Affiliation: Arizona State University
- Sexual health and quality of life among male veterans with intestinal ostomiesMichelle R Symms
Indiana University, Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
Clin Nurse Spec 22:30-40. 2008..We examined quantitative and qualitative data to examine sexual functioning, intimate relationships, and health-related quality of life (HR-QOL) among military veterans who are living with an intestinal stoma...
- Spanish translation and cross-language validation of a sleep habits questionnaire for use in clinical and research settingsCarol M Baldwin
Center for World Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Arizona State University, College of Nursing and Health Innovation, 500 North 3rd Street, Phoenix, AZ 85004, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 8:137-46. 2012..To translate, back-translate and cross-language validate (English/Spanish) the Sleep Heart Health Study Sleep Habits Questionnaire for use with Spanish-speakers in clinical and research settings...
- Obstructive sleep apnea and ischemic heart disease in southwestern US veterans: implications for clinical practiceCarol M Baldwin
College of Nursing, Arizona State University, Southwest Borderlands Initiative, Tempe, AZ, 85287 2602, USA
Sleep Breath 9:111-8. 2005..07-8.42]. These data reinforce the importance of recognizing OSA within the veterans affairs health care system and suggest that early detection of OSA may improve veterans' health and well-being and reduce associated medical costs...
- Differences in Mexican American and Non-Hispanic White veterans' homocysteine levelsCarol M Baldwin
Arizona State University College of Nursing and Healthcare Innovation, Southwest Borderlands, AZ 85004 0698, USA
J Nurs Scholarsh 39:235-42. 2007..To compare homocysteine (Hcy) levels and possible modulatory factors, such as nutrient or supplement intake, between Mexican American and Non-Hispanic White (NHW) male military veterans scoring at high- versus low-risk for stroke...
- Antioxidant nutrient intake and supplements as potential moderators of cognitive decline and cardiovascular disease in obstructive sleep apneaCarol M Baldwin
College of Nursing, Arizona State University Southwest Borderlands, P O Box 872602, Tempe, AZ 85287 2602, USA
Sleep Med Rev 9:459-76. 2005....
- Repeated aerosol-vapor JP-8 jet fuel exposure affects neurobehavior and neurotransmitter levels in a rat modelCarol M Baldwin
Arizona State University College of Nursing and Healthcare Innovation Southwest Borderlands, Phoenix, Arizona 85004 0698, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 70:1203-13. 2007....
- Influence of intestinal stoma on spiritual quality of life of U.S. veteransCarol M Baldwin
Arizona State University College of Nursing and Healthcare Innovation, Phoenix, AZ 85004 0698, USA
J Holist Nurs 26:185-94; discussion 195-6; quiz 197-9. 2008..To examine spiritual quality of life (QOL) of veterans with intestinal ostomies...
- Gender differences in sleep disruption and fatigue on quality of life among persons with ostomiesCarol M Baldwin
Office of World Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Arizona State University, College of Nursing and Healthcare Innovation, Phoenix, AZ 85004, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 5:335-43. 2009..The aim of this study is to examine differences in sleep disruption and fatigue of men and women colorectal cancer (CRC) survivors with intestinal ostomies and associated health-related quality of life (HR-QOL)...
- Sleep disturbances, quality of life, and ethnicity: the Sleep Heart Health StudyCarol M Baldwin
Arizona State University College of Nursing and Health Innovation, Phoenix, AZ 85004, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 6:176-83. 2010..To compare health-related quality of life (HR-QOL) across subgroups defined by sleep disturbances and ethnicity...
- Evidence-based practice as holistic nursing researchCarol Baldwin
College of Nursing and Healthcare Leadership, Arizona State University, USA
Beginnings 25:16. 2005
- Longitudinal evaluation of sleep-disordered breathing and sleep symptoms with change in quality of life: the Sleep Heart Health Study (SHHS)Graciela E Silva
College of Nursing and Health Innovation, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ 85004 0698, USA
Sleep 32:1049-57. 2009..The present study evaluates the association among changes in sleep disordered breathing, sleep symptoms, and quality of life over time...
