K J Motil
Affiliation: Baylor College of Medicine
- Lean body mass of well-nourished women is preserved during lactationK J Motil
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Children s Nutrition Research Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 67:292-300. 1998..Lean body mass was preserved throughout lactation in well-nourished women, suggesting that the metabolic needs of milk protein production were met solely by higher protein intakes of the lactating women...
- Infant feeding: a critical look at infant formulasK J Motil
USDA ARS Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston 77030, USA
Curr Opin Pediatr 12:469-76. 2000..Modifications to infant formulas are made when the preponderance of scientific evidence suggests that the compositional change will better meet the nutritional needs of the infant...
- Growth characteristics of children with ectodermal dysplasia syndromesKathleen J Motil
Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Pediatrics 116:e229-34. 2005..We hypothesized that (1) linear and ponderal growth abnormalities are present in children with ED from infancy through adolescence, and (2) linear and ponderal growth abnormalities differ among the clinical variants of these disorders...
- Fractional calcium absorption is increased in girls with Rett syndromeKathleen J Motil
USDA ARS Children s Nutrition Research Center, Houston 77030, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 42:419-26. 2006..We hypothesized that decreased intestinal calcium (Ca) absorption relative to dietary Ca intake and increased renal Ca excretion might cause these problems in RTT...
- Z score prediction model for assessment of bone mineral content in pediatric diseasesK J Ellis
US Department of Agriculture/Agricultural Research Service Children's Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Bone Miner Res 16:1658-64. 2001..5. These preliminary findings indicate that the prediction model should prove useful in determining potential bone mineral deficits in individual pediatric patients...
- Growth, nutritional, and gastrointestinal aspects of ankyloblepharon-ectodermal defect-cleft lip and/or palate (AEC) syndromeKathleen J Motil
Department of Pediatrics, USDA ARS Children s Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, 1100 Bates Street, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Med Genet A 149:1922-5. 2009..Our observations provide novel clinical information about growth, body composition, and nutritional and gastrointestinal aspects of children and adults with AEC...
- Gastrostomy placement improves height and weight gain in girls with Rett syndromeKathleen J Motil
USDA ARS Children s Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 49:237-42. 2009..Growth failure and undernutrition complicate the clinical course of girls with Rett syndrome (RTT). These abnormalities are, in part, the consequence of oral motor dysfunction and inadequate dietary intake...
- Epilepsy and the natural history of Rett syndromeD G Glaze
The Blue Bird Circle Rett Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Neurology 74:909-12. 2010..Epilepsy has been reported in 50%-80%. Previous reports were based on small sample sizes or parent-completed questionnaires, or failed to consider the impact of specific MECP2 mutations...
- Bone mineral content and bone mineral density are lower in older than in younger females with Rett syndromeKathleen J Motil
USDA ARS Children s Nutrition Research Center, Departments of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Pediatr Res 64:435-9. 2008..This study identified associations among low BMD, fractures, and scoliosis, and underscored the need for better understanding of the molecular mechanisms of MECP2 in the regulation of bone mineral metabolism...
- A study of the treatment of Rett syndrome with folate and betaineDaniel G Glaze
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Child Neurol 24:551-6. 2009..This study should inform future treatment trials regarding balancing participants with specific mutations and comparable severity to minimize selection bias...
- Profiling scoliosis in Rett syndromeAlan K Percy
Department of Pediatrics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Pediatr Res 67:435-9. 2010..Clinical trial design should account for scoliosis and related factors judiciously...
- Nutrition support for neurologically impaired children: a clinical report of the North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and NutritionValerie Marchand
Department of Pediatrics, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 43:123-35. 2006..Careful evaluation and monitoring of severely disabled children for nutritional problems are warranted because of the increased risk of nutrition-related morbidity and mortality...