Affiliation: Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
- Lasota J, Miettinen M. Clinical significance of oncogenic KIT and PDGFRA mutations in gastrointestinal stromal tumours. Histopathology. 2008;53:245-66 pubmed publisher..GISTs with secondary mutations in exon 13 and 14 are sensitive to sunitinib, another tyrosine kinase inhibitor. KIT and PDGFRA genotyping is important for GIST diagnosis and assessment of sensitivity to tyrosine kinase inhibitors. ..
- Lasota J, Fetsch J, Wozniak A, Wasag B, Sciot R, Miettinen M. The neurofibromatosis type 2 gene is mutated in perineurial cell tumors: a molecular genetic study of eight cases. Am J Pathol. 2001;158:1223-9 pubmed..The coexistence of NF2 gene mutations and LOH at the NF2 locus indicates that the NF2 tumor suppressor gene is altered in PNTs by the two-hit mechanism. ..
- Lasota J, Stachura J, Miettinen M. GISTs with PDGFRA exon 14 mutations represent subset of clinically favorable gastric tumors with epithelioid morphology. Lab Invest. 2006;86:94-100 pubmed..In four cases with moderate or high malignant potential GISTs, a long-term follow-up (average 235.5 months) showed favorable course of disease. ..
- Lasota J, Wasag B, Dansonka Mieszkowska A, Karcz D, Millward C, Rys J, et al. Evaluation of NF2 and NF1 tumor suppressor genes in distinctive gastrointestinal nerve sheath tumors traditionally diagnosed as benign schwannomas: s study of 20 cases. Lab Invest. 2003;83:1361-71 pubmed..However, lack of NF2 alterations strongly supports the hypothesis that GI schwannomas represent a morphologically and genetically distinct group of peripheral nerve sheath tumors that are different from conventional schwannomas. ..
- Lasota J, Miettinen M. KIT and PDGFRA mutations in gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GISTs). Semin Diagn Pathol. 2006;23:91-102 pubmed..Mutation genotyping is a tool in GIST diagnosis and in assessment of sensitivity to kinase inhibitors. This is a US government work. There are no restrictions on its use. ..
- Lasota J, Corless C, Heinrich M, Debiec Rychter M, Sciot R, Wardelmann E, et al. Clinicopathologic profile of gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GISTs) with primary KIT exon 13 or exon 17 mutations: a multicenter study on 54 cases. Mod Pathol. 2008;21:476-84 pubmed publisher..The latter is also true for all KIT exon 17 mutant GISTs. ..
- Lasota J, Fanburg Smith J. Genetics for the diagnosis and treatment of mesenchymal tumors. Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2007;11:215-30 pubmed publisher..Cytogenetic and molecular genetic alterations identified in various mesenchymal tumors are often valuable for diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment strategies...
- Lasota J, Kuban W, Wardelmann E, Debiec Rychter M, Merkelbach Bruse S, Sciot R, et al. KIT codon 558 insertions in gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Analysis of 17 rare KIT mutants. Hum Pathol. 2008;39:1728-36 pubmed publisher..Moreover, KIT codon 558 insertions might indicate an increased risk of malignant behavior for gastric gastrointestinal stromal tumors. ..
- Lasota J, Wang Z, Sobin L, Miettinen M. Gain-of-function PDGFRA mutations, earlier reported in gastrointestinal stromal tumors, are common in small intestinal inflammatory fibroid polyps. A study of 60 cases. Mod Pathol. 2009;22:1049-56 pubmed publisher..We also suggest that these polyps may develop from earlier described PDGFRA-positive mesenchymal cells distributed along the villus membrane after oncogenic PDGFRA activation. ..