- Relationship between reported and measured sleep times: the sleep heart health study (SHHS)Graciela E Silva
College of Nursing and Healthcare Innovation, Arizona State University, Phoenix, AZ 85004 0698, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 3:622-30. 2007..This study compared sleep times from polysomnography (PSG) with self-reports of habitual sleep and sleep estimated on the morning after a PSG in adults...
- Coping and acceptance: the greatest challenge for veterans with intestinal stomasRobert S Krouse
Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Psychosom Res 66:227-33. 2009..Intestinal stomas (ostomies) create challenges for veterans. The goal of this qualitative analysis was to understand better patients' perspectives regarding their greatest challenge...
- Individual differences in response to randomly assigned active individualized homeopathic and placebo treatment in fibromyalgia: implications of a double-blinded optional crossover designIris R Bell
Department of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Altern Complement Med 10:269-83. 2004....
- Complementary and conventional medicine: a concept mapCarol M Baldwin
Southern Arizona VA Health Care System, Research Service Line, Tucson, AZ, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 4:2. 2004..The objective of this study is to describe and interpret the results of concept mapping with conventional and CAM practitioners from a variety of backgrounds on the topic of CAM...
- Treatment of seasonal allergic rhinitis using homeopathic preparation of common allergens in the southwest region of the US: a randomized, controlled clinical trialLinda S Kim
Southwest College Research Institute, Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine and Health Sciences, Tempe, AZ 85282 1751, USA
Ann Pharmacother 39:617-24. 2005..Studies using homeopathy have reported beneficial effects from treating allergy-related conditions...
- Electroencephalographic cordance patterns distinguish exceptional clinical responders with fibromyalgia to individualized homeopathic medicinesIris R Bell
Department of Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA
J Altern Complement Med 10:285-99. 2004..e., both locally and globally)...
- AHNA survey findingsCarol M Baldwin
Arizona State University, College of Nursing, Southwest Borderlands, Tempe, Ariz, USA
Beginnings 26:9. 2006
- Association of usual sleep duration with hypertension: the Sleep Heart Health StudyDaniel J Gottlieb
The Pulmonary Center, Boston University School of Medicine, 715 Albany Street, R 304, Boston, MA 02118 2394, USA
Sleep 29:1009-14. 2006..This study assesses the relationship between usual sleep duration and hypertension in a community-based cohort...
- Obstructive sleep apnea-hypopnea and neurocognitive functioning in the Sleep Heart Health StudyStuart F Quan
Department of Medicine, Arizona Respiratory, Sleep Disorders and General Clinical Research Centers, University of Arizona College of Medicine, 1501 North Campbell, Room 2305 Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Sleep Med 7:498-507. 2006..In clinical samples, patients with OSAH frequently are found to have deficits in neuropsychological function. However, the nature and severity of these abnormalities in non-clinical populations is less well defined...
- JP-8 jet fuel exposure and divided attention test performance in 1991 Gulf War veteransIris R Bell
Research Service, Southern Arizona VA Health Care System, USA
Aviat Space Environ Med 76:1136-44. 2005..These syndromes often involve neurocognitive complaints, fatigue, and musculoskeletal symptoms, thus overlapping with civilian illnesses from low levels of environmental chemicals, chronic fatigue syndrome, and fibromyalgia...
- Evidence-based practice in the holistic nursing processEllen Fineout-Overholt
Center for the Advancement of Evidence Based Practice, Arizona State University College of Nursing, Tempe, USA
Beginnings 25:13. 2005
- Sleepiness in patients with moderate to severe sleep-disordered breathingVishesh K Kapur
Department of Medicine, University of Washington Sleep Disorders Center, Box 359803, 325 Ninth Avenue, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Sleep 28:472-7. 2005..We investigated the prevalence of sleepiness as well as factors associated with sleepiness in individuals with moderate to severe sleep-disordered breathing (apnea-hypopnea index > or = 15)...
- Associations between gender and measures of daytime somnolence in the Sleep Heart Health StudyCarol M Baldwin
College of Medicine and Arizona Respiratory Center University of Arizona, Tucson 85724 50301, USA
Sleep 27:305-11. 2004..To examine the relationship of gender to subjective measures of sleepiness, including the Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS), in a community-based population...
