841 South Maryland Avenue M267, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Pediatr Diabetes 5:75-8. 2004..We would like to make this contribution a means of adding a somewhat different perspective to this collection of essays. This conceptual piece is merely intended to be an invitation to further thoughts and discussions...
- Dose- and time-dependent oval cell reaction in acetaminophen-induced murine liver injuryAlexander V Kofman
Department of Medicine, Division of Digestive Diseases, Liver and Stem Cell Research Laboratory, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY 10003, USA
Hepatology 41:1252-61. 2005..The close fidelity of mechanism and histology of acetaminophen injury between mouse and human livers makes it a useful model for investigating liver regeneration and the participation of stem/progenitor cells in that process...
- Liver stem cells: the fall and rise of tissue biologyNeil D Theise
Hepatology 38:804-6. 2003
- Cell plasticity: flexible arrangementNeil D Theise
Division of Digestive Diseases, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York 10003, USA
Nature 425:21. 2003
- Sonographic detection of hepatocellular carcinoma and dysplastic nodules in cirrhosis: correlation of pretransplantation sonography and liver explant pathology in 200 patientsGenevieve L Bennett
Department of Abdominal Radiology, New York University Medical Center, 560 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 179:75-80. 2002....
- Immunohistochemical evidence for hepatic progenitor cells in liver diseasesJianyou Tan
Department of Pathology, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Liver 22:365-73. 2002..We investigated bile ductular reactions in liver diseases, paying particular attention to the presence of cells with intermediate (hepatocytic/biliary) features (oval-like cells)...
- The hepatic stem cell niche: identification by label-retaining cell assayReiichiro Kuwahara
Department of Medicine, Division of Digestive Diseases, Beth Israel Medical Center Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York, NY 10003, USA
Hepatology 47:1994-2002. 2008....
- Bone marrow to liver: the blood of PrometheusNeil D Theise
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, Room 461, 560 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Semin Cell Dev Biol 13:411-7. 2002..Moreover, the physiological importance and therapeutic utility of this phenomenon remains controversial...
- Hepatic precancerous lesions and small hepatocellular carcinomaProdromos Hytiroglou
Department of Pathology, Aristotle University Medical School, 54006 Thessaloniki, Greece
Gastroenterol Clin North Am 36:867-87, vii. 2007..High-grade dysplastic nodules and small HCCs should be treated by local ablation, surgical resection, or liver transplantation...
- Radiation pneumonitis in mice: a severe injury model for pneumocyte engraftment from bone marrowNeil D Theise
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Exp Hematol 30:1333-8. 2002..To better understand the process by which pneumocytes can be derived from bone marrow cells, we investigated the in vivo kinetics of such engraftment following lethal irradiation...
- Regeneration of hepatocyte 'buds' in cirrhosis from intrabiliary stem cellsOlga Falkowski
Department of Pathology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY, USA
J Hepatol 39:357-64. 2003..We investigate derivation of intraseptal hepatocytes (ISHs) from DRs and from the biliary tree in cirrhosis...
- The tissue biology of ductular reactions in human chronic liver diseaseNeil D Theise
Gastroenterology 133:350-2. 2007
- Comment on "Little evidence for developmental plasticity of adult hematopoietic stem cells"Neil D Theise
Science 299:1317; author reply 1317. 2003
- Physiological variations of stem cell factor and stromal-derived factor-1 in murine models of liver injury and regenerationE Scott Swenson
Section of Digestive Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520 8019, USA
Liver Int 28:308-18. 2008..Stem cell factor (SCF) and stromal-derived factor-1 (SDF-1) regulate the regenerative response to liver injury, possibly through activation of liver progenitor 'oval' cells and recruitment of circulating, marrow-derived progenitors...
- Fibrin ring granuloma in chronic hepatitis C: virus-related vasculitis and/or immune complex disease?Emily Glazer
Department of Medicine, Division of Digestive Diseases, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, New York 10003, USA
Semin Liver Dis 27:227-30. 2007....
- Necrotizing granulomatous hepatitis as an unusual manifestation of Lyme diseaseAntonela C Zanchi
Division of Digestive Diseases, Department of Pathology, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, New York 10013, USA
Dig Dis Sci 52:2629-32. 2007
- Telomerase activation in human hepatocarcinogenesisProdromos Hytiroglou
Am J Gastroenterol 101:839-41. 2006..Most importantly, tackling the mechanisms of telomerase activation may provide new means of therapy for HCC and other cancers...
- Ductular reaction is helpful in defining early stromal invasion, small hepatocellular carcinomas, and dysplastic nodulesYoung Nyun Park
Department of Pathology and Institute of Gastroenterology, Center for Chronic Metabolic Disease, Brain Korea 21 Project for Medical Science, Yonsei University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Cancer 109:915-23. 2007..The authors hypothesized that ductular reaction (DR) takes place around noninvasive hepatocellular nodules but not within the stroma contiguous to invasive HCC...
- Bone marrow contributes to epithelial cancers in mice and humans as developmental mimicryChristopher R Cogle
Program in Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, University of Florida, ARB R4 216B, Gainesville, FL 32610 0277, USA
Stem Cells 25:1881-7. 2007..Disclosure of Potential Conflicts of Interest is found at the end of this article...
- Donor-derived type II pneumocytes are rare in the lungs of allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplant recipientsDani S Zander
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 6431 Fannin Street, Room 2 286, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Ann Clin Lab Sci 36:47-52. 2006..Conversely, proliferation by local stem cell populations appears to be more important for recovery from alveolar injury...
