Charles E Begley
Affiliation: Baylor College of Medicine
- The economic cost of epilepsy: a review of the literatureCharles E Begley
School of Public Health, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston 77030, USA
Epilepsia 43:3-9. 2002..General patterns across patients with different types of conditions are reported. Gaps in the literature are identified and future research needs are assessed...
- Health reform and primary care capacity: evidence from Houston/Harris County, TexasCharles Begley
Management, Policy, and Community Health, University of Texas School of Public Health in Houston, Texas, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 23:386-97. 2012..Demand for primary care by this population is projected to increase by 30% under health reform leading to a drop in demand met by safety-net providers to less than 25%...
- Socioeconomic status, health care use, and outcomes: persistence of disparities over timeCharles Begley
University of Texas, School of Public Health, Division of Management, Policy, and Community Health, Houston, Texas, USA
Epilepsia 52:957-64. 2011..To determine the persistence of disparities in health care use and outcomes in socioeconomically diverse populations of epilepsy patients...
- Socioeconomic status and self-management in epilepsy: comparison of diverse clinical populations in Houston, TexasCharles E Begley
School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX 77225, USA
Epilepsy Behav 19:232-8. 2010..05). These findings provide little support for SES-related disparities in self-management and suggest that the focus of strategies to improve self-management may be similar across diverse populations...
- Who uses hospital emergency rooms?: evidence from Houston/Harris County TexasCharles E Begley
Management, Policy, and Community Health, UT School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 21:606-16. 2010..The findings provide support for ER diversion strategies that focus on providing high quality primary care and urgent care center alternatives to the ER, particularly in the Black/ Non-Hispanic community...
- Sociodemographic disparities in epilepsy care: Results from the Houston/New York City health care use and outcomes studyCharles E Begley
The University of Texas, School of Public Health, Division of Management, Policy, and Community Health, Houston, Texas, USA
Epilepsia 50:1040-50. 2009....
- Integrating behavioral health and primary care: the Harris County Community Behavioral Health ProgramCharles E Begley
Division of Management, Policy and Community Health, University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Psychiatr Serv 59:356-8. 2008....
- Cross-country measures for monitoring epilepsy careCharles E Begley
School of Public Health, University of Texas 77030, USA
Epilepsia 48:990-1001. 2007..The goal is to provide planners and policymakers with tools to analyze the impact of healthcare services and systems and evaluate efforts to improve performance...
- Emergency room use and access to primary care: evidence from Houston, TexasCharles E Begley
Division of Management, Policy and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Texas Houston, TX 77225, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 17:610-24. 2006..These findings suggest that the combination of this indicator with other measures of access could be used to monitor and evaluate local initiatives designed to expand care and coverage to the medically underserved...
- Ambulance diversion as a proxy for emergency department crowding: the effect on pediatric mortality in a metropolitan areaRohit P Shenoi
Section of Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA
Acad Emerg Med 16:116-23. 2009..The objective was to determine the prevalence of emergency department (ED) ambulance diversion among Houston pediatric hospitals and its association with mortality of pediatric patients...
- ILAE Commission on the Burden of Epilepsy, Subcommission on the Economic Burden of Epilepsy: Final report 1998-2001Charles E Begley
School of Public Health, University of Texas-Houston, Houston, USA
Epilepsia 43:668-73. 2002
- Concordance of survey and billing data in a study of outpatient healthcare cost and utilization among epilepsy patientsDavid R Lairson
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, School of Public Health, Center for Health Services Research, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Epilepsy Res 87:59-69. 2009..The results suggest that correlates of cost and cost estimates derived from survey data may yield similar findings to cost estimates from billing data for policy related studies of epilepsy patients...
- Expanding the scope of health reform: application in the United StatesCharles E Begley
The University of Texas Houston, School of Public Health, 77225, USA
Soc Sci Med 55:1213-29. 2002..Differences in the two views are illustrated by describing state reforms in the US using the market-minimizing/maximizing framework and evaluating the reforms based on the health-related framework...
- Prevention of herpes simplex virus eye disease: a cost-effectiveness analysisDavid R Lairson
Department of Management and Policy Sciences, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 1200 Herman Pressler St, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Arch Ophthalmol 121:108-12. 2003..To estimate the cost of treating herpes simplex virus (HSV) eye disease, and to evaluate the incremental cost-effectiveness of chronic suppressive antiviral prophylaxis for reducing ocular HSV recurrences...
- Temporal and geographic variation in the use of hematopoietic growth factors in older women receiving breast cancer chemotherapy: findings from a large population-based cohortXianglin L Du
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 1200 Herman Pressler Dr, Room RAS E631, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Clin Oncol 23:8620-8. 2005..We performed descriptive and exploratory analyses on the patterns and correlates of the use of hematopoietic growth factors in community-dwelling elderly patients...
- Evaluating outcomes of HIV prevention programs: lessons learned from Houston, TexasCharles E Begley
The University of Texas Houston, School of Public Health, 77030, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 14:432-43. 2002....
- Emergency department diversion and trauma mortality: evidence from houston, TexasCharles E Begley
School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, USA
J Trauma 57:1260-5. 2004..This study examined the relation between trauma death rates and hospital diversion in the Houston emergency medical service area...
- Medical emergency department utilization patterns among uninsured patients with psychiatric disordersJacques Baillargeon
Preventive Medicine and Community Health, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
Psychiatr Serv 59:808-11. 2008..This study examined medical emergency department utilization for patterns among uninsured patients with psychiatric disorders...
- Economic evaluation of epilepsy treatment: a review of the literatureDominic C Heaney
Institute of Psychiatry, Kings College London, England
Epilepsia 43:10-6. 2002..Health outcome measures are defined and data sources described. Methods for assessing the direct and indirect costs, and/or cost savings, with a treatment's use, are explored. Directions for future research are identified and discussed...