Affiliation: Baylor College of Medicine
- Cellular signals activating muscle proteolysis in chronic kidney disease: a two-stage processJie Du
Nephrology Division, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza BCM 285, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 37:2147-55. 2005..Additional investigations will be needed to define the cell signaling processes that activate muscle proteolysis in uremia and catabolic conditions...
- Atrogin-1 affects muscle protein synthesis and degradation when energy metabolism is impaired by the antidiabetes drug berberineHuiling Wang
Renal Division, Jimin Hospital, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Diabetes 59:1879-89. 2010..Since an herbal compound, berberine, lowers blood levels of glucose and lipids, we proposed that it would improve insulin/IGF-1 signaling, blocking muscle protein losses...
- PTEN inhibition improves muscle regeneration in mice fed a high-fat dietZhaoyong Hu
Nephrology Division, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Diabetes 59:1312-20. 2010..We also examined the regulation of phosphatidylinositol 3,4,5-trisphosphate (PIP(3)) during muscle regeneration because augmented IGF-1 signaling can improve muscle regeneration...
- PTEN expression contributes to the regulation of muscle protein degradation in diabetesZhaoyong Hu
Baylor College of Medicine, Nephrology Division, M S BCM 285, One Baylor Plaza, Alkek N 520, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Diabetes 56:2449-56. 2007..We evaluated the control of muscle protein synthesis and degradation in mouse models of type 1 and 2 diabetes to determine whether defects besides PI3K/Akt activities affect muscle metabolism...
- Endogenous glucocorticoids and impaired insulin signaling are both required to stimulate muscle wasting under pathophysiological conditions in miceZhaoyong Hu
Nephrology Division, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Clin Invest 119:3059-69. 2009..This nongenomic influence of the GR contributes to activation of muscle protein degradation. We therefore conclude that stimulation of muscle proteolysis requires 2 events, increased glucocorticoid levels and impaired insulin signaling...
- IL-6 and serum amyloid A synergy mediates angiotensin II-induced muscle wastingLiping Zhang
Nephrology Division, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 20:604-12. 2009..Targeting the high levels of IL-6 and SAA in catabolic disorders might be a therapeutic approach to prevent muscle wasting...
- Pharmacological inhibition of myostatin suppresses systemic inflammation and muscle atrophy in mice with chronic kidney diseaseLiping Zhang
Nephrology Division, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA 77030, USA
FASEB J 25:1653-63. 2011..Myostatin antagonism might become a therapeutic strategy for improving muscle growth in CKD and other conditions with similar characteristics...
- Development of a diagnostic method for detecting increased muscle protein degradation in patients with catabolic conditionsBiruh T Workeneh
Medicine and Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:3233-9. 2006....
- Regulation of muscle protein degradation: coordinated control of apoptotic and ubiquitin-proteasome systems by phosphatidylinositol 3 kinaseSeoung Woo Lee
Nephrology Division, Department of Medicine, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:1537-45. 2004..When PI3K activity is low, both apoptotic and Ub-P'some pathways are activated coordinately to cause muscle proteolysis. This mechanism could increase muscle atrophy in conditions with impaired insulin responsiveness...
- Loss of PTEN promotes podocyte cytoskeletal rearrangement, aggravating diabetic nephropathyJamie S Lin
Nephrology Division, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Pathol 236:30-40. 2015..Copyright © 2015 Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ..
- Genetic deficiency of adiponectin protects against acute kidney injuryXiaogao Jin
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Kidney Int 83:604-14. 2013..Thus, our results show that adiponectin has a pivotal role in the pathogenesis of acute renal ischemia/reperfusion injury and may be a potential therapeutic target...
- Ghrelin treatment of chronic kidney disease: improvements in lean body mass and cytokine profileMark D DeBoer
Department of Pediatrics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Endocrinology 149:827-35. 2008..We conclude that ghrelin treatment in uremia results in improved lean mass accrual in part due to suppressed muscle proteolysis and possibly related to antiinflammatory effects...
- Insulin resistance accelerates muscle protein degradation: Activation of the ubiquitin-proteasome pathway by defects in muscle cell signalingXiaonan Wang
Renal Division, WMB 338, Emory University School of Medicine, M S 1930 001 1AG, 1639 Pierce Drive, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Endocrinology 147:4160-8. 2006..Thus, insulin resistance causes muscle wasting by mechanisms that involve suppression of PI3K/Akt signaling leading to activation of caspase-3 and the ubiquitin-proteasome proteolytic pathway causing muscle protein degradation...
- Chronic kidney disease causes defects in signaling through the insulin receptor substrate/phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt pathway: implications for muscle atrophyJames L Bailey
Renal Division, Emory University School of Medicine, WMB 338, 1639 Pierce Drive, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Am Soc Nephrol 17:1388-94. 2006..It is concluded that in CKD, acidosis and an increase in the PI3-K p85 subunit are mechanisms that contribute to suppression of PI3-K activity in muscle, and this leads to accelerated muscle proteolysis...
- Mitochondrial integrity and function in atherogenesisScott W Ballinger
Sealy Center for Molecular Cardiology and Division of Cardiology, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Tex, USA
Circulation 106:544-9. 2002..Oxidative damage to the mitochondrial genome with resultant mitochondrial dysfunction is an important consequence of increased intracellular RS...