Affiliation: Arizona State University
- Race/ethnic and nativity disparities in later life physical performance: the role of health and socioeconomic status over the life courseSteven A Haas
Center for Population Dynamics, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 3701, USA
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 67:238-48. 2012..We also examine whether detailed measures of childhood and adult health and socioeconomic status (SES) mediate race/ethnic differences in physical performance...
- Childhood health and labor market inequality over the life courseSteven A Haas
Arizona State University, Tempe, USA
J Health Soc Behav 52:298-313. 2011..Part of the child health earnings differential is accounted for by selection into diminished educational attainment, the earlier onset of chronic disease in adulthood, and, particularly for men, labor force participation...
- Health and the structure of adolescent social networksSteven A Haas
Arizona State University, Tempe, 85287 3701, USA
J Health Soc Behav 51:424-39. 2010..These results also have implications for social network research, expanding the scope of factors responsible for the network positions individuals occupy...
- Life course determinants of racial and ethnic disparities in functional health trajectoriesSteven Haas
School of Social and Family Dynamics, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287 3701, USA
Soc Sci Med 70:240-50. 2010..However, the impact of childhood insults is largely mediated by more contemporaneous factors. We also find little evidence that the impact of life course factors varies across groups...
- Health and the educational attainment of adolescents: evidence from the NLSY97Steven A Haas
School of Social and Family Dynamics, Arizona State University, PO Box 873701, Tempe, AZ 85287 3701, USA
J Health Soc Behav 49:178-92. 2008..The findings highlight a potentially important role of health selection processes in generating socioeconomic inequalities in early adolescence to young adulthood...
- Trajectories of functional health: the 'long arm' of childhood health and socioeconomic factorsSteven Haas
Arizona State University, School of Social and Family Dynamics, P O Box 873701, Tempe, AZ 85287 3701, USA
Soc Sci Med 66:849-61. 2008..While both childhood and adult factors influence the baseline level of functional limitation, only childhood health and socioeconomic status are associated with the rate of change in limitations over time...
- The long-term effects of poor childhood health: an assessment and application of retrospective reportsSteven A Haas
Center for Population Dynamics, School of Social and Family Dynamics, Arizona State University, P O Box 873701, Tempe, AZ 85287 3701, USA
Demography 44:113-35. 2007..These associations are independent of childhood and current socioeconomic position and health-related risk behaviors...
- Health selection and the process of social stratification: the effect of childhood health on socioeconomic attainmentSteven A Haas
School of Social and Family Dynamics, Center for Population Dynamics, Arizona State University, PO Box 4802, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA
J Health Soc Behav 47:339-54. 2006..The results further show that socioeconomic health gradients are best understood as being embedded within larger processes of social stratification...
- Trajectories of depressive symptoms from adolescence to young adulthood: Chinese Americans versus non-Hispanic whitesAngela Chia Chen Chen
College of Nursing and Health Innovation, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ 85004, USA
Res Nurs Health 34:176-91. 2011..Neither socioeconomic status nor acculturation was significantly associated with the differences in the trajectories. Our findings suggest a need for greater attention to Chinese American adolescents' psychological well-being...
- Engaging families to prevent substance use among Latino youthAngela Chia Chen Chen
Arizona State University, College of Nursing and Health Innovation, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
J Spec Pediatr Nurs 15:324-8. 2010..Family-Centered Care provides a forum for sharing information about basic components of caring for children and families, including respect, information sharing, collaboration, family-to-family support, and confidence building...
- Overweight, obesity, and health-related quality of life among adolescents: the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent HealthKaren C Swallen
Demography and Ecology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53705, USA
Pediatrics 115:340-7. 2005..We investigated the association between obesity and health-related quality of life in a nationally representative sample of adolescents...