V M Cardenas
Affiliation: Baylor College of Medicine
- Yard flooding by irrigation canals increased the risk of West Nile disease in El Paso, TexasVictor M Cardenas
University of Texas Houston School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology, Human Genetics and Environmental Sciences, El Paso Regional Campus, El Paso, TX 79902, USA
Ann Epidemiol 21:922-9. 2011..To investigate the effects of use of water from irrigation canals to flood residential yards on the risk of West Nile disease in El Paso, Texas...
- Helicobacter pylori eradication and change in markers of iron stores among non-iron-deficient children in El Paso, Texas: an etiologic intervention studyVictor M Cardenas
UT HSC at Houston School of Public Health, El Paso Regional Campus, El Paso, Texas 79902, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 52:326-32. 2011..We assessed whether Helicobacter pylori eradication was followed by changes in iron stores among non-iron-deficient children...
- Hyperendemic H. pylori and tapeworm infections in a U.S.-Mexico border populationVictor M Cardenas
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health, El Paso, TX 79902, USA
Public Health Rep 125:441-7. 2010..S. regions bordering Mexico compared with non-border areas. We assessed the prevalence of important gastrointestinal infections in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, and El Paso, Texas, the largest binational community along the U.S.-Mexico border...
- Evaluation of a novel stool native catalase antigen test for Helicobacter pylori infection in asymptomatic North American childrenVictor M Cardenas
Division of Epidemiology, University of Texas School of Public Health, El Paso, TX 79902, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 46:399-402. 2008..4%-100%, respectively). This rapid stool antigen test may prove useful for point-of-care testing and epidemiological field studies. Larger prospective studies are needed in symptomatic and asymptomatic children for more precise estimates...
- Rabeprazole containing triple therapy to eradicate Helicobacter pylori infection on the Texas-Mexican borderV M Cardenas
El Paso Regional Campus, University of Texas School of Public Health, El Paso, TX 79902, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:295-301. 2006..Antibiotic resistance and duration of therapy influence the success of proton-pump inhibitor-containing Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy. Clarithromycin resistance is associated with treatment failure...
- Iron deficiency and Helicobacter pylori infection in the United StatesVictor M Cardenas
Division of Epidemiology, University of Texas School of Public Health, El Paso, USA
Am J Epidemiol 163:127-34. 2006..4, 95% CI: 0.9, 2.0) after controlling for relevant covariates. In the United States, H. pylori infection was associated with iron deficiency/IDA regardless of the presence or absence of peptic ulcer disease...
- Smoking and Helicobacter pylori infection in a sample of U.S. adultsVictor M Cardenas
UT School of Public Health at Houston El Paso Campus, El Paso, TX, USA
Epidemiology 16:586-90. 2005..Although the prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection has been assessed in the National Health and Nutritional Examination Survey (NHANES), its possible relation with smoking has not been fully explored...
- A promotores de salud intervention to reduce cardiovascular disease risk in a high-risk Hispanic border population, 2005-2008HECTOR G BALCAZAR
University of Texas at Houston Health Science Center, School of Public Health, El Paso Regional Campus, 1100 N Stanton St, El Paso, TX 79902, USA
Prev Chronic Dis 7:A28. 2010..The objective of Project HEART (Health Education Awareness Research Team) was to promote behavior changes to decrease CVD risk factors in a high-risk Hispanic border population...
- Occurrence of faecal contamination in households along the US-Mexico borderL Carrasco
Center for Environmental Resource Management, The University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX 79902, USA
Lett Appl Microbiol 46:682-7. 2008..The study aim was to determine the presence of total and faecal coliforms on kitchen surfaces, in tap water and on the hands of caregivers in households on both sides of the US-Mexico border...
- Helicobacter pylori eradication and its effect on iron stores: a reappraisalVictor M Cardenas
J Infect Dis 194:714; author reply 715-6. 2006
- Utilization and purchase of medical care services in Mexico by residents in the United States of America, 1998-1999Luis G Escobedo
New Mexico Department of Health, 1170 North Solano, Suite L, Las Cruces, New Mexico 88001, United States of America
Rev Panam Salud Publica 19:300-5. 2006..We assessed self-reported frequency of purchase of medications and medical care services in Mexico by southern New Mexico (United States, [U.S.]) residents in relation to their medical insurance coverage...
- Short report: serological evidence of West Nile virus activity in El SalvadorLilian Cruz
Field Epidemiology Training Program, Ministry of Public Health and Social Welfare, San Salvador, El Salvador
Am J Trop Med Hyg 72:612-5. 2005..Ten of these infections were confirmed by plaque reduction neutralization tests, suggesting West Nile virus has extended its range and spread to Central America...