- Sleep disordered breathingCarol M Baldwin
Arizona Respiratory Center, 1501 North Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724 5030, USA
Nurs Clin North Am 37:633-54, vi. 2002..Epidemiology, pathophysiology, behavioral manifestations, cardiovascular comorbidity, clinical evaluation, and treatment for OSA are the main topics covered. The article concludes with the role of the nurse in SDB...
- The VA Ostomy Health-Related Quality of Life Study: objectives, methods, and patient sampleRobert S Krouse
Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Tucson, AZ 85723, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 22:781-91. 2006..The focus groups further evaluated barriers, concerns, and adaptation methods and skills...
- A profile of military veterans in the southwestern United States who use complementary and alternative medicine: implications for integrated careCarol M Baldwin
Southern Arizona Veterans Administration Health Care Service Line, Tucson, USA
Arch Intern Med 162:1697-704. 2002..Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) use and expenditures are on the rise in the United States. Although civilian users of CAM have been well described, little is known about military veteran users of CAM...
- Hormone replacement therapy and sleep-disordered breathingEyal Shahar
Division of Epidemiology, University of Minnesota, 1300 South Second Street, Suite 300, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:1186-92. 2003..36; 95% confidence interval, 0.21 to 0.60). If the observed associations are causal, hormone replacement therapy could have a role in preventing or alleviating sleep-disordered breathing...
- Homeopathic practitioner views of changes in patients undergoing constitutional treatment for chronic diseaseIris R Bell
Program in Integrative Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724 5153, USA
J Altern Complement Med 9:39-50. 2003..To identify areas that classical homeopathic practitioners would want to see evaluated in a patient self-report questionnaire sensitive to change during constitutional treatment...
- Associations between chemical odor intolerance and sleep disturbances in community-living adultsCarol M Baldwin
Department of Medicine, University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, 1501 North Campbell Avenue, Tucson, AZ 85724 5030, USA
Sleep Med 5:53-9. 2004..To investigate associations between sleep disturbances and chemical odor intolerance (COI), which is the subjective report of feeling ill from common odors, such as carpet glue or pesticides...
- Strength of vital force in classical homeopathy: bio-psycho-social-spiritual correlates within a complex systems contextIris R Bell
Department of Medicine and Program in Integrative Medicine, University of Arizona, Tucson, 85724 5153, USA
J Altern Complement Med 10:123-31. 2004..To explore associations between a global rating for the classical homeopathic construct of vital force and clinician and patient ratings on previously validated bio-psycho-social-spiritual questionnaires...
- Comorbidities play a larger role in predicting health-related quality of life compared to having an ostomySushma Jain
Center for Surgical Outcomes and Quality, Department of Surgery, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 10833 Le Conte Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Am J Surg 194:774-9; discussion 779. 2007..Previous research suggests an ostomy worsens health-related quality of life (HR-QOL), but comorbidities also can affect HR-QOL...
- Demographic, clinical, and quality of life variables related to embarrassment in veterans living with an intestinal stomaKimberly A Mitchell
School of Nursing, Indiana University Purdue University at Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs 34:524-32. 2007..The study aims were to identify demographic, clinical, and quality of life variables related to embarrassment for people living with ostomies and to determine the experiences and/or feelings of veterans who were embarrassed by their ostomy...
- A mixed-methods evaluation of health-related quality of life for male veterans with and without intestinal stomasRobert S Krouse
Southern Arizona Veterans Affairs Health Care System, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona, USA
Dis Colon Rectum 50:2054-66. 2007..Intestinal stomas have a major impact on Cases' lives. It is essential to better understand the areas in which interventions may help to minimize the negative consequences...
- US military veterans' perceptions of the conventional medical care system and their use of complementary and alternative medicineKendall Kroesen
Research Service Line, Southern Arizona VA Health Care System, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85723, USA
Fam Pract 19:57-64. 2002..One reason for increasing use of CAM modalities may be dissatisfaction with the conventional care system. However, recent studies suggest that dissatisfaction is not a major factor...
- Spanish Translation and Validation of Sleep MeasuresCarol Baldwin; Fiscal Year: 2007..The Spanish-translated sleep questionnaire will provide for planned NIH funding of epidemiologic, education, intervention and evidence- based outcomes studies of sleep disorders in Spanish-speaking Mexican Americans. ..