- Changes in hippocampal gene expression after neuroprotective activation of group I metabotropic glutamate receptorsMorten Blaabjerg
Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 117:196-205. 2003..By providing insight into genes involved in neuroprotection these data may help to identify novel therapeutic targets...
- Neuroprotective effects of extracellular glutamate are absent in hippocampal organotypic cultures treated with the amyloid peptide Abeta(25-35)A Baskys
Department of Physiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, M5T 2S8, Canada
Brain Res 907:188-94. 2001..These data suggest that one of the mechanisms responsible for amyloid toxicity may be inhibition of the survival promoting effects of extracellular glutamate...
- Group I metabotropic glutamate receptors reduce excitotoxic injury and may facilitate neurogenesisAndrius Baskys
Department of Mental Health, VA Health Care System, Mental Illness Research and Education Clinical Center, Long Beach, University of California at Irvine, 06 116A, 5901 East Seventh Street Long Beach, CA, 90822 Irvine, CA, USA
Neuropharmacology 49:146-56. 2005....
- Lewy body dementia: the litmus test for neuroleptic sensitivity and extrapyramidal symptomsAndrius Baskys
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of California at Irvine, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:16-22. 2004..Quetiapine has been shown to reduce psychiatric manifestations of DLB without causing neuroleptic sensitivity or increasing EPS. Hence, quetiapine is an attractive candidate for the treatment of psychoses in DLB and other dementias...
- Understanding regulation of nerve cell death by mGluRs as a method for development of successful neuroprotective strategiesAndrius Baskys
06 116 VA Health Care System MIRECC, 5901 E 7th Street, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
J Neurol Sci 229:201-9. 2005..Combined pharmacological targeting of these processes may provide basis for clinical trials of effective neuroprotective compounds...
- Activation of neuroprotective pathways by metabotropic group I glutamate receptors: a potential target for drug discovery?Andrius Baskys
Southern California Institute for Research and Education, Long Beach, California 90822, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1053:55-73. 2005..These findings expand our understanding of the role that mGluRs play in regulation of nerve cell susceptibility to injury and should facilitate the design of novel therapeutic strategies for stroke and other neurodegenerative diseases...
- Haloperidol and loxapine but not clozapine increase synaptic responses in the hippocampusA Baskys
Department of Physiology, University of Toronto, Ont, Canada
Eur J Pharmacol 235:305-7. 1993..These data suggest that haloperidol and loxapine may act by enhancing excitatory synaptic transmission in some areas of the brain, and that novel antipsychotic clozapine differs in its mechanism of action...
- Vascular dementia: pharmacological treatment approaches and perspectivesAndrius Baskys
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of California at Irvine, Irvine, California, USA
Clin Interv Aging 2:327-35. 2007....
- Rab-mediated endocytosis: linking neurodegeneration, neuroprotection, and synaptic plasticity?Andrius Baskys
Memory Disorders Program, VA HCS Long Beach, 5901 E 7th St 06 116 A, Long Beach, CA 90822, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1122:313-29. 2007....
- Recognizing and responding to atypical antipsychotic side effectsJeanne M Jackson-Siegal
J Am Med Dir Assoc 5:H7-10. 2004
- Neuroprotection against NMDA excitotoxicity by group I metabotropic glutamate receptors is associated with reduction of NMDA stimulated currentsMorten Blaabjerg
Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Southern Denmark-Odense, Denmark
Exp Neurol 183:573-80. 2003..We conclude that neuroprotection induced by activation of group-I-mGluRs involve mGluR1 and is associated with decreased NMDA-stimulated currents...
- Antisense oligonucleotide against GTPase Rab5b inhibits metabotropic agonist DHPG-induced neuroprotectionAndrea L H Arnett
Southern California Institute for Research and Education (SCIRE, USA
Brain Res 1028:59-65. 2004..These data suggest that neuroprotection by DHPG against NMDA-mediated injury may involve facilitation of NMDA receptor endocytosis likely stimulated by DHPG-induced increase in Rab5b synthesis...