Affiliation: Baylor College of Medicine
- Histamine derived from probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri suppresses TNF via modulation of PKA and ERK signalingCarissa M Thomas
Interdepartmental Program in Cell and Molecular Biology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e31951. 2012..The identification of bacterial bioactive metabolites and their corresponding mechanisms of action with respect to immunomodulation may lead to improved anti-inflammatory strategies for chronic immune-mediated diseases...
- The Genboree Microbiome Toolset and the analysis of 16S rRNA microbial sequencesKevin Riehle
Molecular and Human Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 13:S11. 2012..Installation, integration, and maintenance of the tools poses significant burden on many researchers and creates a barrier to adoption of microbiome analysis, particularly in translational settings...
- Probiotics stimulate enterocyte migration and microbial diversity in the neonatal mouse intestineGeoffrey A Preidis
Texas Children s Hospital, Feigin Center, Ste 830, 1102 Bates Ave, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
FASEB J 26:1960-9. 2012..These experiments identify two targets of probiosis in early development, the intestinal epithelium and the gut microbiome, and suggest novel mechanisms for probiotic strain-specific effects...
- Probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri biofilms produce antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory factorsSara E Jones
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
BMC Microbiol 9:35. 2009....
- Colonic mucosal DNA methylation, immune response, and microbiome patterns in Toll-like receptor 2-knockout miceRichard Kellermayer
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030 2399, USA
FASEB J 25:1449-60. 2011..This manuscript highlights the intimate interrelationships between expression of immune-related genes and immunity pathways in the host with compositional and functional differences of the mammalian microbiome...
- Molecular microbiological methods in the diagnosis of neonatal sepsisMohan Venkatesh
Section of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Texas Children s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine, 6621 Fannin St, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 8:1037-48. 2010..Molecular methods offer distinct advantages over blood cultures, including increased sensitivity and rapid diagnosis. However, diagnostic accuracy and cost-effectiveness should be established before implementation in clinical practice...
- Novel synergistic antibiofilm combinations for salvage of infected cathetersMohan Venkatesh
Section of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Texas Children s Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Med Microbiol 58:936-44. 2009..Catheter-lock solutions of EDTA, NAC and ethanol alone or in combination with antibiotics may be used to salvage infected catheters, which will directly impact on patient morbidity and health-care costs...
- Vancomycin MICs for Staphylococcus aureus vary by detection method and have subtly increased in a pediatric population since 2005Edward O Mason
Section of Infectious Diseases, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, and Infectious Disease Research Laboratory, Texas Children s Hospital, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:1628-30. 2009..3) was not different. We conclude that MICs for pediatric isolates have increased slightly since 2005 and therapeutic decisions based on vancomycin MICs need to be made by considering the methodology used...
- Mechanisms of probiosis and prebiosis: considerations for enhanced functional foodsDelphine M A Saulnier
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Curr Opin Biotechnol 20:135-41. 2009..A special focus will be given to the addition of prebiotics and probiotics in functional foods for infants and seniors...
- Relationships among ciprofloxacin, gatifloxacin, levofloxacin, and norfloxacin MICs for fluoroquinolone-resistant Escherichia coli clinical isolatesLauren Becnel Boyd
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:229-34. 2009....
- CATALASE IMMUNITY IN PRIMARY SCLEROSING CHOLANGITISJames Versalovic; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed animal model will facilitate the evaluation of diagnostic and therapeutic strategies for PSC in vivo. ..
- Intestinal Lactobacillus and Mucosal ImmunomodulationJames Versalovic; Fiscal Year: 2010..We seek to understand the mechanisms of action of beneficial intestinal bacteria so that new strains can be identified naturally or engineered for human medicine. ..
- Intestinal Lactobacillus and Mucosal ImmunomodulationJames Versalovic; Fiscal Year: 2009..We seek to understand the mechanisms of action of beneficial intestinal bacteria so that new strains can be identified naturally or engineered for human medicine. ..
- Probiotic Lactobacillus-Mediated Suppression of TNF in Pediatric Crohn's DiseaseJames Versalovic; Fiscal Year: 2007..The identification of human signaling pathways regulated by probiotics will facilitate specification of targets for new anti-inflammatory compounds and may move probiotics from "alternative" to "mainstream" medicine. ..
- Intestinal Lactobacillus and Mucosal ImmunomodulationJames Versalovic; Fiscal Year: 2007..We seek to understand the mechanisms of action of beneficial intestinal bacteria so that new strains can be identified naturally or engineered for human medicine. ..
- Reuteri LuxS in Probiosis for Early Childhood CariesJames Versalovic; Fiscal Year: 2006..2. Investigate the role of Lactobacillus reuteri (Reuteri) LuxS in regulation of biofilm-related gene expression and biofilm formation by early childhood caries-associated Streptococcus mutans (Mutans). ..
- Modulation of NF-kB Signaling by ImmunoprobioticsJames Versalovic; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finally, a mouse model of intestinal inflammation will be used to explore which genes of beneficial bacteria are important for regulating intestinal immune responses in mammals. ..