Affiliation: Baylor College of Medicine
- SWiFT: a rapid triage tool for vulnerable older adults in disaster situationsCarmel B Dyer
Baylor College of Medicine and the Harris County Hospital District, USA
Disaster Med Public Health Prep 2:S45-50. 2008..There was no method for assessing the immediate and long-term needs of this vulnerable population...
- Self-neglect among the elderly: a model based on more than 500 patients seen by a geriatric medicine teamCarmel Bitondo Dyer
College of Medicine, Baylor University, Houston, Tex, USA
Am J Public Health 97:1671-6. 2007..We sought to identify the functional, cognitive, and social factors associated with self-neglect among the elderly to aid the development of etiologic models to guide future research...
- Vulnerable elders: when it is no longer safe to live aloneCarmel Bitondo Dyer
Department of Medicine, Division of Geriatric and Palliative Medicine, University of Texas Houston Science Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
JAMA 298:1448-50. 2007
- Convergent validation of the Kohlman Evaluation of Living Skills as a screening tool of older adults' ability to live safely and independently in the communityJason Burnett
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Geriatric and Palliative Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX, USA
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 90:1948-52. 2009..To evaluate the convergent validity of the Kohlman Evaluation of Living Skills (KELS) to screen older adults' ability to live safely and independently...
- Impairment in instrumental activities of daily living and the geriatric syndrome of self-neglectAanand D Naik
Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Gerontologist 48:388-93. 2008..We sought to characterize self-neglect definitively as a geriatric syndrome by identifying an association with functional impairment...
- Assessing capacity in suspected cases of self-neglectAanand D Naik
Harris County Hospital District, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Geriatrics 63:24-31. 2008..Once self-neglect has been identified, common clinical interventions can be targeted to the diagnosed deficits that foster vulnerability to neglect in older adults...
- Hurricane Katrina: medical response at the Houston Astrodome/Reliant Center ComplexThomas F Gavagan
Department of Family and Community Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, 3701 Kirby, Suite 600, Houston, TX 77098, USA
South Med J 99:933-9. 2006..Herein, we describe the scope of this medical response, citing our major challenges, successes, and recommendations for conducting similar efforts in the future...
- Changing patient characteristics and survival experience in an Alzheimer's center patient cohortR Doody
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 20:198-208. 2005..Large and diverse dementia patient cohorts can further a variety of research programs aimed at improving diagnosis, treatment, and meaningful survival in AD...
- The utility of the Kohlman Evaluation of Living Skills test is associated with substantiated cases of elder self-neglectSabrina Pickens
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Geriatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Quentin Mease Hospital, Houston, Texas 77004, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 19:137-42. 2007....
- Conceptual challenges and practical approaches to screening capacity for self-care and protection in vulnerable older adultsAanand D Naik
Houston Center for Quality of Care and Utilization Studies, Health Services Research and Development Service, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:S266-70. 2008..Social services professionals can then use a valid and feasible screening tool during field assessments to screen for potential impairments in the capacity for SC&P in vulnerable older adults...
- Patient autonomy for the management of chronic conditions: a two-component re-conceptualizationAanand D Naik
Houston Center for Quality of Care and Utilization Studies, Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center 152, 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Bioeth 9:23-30. 2009....
- Community approaches to elder abuseCarmel B Dyer
Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, 3601 N MacGregor Way, Houston, TX 77004, USA
Clin Geriatr Med 21:429-47. 2005..Other resources, such as Area Agencies on Aging, local women's shelters, and The National Center for Elder Abuse, are available to help manage elder abuse and neglect cases in the community...
- Catastrophic events and older adultsElizabeth Cloyd
Harris County Hospital District, Houston, TX 77054, USA
Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 22:501-13. 2010..The health and resilience of disaster-relief teams depend on paying attention to signs and symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder and seeking appropriate treatment should it occur...
- Exploring self-neglect in older adults: preliminary findings of the self-neglect severity scale and next stepsP Adam Kelly
Department of Medicine, Neurology Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:S253-60. 2008..Future methods are proposed for refining the SSS to improve its use as the benchmark for identifying elder self-neglect...
- Nutritional status is altered in the self-neglecting elderlyScott M Smith
Nutritional Biochemistry Laboratory, Human Adaptation and Countermeasures Office, NASA Lyndon B Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX 77058, USA
J Nutr 136:2534-41. 2006..Evaluation of these data in relation to other functional and cognitive assessments are critical for evaluating the relation between nutrition and self-neglect...
