Matthew N Rasband
Affiliation: Baylor College of Medicine
- Marin M, Ziburkus J, JANKOWSKY J, Rasband M. Amyloid-Î² plaques disrupt axon initial segments. Exp Neurol. 2016;281:93-8 pubmed publisher..This paper demonstrates that neurons near AÎ² plaques have disrupted axon initial segments. Loss or disruption of AIS is predicted to have detrimental consequences for brain function. ..
- Marin M, de Lima S, Gilbert H, Giger R, Benowitz L, Rasband M. Reassembly of Excitable Domains after CNS Axon Regeneration. J Neurosci. 2016;36:9148-60 pubmed publisher..We show, for the first time, that regenerated CNS axons have the capacity to both remyelinate and reassemble the axon initial segments and nodes of Ranvier necessary for rapid and efficient action potential propagation. ..
- ..New 'super-resolution' imaging of the submembranous axonal cytoskeleton reveals that it is organized in a periodic, ladder-like structure with alternating rings of actin linked together by intervening complexes of spectrin...
- Baalman K, Marin M, Ho T, Godoy M, Cherian L, Robertson C, et al. Axon initial segment-associated microglia. J Neurosci. 2015;35:2283-92 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a unique population of microglia that specifically interact with the AIS in the adult cortex. ..
- Zollinger D, Chang K, Baalman K, Kim S, Rasband M. The Polarity Protein Pals1 Regulates Radial Sorting of Axons. J Neurosci. 2015;35:10474-84 pubmed publisher..Radial sorting is essential for efficient and proper myelination and is disrupted in some types of congenital muscular dystrophy. ..
- Huang C, Zhang C, Zollinger D, Leterrier C, Rasband M. An ?II Spectrin-Based Cytoskeleton Protects Large-Diameter Myelinated Axons from Degeneration. J Neurosci. 2017;37:11323-11334 pubmed publisher..We show that nodal ?II spectrin is found at greater densities in large-diameter myelinated axons, suggesting that nodes are particularly vulnerable domains requiring a specialized cytoskeleton to protect against axon degeneration. ..