Affiliation: Baylor College of Medicine
- Superoxide dismutase as a target for the selective killing of cancer cellsP Huang
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Nature 407:390-5. 2000..Our results indicate that targeting SOD may be a promising approach to the selective killing of cancer cells, and that mechanism-based combinations of SOD inhibitors with free-radical-producing agents may have clinical applications...
- 2'-C-cyano-2'-deoxy-1-beta-D-arabino-pentofuranosylcytosine: a novel anticancer nucleoside analog that causes both DNA strand breaks and G(2) arrestA Azuma
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Pharmacol 59:725-31. 2001..It is likely that DNA strand breaks trigger cell cycle arrest in G(2)...
- S-Phase arrest by nucleoside analogues and abrogation of survival without cell cycle progression by 7-hydroxystaurosporineZ Shi
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center and The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston 77030, USA
Cancer Res 61:1065-72. 2001..These results differ from those in cells arrested at the G2 checkpoint, in which UCN-01 abrogates cell cycle arrest, permitting cells to progress in the cell cycle before apoptosis...
- Gemcitabine: preclinical pharmacology and mechanisms of actionW Plunkett
Department of Clinical Investigation, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston 77030, USA
Semin Oncol 23:3-15. 1996..Most importantly, the ratio of the cellular concentrations of gemcitabine triphosphate to deoxycytidine triphosphate increases, favoring analog incorporation into DNA, which is strongly associated with loss of viability...
- Cellular pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of the deoxycytidine analog 2'-C-cyano-2'-deoxy-1-beta-D-arabino-pentofuranosylcytosine (CNDAC)A Azuma
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, Box 71, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Biochem Pharmacol 61:1497-507. 2001....
- Incorporation of fludarabine and 1-beta-D-arabinofuranosylcytosine 5'-triphosphates by DNA polymerase alpha: affinity, interaction, and consequencesV Gandhi
Department of Clinical Investigation, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 3:1347-55. 1997..Based on these results and the intracellular pharmacokinetics of ara-CTP and F-ara-ATP in leukemia blasts, we propose a pharmacodynamic model to explain interactions between these analogues during combination chemotherapy...
- Interaction of p53 and DNA-PK in response to nucleoside analogues: potential role as a sensor complex for DNA damageG Achanta
Department of Molecular Pathology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Cancer Res 61:8723-9. 2001..These data suggest that DNA-PK and p53 may form a sensor complex that detects the disruption of DNA replication caused by nucleoside analogue incorporation and may subsequently signal for apoptosis...
- Telephone assistance for smoking cessation: one year cost effectiveness estimationsA L McAlister
Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Tob Control 13:85-6. 2004..Counselling nearly doubles a smokers' odds of quitting and maintaining cessation for one year. The estimated cost for each case of maintained smoking cessation attributable to counselling availability is approximately 1300 dollars...
- Texas Tobacco Prevention Pilot Initiative: processes and effectsA F Meshack
Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research, School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7000 Fannin, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Health Educ Res 19:657-68. 2004..The most consistent changes, at least short-term, to reduce teen tobacco use, susceptibility to smoking and pro-smoking attitudes were achieved by combining the intensive media campaign with the comprehensive community program condition...