- Functional outcomes and daily life activities of African-American elders after hospitalizationJean Spencer
School of Occupational Therapy, Texas Woman's University, 1130 John Freeman Boulevard, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Am J Occup Ther 56:149-59. 2002..CONCLUSION: Complex relationships were identified among body systems, functional outcomes, and daily life activities that were influenced by individual values and support arrangements...
- Healthcare costs and utilization of vulnerable elderly people reported to Adult Protective Services for self-neglectLuisa Franzini
School of Public Health, University of Texas, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:667-76. 2008..To assess differences between diagnoses, healthcare utilization, and healthcare costs of vulnerable elderly people reported to Adult Protective Services for self-neglect and those of matched controls...
- Assessing capacity in the setting of self-neglect: development of a novel screening tool for decision-making capacityAanand D Naik
Baylor College of Medicine, USA
J Elder Abuse Negl 18:79-91. 2006....
- Vitamin D deficiency associated with self-neglect in the elderlyKoko Aung
CREST, University of Texas Medical School Houston, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio Division of General Internal Medicine, 78229 3901, USA
J Elder Abuse Negl 18:63-78. 2006..Vitamin D deficiency is common in elders. However, little is known about the implications of vitamin D deficiency in elder self-neglect...
- Is pain a significant factor in elder self-neglect?Sabrina Pickens
CREST, University of Texas Medical School Houston, Harris County Hospital District, 77004, USA
J Elder Abuse Negl 18:51-61. 2006..The purpose of this analysis is to determine whether self-reported pain is associated with validated cases of self-neglect compared with matched controls...
- Social networks: a profile of the elderly who self-neglectJason Burnett
CREST, University of Texas Medical School Houston, Harris County Hospital District, 77004, USA
J Elder Abuse Negl 18:35-49. 2006..The aim of this study was to explore the social networks associated with elder self-neglect compared with a matched-control group...
- What is the association between self-neglect, depressive symptoms and untreated medical conditions?Jason Burnett
CREST, University of Texas Medical School Houston, Harris County Hospital District, USA
J Elder Abuse Negl 18:25-34. 2006..It also describes the relationship between untreated medical condition(s) associated with self-neglect and abnormal scores on the GDS-SF...
- The making of a self-neglect severity scaleCarmel Bitondo Dyer
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Medical School Houston, Harris County Hospital District, USA
J Elder Abuse Negl 18:13-23. 2006..The lack of a gold standard to measure self-neglect has hampered efforts to study this phenomenon...
- Severe self-neglect: an epidemiological and historical perspectiveEdward Lee Poythress
Department of General Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Ben Taub General Hospital, Harris County Hospital District, Houston, TX, USA
J Elder Abuse Negl 18:5-12. 2006..Future research is needed to provide practitioners with effective screening instruments and interventions on cases of severe self-neglect...
- Self-neglect in older adults is a geriatric syndromeSabrina Pickens
J Am Geriatr Soc 54:1796-7. 2006
- Frail older patient care by interdisciplinary teams: a primer for generalistsCarmel Bitondo Dyer
Baylor College of Medicine, Harris County Hospital District, Houston, TX 77004, USA
Gerontol Geriatr Educ 24:51-62. 2003..In addition, the challenges that occur when Geriatric Interdisciplinary (ID) Teams involved in providing care to frail older patients are identified and discussed...
- The hidden health menace of elder abuse. Physicians can help patients surmount intimate partner violenceJoslyn Weiner Fisher
Postgrad Med 113:21-4, 30. 2003..Nationally spouses or intimate partners commit between 13% and 50% of elder abuse.1 Physicians can be instrumental in preventing and intervening in intimate partner violence in their elderly patients...
- Neglect assessment in elderly personsCarmel Bitondo Dyer
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:1000-1. 2005
- Enhancing victim safety through collaborationBonnie Brandle
Care Manag J 7:64-72. 2006..This chapter reviews potential lethality factors and the steps that can be taken to enhance the safety of victims, their families, and the professionals who serve them...
- How geriatricians identify elder abuse and neglectRegina Harrell
Department of Internal Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas, USA
Am J Med Sci 323:34-8. 2002..A variety of interventions were employed by physicians and ranged from automatically calling APS on each case to addressing cases through work with an interdisciplinary geriatrics team...
- Consortium for Research in Elder Self-neglect (RMI)Carmel Dyer; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will also form three interdisciplinary working groups, convene a national research conference and appoint a national external advisory board to inform the CREST of elder needs. ..
- Multidimensional Assessment and Intervention for Elder Self-NeglectCarmel B Dyer; Fiscal Year: 2010..We intend to test the hypothesis that this approach will improve the quality of care and outcomes provided to these seniors by state protective service agencies. ..