Teresa L Deshields
Affiliation: Barnes-Jewish Hospital
- The persistence of symptom burden: symptom experience and quality of life of cancer patients across one yearTeresa L Deshields
Siteman Cancer Center, Barnes Jewish Hospital, 4921 Parkview Place, MS 90 35 703, St Louis, MO, 63110, USA
Support Care Cancer 22:1089-96. 2014..The purpose of this longitudinal study was to track the symptom experience in a sample of cancer patients, determine the persistence of cancer symptoms and symptom burden, and examine the relationship between symptoms and QOL over time...
- The state of psychosocial services in cancer care in the United StatesTeresa Deshields
Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes Jewish Hospital and Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Psychooncology 22:699-703. 2013..In 2009, the APOS commissioned a survey of its members and attendees of the annual meetings in 2008 and 2009. The goal of the survey was to assess the scope of psychosocial support services for cancer patients in the USA...
- Documenting the symptom experience of cancer patientsTeresa L Deshields
Siteman Cancer Center, 4921 Parkview Place, MS 90 35 703, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Support Oncol 9:216-23. 2011..Symptom experience is complicated, reflecting symptom prevalence, frequency, and severity. Symptom burden is associated with treatment tolerance as well as patients' quality of life (QOL)...
- Psychosocial aspects of caregiving: perceptions of cancer patients and family caregiversTeresa L Deshields
Siteman Cancer Center, Barnes Jewish Hospital, 4921 Parkview Place, Mailstop 90 35 703, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Support Care Cancer 20:349-56. 2012..We also evaluated the association of demographic and clinical variables with self-reported caregiving needs...
- Providing care for the "whole patient" in the cancer setting: the psycho-oncology consultation model of patient careTeresa L Deshields
Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine and Barnes Jewish Hospital, 4921 Parkview Place, Mailstop 90 35 703, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Clin Psychol Med Settings 17:249-57. 2010..The paper also addresses the unique challenges encountered in working with cancer patients, as well as programmatic difficulties that are inherent in providing mental health care in a medical setting...
- The Cancer Pain Inventory: preliminary development and validationTeresa L Deshields
Psycho Oncology Service, Alvin J Siteman Cancer Center, Washington University School of Medicine and Barnes Jewish Hospital, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Psychooncology 19:684-92. 2010..This paper describes development and pilot testing of a preliminary version of the CPI and describes its psychometric properties including its reliability and validity relative to established pain measures...
- Psychological status at time of diagnosis and patients' ratings of cosmesis following radiation therapy for breast cancerTeresa L Deshields
Alvin J Siteman Cancer Center, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Psychosoc Oncol 25:103-16. 2007..We conclude that Cosmesis is a multifaceted construct that incorporates both physical and psychological factors...
- Differences in patterns of depression after treatment for breast cancerTeresa Deshields
Alvin J Siteman Cancer Center, 4921 Parkview Place, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Psychooncology 15:398-406. 2006..QOL scores also distinguished the groups in that Never Depressed patients demonstrated better QOL than all other groups. The findings have implications for understanding resilience in cancer patients...
- Ending treatment: the course of emotional adjustment and quality of life among breast cancer survivors immediately following radiation therapyTeresa Deshields
Alvin J Siteman Cancer Center, Barnes Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Support Care Cancer 13:1018-26. 2005..This study investigated changes in psychological adjustment and quality of life among breast cancer patients following completion of radiation therapy...
- A prospective longitudinal clinical trial evaluating quality of life after breast-conserving surgery and high-dose-rate interstitial brachytherapy for early-stage breast cancerAdam A Garsa
Department of Radiation Oncology, Siteman Cancer Center, Barnes Jewish Hospital and Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 87:1043-50. 2013..To prospectively examine quality of life (QOL) of patients with early stage breast cancer treated with accelerated partial breast irradiation (APBI) using high-dose-rate (HDR) interstitial brachytherapy...
- Assessment of consent capability in psychiatric and medical studiesRaymond C Tait
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, Saint Louis University School of Medecine, St Louis, MO 63104, USA
J Empir Res Hum Res Ethics 6:39-50. 2011..Implications are discussed relative to the apparent overprotection of participants in psychiatric trials and underprotection of those in medical trials...