K L Becker
- Clinical review 167: Procalcitonin and the calcitonin gene family of peptides in inflammation, infection, and sepsis: a journey from calcitonin back to its precursorsK L Becker
Veterans Affairs Medical Center and George Washington University, Washington, D C 20422, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:1512-25. 2004
- Immunoneutralization of procalcitonin as therapy of sepsisK L Becker
George Washington University and Veterans Administration Medical Center, 50 Irving Street NW, Washington, DC 20422, USA
J Endotoxin Res 9:367-74. 2003..In both late and early therapy, the only animals to survive at the predetermined time of euthanasia were those which had received immunoneutralization therapy...
- Late immunoneutralization of procalcitonin arrests the progression of lethal porcine sepsisJ M Martinez
Department of Surgery, George Washington University, Washington, DC, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2:193-202; discussion 202-3. 2001..We hypothesized that the sustained elevation of ProCT in the serum would allow for effective therapeutic immunoneutralization of this peptide late in the course of sepsis...
- Serum calcitonin precursors in sepsis and systemic inflammationK T Whang
Georgetown University, Washington, D C 20422, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:3296-301. 1998..It also provides data concerning the presence of severe infection and may prove to be clinically useful for proactive patient care...
- Salivary procalcitonin and periodontitis in diabetesC W Bassim
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Dent Res 87:630-4. 2008..This study demonstrates, for the first time, the presence of procalcitonin (ProCT), an established serum marker of infection, in saliva...
- Effects of anti-inflammatory agents on serum levels of calcitonin precursors during human experimental endotoxemiaH L Preas
Critical Care Medicine Department, Warren G. Magnuson Clinical Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Infect Dis 184:373-6. 2001..Of importance, this study reveals that anti-inflammatory agents may modulate the CTpr level, which is a potential toxic mediator of inflammation...
- Calcitonin gene-related peptide expression in sepsis: postulation of microbial infection-specific response elements within the calcitonin I gene promoterV S Domenech
Department of Research Medicine, University Hospitals, Basel, Switzerland
J Investig Med 49:514-21. 2001..This new form of endocrine plasticity may be of importance in the response to systemic inflammation...
- Calcitonin precursor levels in human medullary thyroid carcinomaH Bihan
Avicenne Hospital, University of Paris XIII, Groupe d Etudes des Tumeur à Calcitonine, Bobigny, France
Thyroid 13:819-22. 2003..We performed a study to evaluate the clinical utility of serum levels CTpr in these patients...
- Calcitonin precursors: early markers of gut barrier dysfunction in patients with acute pancreatitisB J Ammori
Division of Surgery at the University of Leeds, The General Infirmary, Leeds, UK
Pancreas 27:239-43. 2003..The aim of this study is to evaluate the role of plasma CTpr as an early marker for gut barrier dysfunction in patients with acute pancreatitis...
- Calcitonin precursors in the prediction of severity of acute pancreatitis on the day of admissionB J Ammori
Division of Surgery, University of Leeds and Centre for Digestive Diseases, The General Infirmary, Leeds, UK
Br J Surg 90:197-204. 2003....
- A case of spurious hypercalcitoninemia: a cautionary tale on the use of plasma calcitonin assays in the screening of patients with thyroid nodules for neoplasiaG I Uwaifo
Developmental Endocrinology Branch, National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Endocrinol Invest 24:361-9. 2001..Finally, the assay selected should detect only the mature CT molecule...
- Ubiquitous expression of the calcitonin-i gene in multiple tissues in response to sepsisB Muller
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:396-404. 2001..g. tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-6). Our findings, which describe a potentially new mechanism of host response to a microbial infection mediated by CTpr, introduce a new pathophysiological role for the CT-I gene...
- Serum procalcitonin as an index of inhalation injury in burnsE S Nylen
George Washington University, Washington D.C
Horm Metab Res 24:439-43. 1992..The measurement of serum procalcitonin levels would appear to be a useful prognostic indicator of the severity of inhalational injury occurring in burn patients...