- Efficient generation of human hepatocytes by the intrahepatic delivery of clonal human mesenchymal stem cells in fetal sheepJason Chamberlain
Department of Animal Biotechnology, University of Nevada at Reno, Reno, NV 89557 0104, USA
Hepatology 46:1935-45. 2007..Furthermore, hepatocytes were generated from MSCs without the need to first migrate/lodge to the bone marrow and give rise to hematopoietic cells...
- Bone marrow production of lung cells: the impact of G-CSF, cardiotoxin, graded doses of irradiation, and subpopulation phenotypeJason M Aliotta
Roger Williams Medical Center, Center for Stem Cell Biology, Providence, RI 02908, USA
Exp Hematol 34:230-41. 2006..Previous studies have demonstrated the production of various types of lung cells from marrow cells under diverse experimental conditions. Our aim was to identify some of the variables that influence conversion in the lung...
- Destruction of canals of Hering in primary biliary cirrhosisRomil Saxena
Lillian and Henry M Stratton Hans Popper Department of Pathology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Hum Pathol 33:983-8. 2002..This destruction appears to be an early event, because CoH numbers are lowest around stage 0 portal tracts, which still contain normal bile ducts...
- Liver regeneration investigated in a non-human primate model (Macaca mulatta)Paul J Gaglio
Department of Medicine, Tulane University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA, USA
J Hepatol 37:625-32. 2002..An adequate model to study liver regeneration in humans is presently unavailable. We explored the feasibility of studying liver regeneration in a genetically similar species to man, the non-human primate Rhesus macaque...
- Low-grade siderotic dysplastic nodules: determination of premalignant lesions on the basis of vasculature phenotypeGlenn A Krinsky
Department of Radiology, New York University Medical Center, NY 10016, USA
Acad Radiol 9:336-41. 2002..The authors performed this study to determine whether, on the basis of the vascular profile, low-grade siderotic dysplastic nodules are premalignant lesions...
- Transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma and cirrhosis: sensitivity of magnetic resonance imagingGlenn A Krinsky
Department of Radiology, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Liver Transpl 8:1156-64. 2002..8-cm high-grade lesion, for a sensitivity of 7%. In conclusion, MRI is sensitive for the detection of HCC measuring at least 2 cm in diameter but is insensitive for the diagnosis of small HCC (<2 cm) and carcinomatosis...
- New principles of cell plasticityNeil D Theise
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, Room 461, 560 First Avenue, New York, NY 10003, USA
C R Biol 325:1039-43. 2002..However, in light of both the recent discoveries and older clinical or experimental findings, we have suggested principles comprising a new paradigm of cell plasticity, summarized here...
- Stellate-cell lipidosis in liver biopsy specimens. Recognition and significancePascale Hummel Levine
Dept of Pathology, NYU Medical Center, TH 461, 560, First Ave, New York, NY 10016 6497, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 119:254-8. 2003..In 6 patients, no cause of stellate-cell lipidosis was discerned. Stellate-cell lipidosis should be reported to alert clinicians to a potentially preventable form of liver injury...
- In vivo derivation of glucose-competent pancreatic endocrine cells from bone marrow without evidence of cell fusionAndreea Ianus
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Clin Invest 111:843-50. 2003..The results generated with the CRE-LoxP system also suggest that in vivo cell fusion is an unlikely explanation for the "transdifferentiation" of bone marrow-derived cells into differentiated cell phenotypes...
- Blood to liver and back again: seeds of understandingNeil D Theise
Haematologica 88:361-2. 2003
- The canals of hering might represent a target of methotrexate hepatic toxicityProdromos Hytiroglou
Department of Pathology, Aristotle University Medical School, Thessaloniki, Greece
Am J Clin Pathol 121:324-9. 2004..8 vs 5.2 +/- 1.7; P < .025). In specimens with moderate or severe fibrosis, fibrous septa sometimes extended along the coH. These findings suggest that scarring of the coH might be a consequence of the toxic effects of methotrexate...
- Paradigms of adult stem cell therapy for type 1 diabetes in miceAlexander V Kofman
Liver and Stem Cell Research Laboratory, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, and Albert Einstein Medical College, Bronx, NY, USA
Eur J Endocrinol 150:415-9. 2004
- Restoring balance to liver stem cell researchNeil D Theise
J Hepatol 41:673-6. 2004
- Bone marrow-derived cells contribute to epithelial engraftment during wound healingXenia Borue
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street, P O Box 208035, New Haven, CT 06520 8035, USA
Am J Pathol 165:1767-72. 2004....
- Bone marrow-derived stem-cell repopulation contributes minimally to the Type II pneumocyte pool in transplanted human lungsDani S Zander
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Medical School, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Transplantation 80:206-12. 2005....
- Hematopoietic mobilization in mice increases the presence of bone marrow-derived hepatocytes via in vivo cell fusionOscar Quintana-Bustamante
Hematopoietic Gene Therapy Division, CIEMAT M, Botín Foundation, Madrid, Spain
Hepatology 43:108-16. 2006..These findings open the possibility of using hematopoietic growth factors to treat nonhematopoietic degenerative diseases...
- Dysplastic nodules and hepatocarcinogenesisNeil D Theise
Department of Pathology, New York University Medical Center, Room 461, 560 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Clin Liver Dis 6:497-512. 2002....
- Hepatic engraftment of marrow cells in mice and humansNeil Theise; Fiscal Year: 2004....